Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 12-26-2019, 05:07 PM

FEG Hi Power Question, for owners

Anyone ever seen this.

I've bought 2 PJK-9HP marked FEG's the past year or so, these 2 here

The 1st at the top, 100% direct copy outside of the FEG style safety. The latest at the bottom, with what looks like a 1911 style slide stop.

What I noticed was this

That has the "normal" cutout for the slide stop, which also means if I want to down the road I can install the SFS style safety system on it.

The newest has this

A 1/2 "arrow" shaped cutout for the slide stop. In my mind this means installing the slide stop the SFS system offers a pain in the butt, I would have to file out the cut to fit it in.

I'll end up installing the system in the 1st one, and dropping the mag safety. I tried having a local smith polish the trigger on the top one, didn't help much and the bottom one has it removed and the trigger is MUCH better of course on it.

Anyone have a FEG like mine on the bottom?
Old 12-26-2019, 05:56 PM

Not unusual to see the different FEG P9 or KBI PJK 9HP configurations. Some also have flared grips as well as a ventilated rib. I collect FEGs, and have a mixture of configurations with the Browning style safety and slide release, a modified slide release and Browning small safety, FEG extended safety and Browning slide release (like in your top photo) and FEG extended safety and modified slide release.

Who knows why. FEG production and serial numbers are all a mystery.

But as you noted, the cuts in the slide are different, much small notch for the FEG style slide stop. It is my understanding they were manufacturing the different styles simultaneously.

In Decoding the FEG HI Power, author Jerry Paregien calls the FEG P9 with the extended safety and modified slide stop the P9M. Link to Jerry's book
https://www.amazon.com/Decoding-F%C3...7400502&sr=8-1

BTW, FEG Hi Power clone triggers can run the full spectrum from god awful to excellent. KBI also sold the PJK 9HP with a Smith and Wesson operating system.

Here are two of my FEGs

Old 12-26-2019, 06:07 PM

I installed the SFS system on my FEG PJK 9HP, which has the 1911 style slide stop. I filed the SFS slide stop engagement point to mate with the slide notch and not the slide. It worked out quite well.

"That which you come by too easily, you value too lightly."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2019, 06:40 PM

Interesting. I'd looked at FEG's several times over the years but never seemed to buy one, I had 4 FN and 1 FM made HP's until 2011 when I traded one in when I bought a Colt 6920 and sold the FM. I figured I could always snag another FN or FEG model down the road not counting on FN dropping the model.

Odd's are I'll install the SFS on the 1st FEG I bought so I won't have to worry about modifying anything.
Old 12-28-2019, 03:41 AM

Which of the two has the higher serial number, the one with the 1911 slide stop cut out, or the one with the BHP style slide stop cut out? The PJK-P9M had everything (in basic theory) compatible with BHP parts, including the barrel lug. If I had a theory I'd guess the one with the BHP style slide stop cut out has a later serial number as they may have been moving towards total BHP parts compatibility over the period of years when they were being made. Still kick myself for not buying one at a gunshow back in 2004 for $200. NIB with three 14rd mags. I don't remember which PJK model it was, but when I got back to the table shortly after looking at it, it was gone.

Last edited by PsychoSword; 12-28-2019 at 03:44 AM.
Old 12-28-2019, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychoSword View Post
Which of the two has the higher serial number, the one with the 1911 slide stop cut out, or the one with the BHP style slide stop cut out?
Interesting question PsychSword. Mine is serial number 143XX and it features the BHP style slide stop.

While it seems to be fully compatible with all BHP parts, I was unable to install an SFS kit... the sear spring kept falling out. It was poorly finished, with burrs on the inside of the frame around the hole for the safety lever.
Old 12-28-2019, 12:34 PM

My early 1985/86 Kassnar imported (Kassnar marked FEGs predate KBI imports) PJK 9HP FEGs have flared grips, 1911 style slide stop and the small BHP style safety. Serial numbers are F168XX and F178XX. Both also have the flared grip. Neither of these have an FEG logo (FEG in a six sided polygon), and are marked FEG Budapest.

I have a ribbed CAI FEG PJK 9HP, F373XX, 1911 style slide stop, BHP style small safety, standard grip, and no FEG mark or logo. Marked FP9, Made in Hungary, along with caliber.

I have a group of FEGs with a B prefix (all KBI imports) and serial numbers ranging from B05493 to B93035. The earlier serial numbers have the BHP style slide stop and the BHP style thumb safety. The higher serial number, B930XX has the 1911 style slide stop and FEG extended thumb safety. I have a spare FEG slide, B876XX which also has the 1911 style slide cut. All of these have the FEG logo and are marked Made in Hungary.

