Which manufacturers should I look at for 8 rd magazines?? - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 09-18-2018, 12:24 PM

Which manufacturers should I look at for 8 rd magazines??

I'm think of adding a .45 1911 to my CCW and I'd like to see if 8 rd magazines are worth using. To date I've had no issues with 7 rd Check Mates----are the 8 rounders as well behaved?
Old 09-18-2018, 12:33 PM

Iíve been abusing 8 cmc power mags in competition for over a year they are still going strong
Old 09-18-2018, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Joseph View Post
I'm think of adding a .45 1911 to my CCW and I'd like to see if 8 rd magazines are worth using. To date I've had no issues with 7 rd Check Mates----are the 8 rounders as well behaved?
While some of the standard length 8 rounders work fine, if I wanted 8 rounders these days, I'd choose one with a longer tube length. Some examples would be the Wilson ETM, McCormick RPM, Tripp, or CheckMate Extended tube mags.

In general, I like CheckMate's mags, but their non-extended tube 8 rounders are the only mags, out of my eclectic collection of 1911 mags that I wouldn't buy again.

Wilson ETM https://shopwilsoncombat.com/45-ACP/products/378/

McCormick RPM https://www.cmcproducts.com/Railed-P...-RPM_c_52.html

Tripp http://www.trippresearchinc.com/8r-45-rg/

CheckMate https://www.topgunsupply.com/check-m...-s-rb-ext.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2018, 12:43 PM

Tripp Cobramags and Wilson ETM HD/+P

Life Member-National Rifle Association, Member-Texas State Rifle Association
Old 09-18-2018, 12:49 PM

+1911 on Tripp Cobras.

They are good to go.
Old 09-18-2018, 02:25 PM

Good information---thanks!
Old 09-18-2018, 05:31 PM

Yep, add me to the Happy Tripp Cobra Camp. I use them in my USPSA single stack gun. Dropping them on the ground (dirt, grass, concrete). Never skip a beat. Easy to pop apart for a quick cleaning too.
Old 09-18-2018, 05:50 PM

Tripp!!!
Old 09-18-2018, 06:05 PM

Wilson ETM or Tripp cobra
Old 09-18-2018, 06:10 PM

CMC all the way.

I suspect its a Ford, Chevy, Dodge debate, but I've had real good luck with Chip McCormick power mags.
Old 09-18-2018, 06:44 PM
Super Moderator

I have several of the Wilson 500 HD/+P mags for .45 ACP, had them since they first came out, used the heck out of them in training classes, and have yet to wear out even a spring. They have the flat wire magazine spring, and it is imperative to follow the "break-in" on it by loading and leaving for a week, but the results are pretty darn amazing for reliability and longevity in my experience.

Army M.P. 1971 - 1972
Wilsons: Several; Kimbers: 10mm (Wilsonized), .38S (Wilson barrel)
Old 09-19-2018, 01:15 AM

Wilson ETM's. And if you feel like spending the money for the heavy duty flat wire springs, I'd do that. If not, I'd get the regular ones and upgrade the springs to flat wires when it's time.

If you really need a second choice, I would go with Tripp Cobra Mags but only for 45acp. If it were for 9mm I would go with Wilson. Period.

But with any 1911, I always suggest buying a single mag first and making sure it runs with both your target ammo and your hollow points. If all goes well, buy as many as you need. Some 1911's can be finicky.

Also note that a while back Wilson Combat bought Chip McCormick. So I gotta believe CMC mags are pretty good but I don't have any direct experience with them.
Old 09-20-2018, 01:41 PM

My 5" 1911 will function with flush CMC power mags and any extended mag. But my commander length 1911 does not like the flush 8 round power mags.

I don't see a reason for me to buy the fancy Wilson 8 rounders when more affordable magazines work just as well. Even being dropped during competition all my mags have worked.
Old 09-20-2018, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 230slugster View Post
My 5" 1911 will function with flush CMC power mags and any extended mag. But my commander length 1911 does not like the flush 8 round power mags.
Just for clarity, McCormick doesn't make a flush fit "PowerMag". The "Shooting Star" and "Match Grade" models are available as flush fit mags, but all the PowerMag models have an extended tube (not a lot) and a bumper pad.
Old 09-20-2018, 03:30 PM

I like the extended 8rd tubes.
For 45 I use: Tripp, CMC PM/PM+/RPM, WC ETM.

