Some choices for new grips - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 07-13-2017, 08:13 PM

Some choices for new grips

One of the things that seems to get changed first on your new Hi Power is the grips. Some folks like a handful when the grab their pistol while others want to thin down that double-stack grip frame. Here are some common options from thinnest to thickest (more or less).

I had a set of photos posted on Photobucket, but they want to charge you for linking to you own photos from an outside web page. So, I thought I’d share my stuff here as thumbnail/attachments.

Navidrex Thin Black Micarta Combat Grips

These are about as thin a grip as can be had for the Hi Power. My grips have seen some use, so ignore any scuff marks you see. I'm trying to show how thin and flat they are. If you have small hands or you are used to single stack guns you may want to give these a try.

They are very thin, very flat, and the controls (safety & mag release) are very easy to get to. You'll notice the screw head stick up a little from the grips in the profile photos. I don't notice the screws when I'm shooting, but you can see them in the photos.
Attached Thumbnails
Navidrex1_left.JPG   Navidrex2_bottom.JPG   Navidrex3_front.JPG   Navidrex4_rear.JPG   Navidrex5_left_corner.JPG  
Old 07-13-2017, 08:17 PM

Hogue grips

The Hogues wood grips are thinner than standard factory wood and most other grips. They are not as thin as Navidrex and don't feel quite the same as Spegels because they are flat whereas Spegels taper to the edges. They have a nice smooth area for your thumb. They are very nice grips and can be ordered with full checkering if that is your preference. These are rosewood, but Hogue has a nice variety of wood and G10 grips.

The last photo shows the Hogue next to the Navidrex.
Attached Thumbnails
Hogue1_left.jpg   Hogue2_bottom.jpg   Hogue3_front.jpg   Hogue4_rear.jpg   Hogue5_left.jpg   Butttobutt1.jpg  

Last edited by vmr357; 07-13-2017 at 08:38 PM.
Old 07-13-2017, 08:20 PM

VZ Pro Slims

VZ Pro Slims grips are a good choice for those who may be looking for some slim Micarta grips for their Hi Power. They are very thin along the front strap, nicely rounded along the back strap, the sides are quite flat and fairly smooth considering they are textured. There is a definite taper to the front, sort of wedge shaped. They are only slightly thicker than the Navidrex Micarta grips which are flat. There is no palm swell in either of these grips. For the swell, you would need VZ Palm Swell, Spegel, or Mil-Tac grips. Hogues have a similar wedge shape, but are slightly thicker.
Attached Thumbnails
VZ1left.JPG   VZ2bottom.JPG   VZ3front.JPG   VZ4rear.JPG   VZ6frontcorner.jpg   VZ6rearcorner.JPG  

Last edited by vmr357; 07-13-2017 at 08:44 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2017, 08:26 PM

Spegel grips

It seems we're always comparing one brand or another against Craig Spegel's work. I'm sure many are familiar with Spegel grips for 1911, HPs and S&W revolvers. His Hi Power grips are just as good. They offer the best of both worlds in my opinion. They are very thin along the edges, but have a very nice palm swell. There is some thickness in them, but they don’t feel thick. I have an older set of African blackwood that have very fine grain and a purplish tint. I also have a new set of coco bolo grips that are very red and have a nice grain.
Attached Thumbnails
Spegel1_left.jpg   Spegel2_bottom.jpg   Spegel3_front.jpg   Spegel4_rear.jpg   Spegel5_frontleft.jpg   Spegel22_bottom.jpg  

Spegel23_front.jpg   Spegelgrip.jpg   Spegel25_left.jpg  

Last edited by vmr357; 07-13-2017 at 08:47 PM.
Old 07-13-2017, 08:28 PM

VZ Palm Swell

VZ has several textures and colors to choose from. They have come out with a palm swell version that is like the Spegel or MIL-TAC grips. These are Palm Swell Diamond Backs, but is a diagonal pattern. Their texture is not quite as aggressive as the MIL-TAC diagonals or some of the other VZ styles. Very nice and quite comfortable.
Attached Thumbnails
VZPS1_left.jpg   VZPS2_bottom.jpg   VZPS3_front.jpg   VZPS4_rear.jpg   VZPS5_contour.jpg  
Old 07-13-2017, 08:30 PM