I have another spare slide with an L prefix, L311XX with a BHP style slide cut. Not a KBI import and no FEG logo, only markings are Made in Hungary, FEG-Budapest

I have two Luger FEGs, each with a B prefix B344XX and B585XX, both with the BHP style slide stop and safety.

I dont have any G prefix FEGs.

My Charles Daly pistols have the BHP style slide top with the FEG extended safety.

Observations from my collection (based on serial number, but not accounting for the potential meaning of the alpha prefix) are earlier FEG P9s with 1911 style slide stop and BHP style thumb safety, followed by BHP style slide stop and safety followed by 1911 style slide top and extended FEG style thumb safety. I am sure there are cross overs between the various styles, features, contracts and importers. As an example, the later CD pistols have the BHP slide stop with extended FEG safety.

Does anyone have a clue on the meaning/significance of the prefixes?
Old 12-28-2019, 06:34 PM

All five of my FEG pistols have the small notch and 1911 style lever..I replaced the slide stop on the Metaloy pistol with a standard extended SS Hi Power unit, no alterations were necessary.
Old 12-31-2019, 01:20 AM

Lithuanian Police Hi Power mfg in Hungary

This Lithuanian Police HP made by the Hungarians has the M1911 style slide release.

Lithuanian Police Model P9M Semi-Automatic Pistol, by FEG, #G21839, .40 S&W cal., 4-5/8'' barrel, blue finish, factory checkered black plastic grips, marked ''Lietuva-Policija'', with Lithuanian crest to left side of slide.

Old 01-01-2020, 11:28 AM

I have a "M" SERIES FEG. These are Mod. 80SA, Marketed & stamped by MAUSER - With Mauser-werke Oberndorf Address roll mark & Mauser LOGO (no FEG ID at all).
I rebuilt it - & like it a lot. Feels & Shoots identical to my Tisas BR9S Stainless.
Attached Thumbnails
mauser #3.JPG  
Old 01-01-2020, 05:10 PM

Hey Craig, just wondering on your FEG marked Mauser if the original barrel has what appears to be a date mark on it.

I have two FEG marked Mausers, 80003152 and 80003540 both barrels have 91 next to the Hungarian proof mark. I also have two FEG Luger HP clones, and they are not similarly marked.

Do you have a date mark on your barrel (or anyone else with an FEG Mauser)?

Old 01-01-2020, 10:01 PM

For reference. Here's my P9M and it has the Hi Power slide stop cutout. It is a "G" prefix serial number and just says "Made In Hungary FEG" on the left of the slide.

My second one is a PJK-9HP and it also has the Hi Power slide stop cutout. It is a "B" prefix serial number and has the "FEG" in diamond logo and "Mod.PJK-9HP" above "Made In Hungary" on the left side of the slide.

Old 01-01-2020, 10:28 PM

My FEG Israeli turn inís, all have the small notch and have a G prefix.
Attached Thumbnails
E722D252-46F4-48D5-A86C-60046C64CFB3.jpeg   A0B66644-A5BD-4ACE-A4AD-B741B692EA14.jpeg  
Old 01-03-2020, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddSig View Post
Hey Craig, just wondering on your FEG marked Mauser if the original barrel has what appears to be a date mark on it.

I have two FEG marked Mausers, 80003152 and 80003540 both barrels have 91 next to the Hungarian proof mark. I also have two FEG Luger HP clones, and they are not similarly marked.

Do you have a date mark on your barrel (or anyone else with an FEG Mauser)?

HI TODD, Not sure where I stashed the old original 2 piece barrel. The new Stainless REMSPORT I bought for it only says 9mm. Function over originality won on this one. Works great.
Old 01-07-2020, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crasig View Post
HI TODD, Not sure where I stashed the old original 2 piece barrel. The new Stainless REMSPORT I bought for it only says 9mm. Function over originality won on this one. Works great.
Thanks Craig. If you come across the original barrel, please let me know how it is marked, and if it has a potential date.
Old 01-21-2020, 01:35 PM

Paregien book?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddSig View Post
In Decoding the FEG HI Power, author Jerry Paregien calls the FEG P9 with the extended safety and modified slide stop the P9M. Link to Jerry's book
https://www.amazon.com/Decoding-F%C3...7400502&sr=8-1
Any opinions or reviews of the Paregien book?
USAF Expert Marksman M-16 & .38 Revolver
Old 01-21-2020, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alamo308 View Post
Any opinions or reviews of the Paregien book?
Defintely worth the price several times over.