Most respect for CMC PM series as bang for the buck workhorses.
I have a dinged up (dropped on gravel) old set that just go & go & go. I'd probably do RPM if I was buying a new set. I doubt WC has plans to change that design anytime soon.
Old 09-20-2018, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeti View Post
I like the extended 8rd tubes.
For 45 I use: Tripp, CMC PM/PM+/RPM, WC ETM.
Also for clarity, while the McCormick PowerMag is not a flush fit mag, I'd not consider it an "extended tube" in relation to what most consider an extend tube mag these days.

The CMC PowerMag and Wilson 47D mags are longer than an 8 round CMC Shooting Star that is a flush fit mag, but both the PowerMag and 47D are shorter than "true" extended tube mags such as Tripp Cobra Mags, Wilson ETM, and CMC RPM mags. These new generation of extended tube mags were designed as 8 rounders and not merely 7 rounders modified to hold 8 rounds.
Old 09-20-2018, 03:46 PM

Fair enough
Old 09-20-2018, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtq View Post
... all the PowerMag models have an extended tube (not a lot) and a bumper pad.
Quote:
JTQ wrote,
I'd not consider it an "extended tube" in relation to what most consider an extend tube mag these days.
I'm part of the problem.
Old 09-20-2018, 09:06 PM

I've only ever used Wilson 47D and ETMs but I can recommend both.
Old 09-20-2018, 09:22 PM
1911 Aficionado

I've never used anything but 8-rounders, for two-plus decades.
Unless there's something wrong with the gun or the ammo, quality 8-rounders should work.
Old 09-22-2018, 05:06 AM

Wilson ETM's were built from the ground up as a 8 round magazine.
Old 09-22-2018, 11:47 AM

I have had great success with Mec Gar 8rd mags in my gun. No issues in 8 or 9 years with multiple magazines from them. But, that is my gun, things may be different for you. Not downing Chip, Wilson or Tripp either.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Old 09-22-2018, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Joseph View Post
I tend to use Chips for almost all purposes - but I'm only a daily carry / b-o-b shooter now and my competitive and military shooting is far in the past. Throughout it all, though, zero issues with Chips. I do rotate mags, and replace mag springs when I detect wear. The personal experience trust factor is all I can claim with CMC. As always, YMMV. All in all, I think there's lots of good product out there.

The only general exception I have to the above is that is my sometimes carry - a pretty, and old, Detonics MKII that the previous owner put a non-Pach MSH with one piece magwell on. With that, rather than way-expensive factory originals which would need a base pad, I use Wilson 47 Sentinels. And I've had nothing but super luck with them. I just don't have much experience with Wilson full size mags. (Yes, I know, Chip has something like this, just started with the Sentinels...)

On the topic of MecGar, all my wide bodies (Para, Springer and RIA) have Para (made by M-G) or M-G marked 14 rounders in them. All have worked well for me - but I do not carry the big guys. (Smile)

~

In addition to recommendations above, there's some rumor (means I have not personally seen a government purchase order to confirm) that FBI HRT's Springer Op Rails are going to government users with Metalform 8 rounders now. That's the Metalform Elite 45.747H blackened stainless. And sorry, also don't know whether SA is shipping "civilian" CRG with the Elites, but I'd suspect they still come with the regular ss mags. My CRG, manufactured last year, came with the ss. I recently put a couple Metalforms on order, but have no experience to report. My point is that those shooters are heavily using those guns and mags - maybe they'd be good for carry.

If someone who can speak to that authoritatively is willing to go on the record, I, for one, would like to hear more about it. Think we'd all like to have the very best and reliable components for carry purposes.

Last edited by Operator45; 09-22-2018 at 02:19 PM.
Old 09-22-2018, 07:56 PM

What about OEM Colt magazines? I understand they've gone to eight rounders. Any good? I don't know if they are Metalform or Checkmate these days, or if they are extended tube

Last edited by John Joseph; 09-22-2018 at 07:59 PM.
Old 09-23-2018, 11:56 AM

I bought a bunch of Metal Form when Midway was selling them for around $14.00. Both 9mm and .45ACP. Used in Ruger, Springfield Armory and RIA.
All have performed to perfection.

I'll admit I've not been into 1911s very long and use mine for range guns but I can't understand $40.00 magazines and yes I have a couple.