MIL-TAC grips

You don't see much about these grips, but the MIL-TAC G10 are what I’m using on my carry gun these days. They have a very nice shape, thin around the edges and a nice palm swell without being too thick. They come in diamond or diagonal texture patterns and for colors they have black, OD green, tan, earth, and mine are black and gray. The two-tone grips are a little loud, but I like them. They have a lot of texture, but aren't too rough on my desk jockey hands.
Attached Thumbnails
MilTac1_left.JPG   MilTac2_bottom.JPG   MilTac3_front.JPG   MilTac4_rear.JPG   MilTac5_contour.JPG   MilTac7.JPG  

Last edited by vmr357; 07-13-2017 at 08:49 PM.
Old 07-13-2017, 08:32 PM

Herrett grips

The Herrett grips or stocks as they call them, are full sized grips. These are Coco Bolo and fully checkered. They are smooth along the back and quite wide. You can see the swell of the thumb rest and how wide the grips are. They really fill the hand. The checkering is quite sharp and covers most all the surfaces, but along the backstrap they are smooth. They feel quite good in the palm of your hand but it can make for a long reach to the trigger. Herrett Stocks can be custom ordered with several checkering patterns, but the basic full checked grip is quite inexpensive. If you have big hands and want to fill them up, these are what you are looking for.
Attached Thumbnails
Herrett1_Left.jpg   Herrett4_bottom.jpg   Herrett2_front.jpg   Herrett3_rear.jpg   Herrett4_left corner.jpg   Herrett5_contour.jpg  

Old 07-13-2017, 08:58 PM

Nicely done.
This has me wanting to try the Mil-Tacs.
Old 07-13-2017, 10:04 PM
Administrator

Excellent thread. I just made it a sticky for reference.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 07-16-2017, 11:30 PM

Vern, how do the VZ Palm Swell grips feel in comparison to the Mil-Tacs?

I have two sets of the Mil-Tacs, and I really like them, but I've been told that contacting Mil-Tac and ordering them is difficult these days.

I've also been eyeing a set of the Hogue G10 piranha grips. Decisions, decisions...

Wes
Old 07-17-2017, 06:40 AM

BHP grips

Informative thread. Thanks for the photos

This is my MKII (IDF surpus) "shooter" with Hogues. Not as thin as Navridex, but thinner than Herrets. Just right for me.

Old 07-17-2017, 11:51 AM

If you want a set of thin wood grips, it's hard to beat the Hogues. Those are a nice looking set you have VIS35. That's another thing about Hogue, you can get a nice selection of wood from them.
Old 08-05-2017, 04:44 PM

VMr357, I am new here but I wanted to thank you for this great post. Just bought my first Browning High Power, a new commercial bright blue MK3. Your post was perfect for me. As I am about to buy new grips. again, Thanks for taking the time so I can make a (very) informed decision...
Old 08-12-2017, 05:46 PM

I find the Hi Power a bit thin to my hands, so I like to bulk up the grip a bit to best position my triggerfinger; Spegels are too thin for me, unfortunately, but I've had excellent results with Hogue's rubber fingergroove grips, and am not experimenting with a set of Hogue's "Seconds" checkered G10s.

Best, Jon
Old 08-12-2017, 07:14 PM

Nothing wrong with rubber grips. Most of my S&W revolvers have Hogue rubber grips and I've got a Pachmayr or two. If your fingers line up with the grooves then a finger groove grip is great. I have a tendency to move my fingers around, perhaps more that I should. So I don't use them on my HP. For some reason they don't bother me on the revolvers. I have heard of people grinding off the bumps on the Hogue, but that seems a bit extreme to me.

As for filling up your hands, Herrett's will do the job. The walnut grips are very reasonably priced direct from Herrett or from Brownells. You see them on ebay from time to time.

Last edited by vmr357; 08-12-2017 at 07:19 PM.
Old 08-13-2017, 09:59 PM

vmr357,

Thank you!

Best,

Scott
Old 08-14-2017, 09:02 PM

I have large hands. The Spengels feel thin/small for me . but the factory grips feel too "squareish" and weird. Like helding the proverbial 2x4. For reference both the Sig 226/228/229 AND the CZ 75 feel great. So I am not a new shooter. So my question is, will the Herrett stocks fill my hand without that square feeling? Thanks again for the advice.
Old 08-14-2017, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHPshooter View Post
Vern, how do the VZ Palm Swell grips feel in comparison to the Mil-Tacs? ....
Wes
Hey Wes, sorry haven't been watching this thread closely enough. I'd say the VZ PS grips are a little fatter than the Mil-Tacs because of their palm swell. The Mil-Tacs have more of a taper to them. Otherwise they feel very much alike to me. The VZs have a funny, hollow sound if you tap them with your fingernails. I guess that's the difference in the materials. I tried the Hogue G10 grips on my Sig, but didn't like them very much. How's work coming? Keeping busy I hope. Vern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigwally View Post
I have large hands. The Spengels feel thin/small for me . but the factory grips feel too "squareish" and weird. Like helding the proverbial 2x4. For reference both the Sig 226/228/229 AND the CZ 75 feel great. So I am not a new shooter. So my question is, will the Herrett stocks fill my hand without that square feeling? Thanks again for the advice.
Sigwally, I'm not sure what to tell you. I have a P6, P227, & SP2022 (Lg grip) and I'd say they all feel great to me. I think they have an oval shape to their grips. (I think the P6 has an almost perfect fit for my hand.)

The Herretts are very broad across the back of the grip frame. The wood is quite thick there. But they taper to the front, so I don't think they are like the factory woods or those plastic G**** guns. They have that little hump that lifts your trigger finger and makes a sort of thumb rest on the other side. For a little more than $30 I don't think you'd be out too much to try them out. I think Herrett's walnut grips have to be the best bargain in wood grips out there.
Old 08-17-2017, 05:12 PM

Vern, Thanks for the advice. I will buy a set of Herretts as soon as $$ permits. Your right, $30.00 is not too much to find out. I just received Steven Camps book in the mail from his wife. I recommend it HIGHLY for anyone wanting to further their education on the P-35 series.
Old 08-17-2017, 05:41 PM

Great write-up. Thank you for taking the time to do this.
Old 08-20-2017, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigwally View Post
I have large hands. The Spengels feel thin/small for me . but the factory grips feel too "squareish" and weird. Like helding the proverbial 2x4.
Exactly!
I've got a box with the different HP grips I've tried over the years.
Old wooden HP, Hogue rubber, Hogue aluminum, and Spaegels.
Can't find the ones that feel "perfect" for me.
Currently running the Spaegels on it again, out of all of them that I've tried, I still like them the best even though they feel "skinny" to me.
Old 08-20-2017, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SigDog View Post
Exactly!
I've got a box with the different HP grips I've tried over the years.
Old wooden HP, Hogue rubber, Hogue aluminum, and Spaegels.
Can't find the ones that feel "perfect" for me.
Currently running the Spaegels on it again, out of all of them that I've tried, I still like them the best even though they feel "skinny" to me.
Craig will build whatever you want, if his 'standard' grips are too skinny, just ask him to make them bigger.
L.
Old 08-22-2017, 02:43 PM

Hey SigDog, Sounds like we have exactly the same hands! If the Herretts work out for me I will let you know. Will be in about 4 weeks before I have the extra $$$...
Old 09-14-2017, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmr357 View Post
Hey Wes, sorry haven't been watching this thread closely enough. I'd say the VZ PS grips are a little fatter than the Mil-Tacs because of their palm swell. The Mil-Tacs have more of a taper to them. Otherwise they feel very much alike to me. The VZs have a funny, hollow sound if you tap them with your fingernails. I guess that's the difference in the materials. I tried the Hogue G10 grips on my Sig, but didn't like them very much. How's work coming? Keeping busy I hope. Vern
No worries, Vern -- I haven't been paying very close attention to the thread either, so I certainly can't go casting stones.

Thanks for the info! Heaven knows I probably don't need another set of grips...

Work is good. Staying busy, and actually making a really good dent in wait times! That reminds me, I should post some new pictures.

Thanks again for the great info and pics in this thread! If I get some new grips, I'll share some pictures here.
Old 10-16-2017, 07:12 PM

I read this thread with great interest and your photos are very informative as well.

I just got a FM M90 Detective. It did not come with the usual FM Pachmyr-esque grips but rather Hogue overmold rubber grips. The seller claims they came with the gun, and the gun appears to be unfired to me.

I want to set the gun up for carry and want to replace the grips accordingly. I see Bud’s has some “Uncle Mike's Browning Hi-Power Rubber Replacement Grips Designed by Renowned Oregon Gripmaker Craig Spegel” and wonder if anyone has tried them. They look identical to the Spegel grips you photographed, just in black rubber.

Are they worth trying or should I look at VZ or real wood?

Thanks.