Ran the Tisas today - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 01-17-2020, 03:19 PM

Ran the Tisas today

I finally got some time to go to the range with the SS Tisas and my Browning Hi Power. I took some 115 gr HP Fed, 147 gr. HP Fed, and 115 Win and Fed ball.

I used the two Mec Gar mags that came with the Tisas, a Browning mag as well as Ram Line stainless 15 rounder and 20 round blue mags from an unknown maker.

The Browning as usual and expected ate all of the ammo flawlessly with all of the mags. The Tisas with the Mec Gar, Browning and blued after market mags also ran like a clock. Slow fire, double taps, rapid fire multiple rounds all went without a hitch. I usually mix ammo in the mag also just for grins.

My problems were with the SS Ram Line mag in the Tisas. Not one round (of ANY ammo above) would chamber all the way. I had to bang the slide shut on the stopped round, it would fire, extract and eject and the next round would stop short and I had to bang the slide into battery again. Switching over to the Mec Gar or Browning mags, it fed and fired fine.

So, bad mag? Nope the Browning works with it flawlessly so there's something different about the Tisas that would not let the SS mag work.

All this time I had the range to myself and I had planned to exchange slides to see if the issue followed a slide but more shooters came into the range and I didn't want to diddle with the issue then and there.

It's not a biggie because the Tisas works like I expected it to, but it's a bit unsettling to know that it's different in some way.

Last edited by gnappi; 01-17-2020 at 03:25 PM.
Old 01-17-2020, 03:25 PM

Still could be a tolerance issue on the mag in the tisas. Check the heights against all of your mags inserted. See if one (the bad one) is a tad taller or shorter. As you figured out it has to be the mag that is the issue.
Old 01-17-2020, 05:41 PM

I would trust my life to the MecGar mags. The prices are good... far better than OEM mags for many other fine pistols. I’ve never even see a Ram mag and it’s likely I never will as there is no need... maybe if they were a dollar each NIB and I wanted 20.

Stick with MecGar in all your High Powers. You can’t go wrong.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2020, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNorris View Post
I would trust my life to the MecGar mags. The prices are good... far better than OEM mags for many other fine pistols. I’ve never even see a Ram mag and it’s likely I never will as there is no need... maybe if they were a dollar each NIB and I wanted 20.

Stick with MecGar in all your High Powers. You can’t go wrong.
My tisas came NIB with mec gar mag. M1911a1 black duty pistol. 5 inch barrel, Novak sights, ambi safety, extended beaver tail, spurless (commander) hammer. It's great for a 400 dollar 1911. Rail to frame fitment is superb.
Old 01-17-2020, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnappi View Post
My problems were with the SS Ram Line mag in the Tisas. Not one round (of ANY ammo above) would chamber all the way. I had to bang the slide shut on the stopped round, it would fire, extract and eject and the next round would stop short and I had to bang the slide into battery again. Switching over to the Mec Gar or Browning mags, it fed and fired fine.
Gnappi, I had the same experience with my black Tisas Br9. I posted this back in Feb of 2018 before the SS BR9s were available. Link is https://forums.1911forum.com/showpos...7&postcount=77

"I finally made it to the range today to try out the Tisas BR9 HP Clone. Initial impressions are very good. The trigger is OK, nothing special and more typical of a Hi Power having the mag safety and no tuning (which it is). I have had better, and I have had worse.

Sights were good, and were more accurate than I could shoot.

I put 200 rounds downrange through the BR9 this morning, using Winchester White Box 115 gr, Aguila 124 gr, and some commercial reloads (Georgia Arms).

For a new pistol, right out of the box using the supplied Mecgar mags, a Browning mag (with mouse trap), and a CDNN parked mag it performed beautifully. No failure to feeds or problems ejecting the spent casings. All 200 rounds fired without a single issue using the quality mags and mixed ammo.

I had brought along two crap mags, one a pro-mag, the other not sure what is was. These were not bought by me, so not sure how many rounds were put through them. It would not function with the crap mags having issues loading. Given the BR9 worked flawlessly with the various ammo and three different, but quality mags, the issue is with the mags and not the BR9."

Last edited by ToddSig; 01-17-2020 at 09:36 PM.
Old 01-17-2020, 09:19 PM

Toddsig, thx for the link, I had not seen that one.

The SS model is equal to the "real thing" in every substantive way, I may not have expressed it above but I am delighted with it especially after installing the very usable Browning ambi safety and extended slide stop / release.

The "bad mag" thing is something I got used to after many years owning Colts which definitely liked well made mags, and I had no qualm with them.

One day I may dig further into that SS mag to see why the Tisas has problems with it, till then if i had to use the Tisas to defend myself I would not hesitate for a second to trust it.
Old 01-17-2020, 10:33 PM

BHSS sells a gauge that allows you to check proper angle on Hi-Power magazines. My guess is that the Ram Line mag is not quite right.

Last edited by Sistema1927; 01-18-2020 at 09:51 AM.
Old 01-18-2020, 03:38 AM

The Tisas is not exactly a carbon copy of the FN Hi-Power. They are differences to be found all over the place and like it was mentioned, where the tolerances in the Hi-Power allow the crappy mag to work it's not the same with the BR9.
You can definitely measure the angle of the first round in the mag but this won't change the fact that your BR9 works good with Mec-Gars. What I mean is stick to the Italians and don't try to make the BR9 a FN

BHSpringSolutions.com - Hi-Power, 1911, CZ75 and Makarov Springs, Grips and Tools
Old 01-18-2020, 07:04 AM

Slav is spot on about that. I like my BR9, and I like my T-series Hi Power, but they do have quite a few physical differences that are visible at a glance plus others that are not so noticable.
Old 01-18-2020, 07:34 PM

I own both but can't readily spot the external physical differences you note. Can you show where the differences are? Thanks Jim.
Old 01-18-2020, 07:46 PM

The off brand mags have a reputation of not working in Hi Powers too, its not just the Tisas
Old 01-19-2020, 09:45 AM

Well, I've sorted out why the Tisas had issues and the HP did not.

The mag spring has way more power than my other mags causing more slide resistance to decelerate the slide not allowing it to go into battery.

The Browning has a stronger recoil spring and the slide to frame fit is looser and slicker than the Tisas making less forward resistance on the slide going into battery.

The Browning slide on the Tisas frame works perfectly. I'm thinking as time goes by the Tisas will break in and it will be more immune to this issue. At any rate, it's no biggie, I just won't use the Ramline (notoriously finicky mags) mag in it.
Old 01-19-2020, 12:11 PM

Is the OEM recoil spring still in the Tisas?

BHSpringSolutions.com - Hi-Power, 1911, CZ75 and Makarov Springs, Grips and Tools
Old 01-19-2020, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slav View Post
Is the OEM recoil spring still in the Tisas?

Yes it is. I don't think Tisas lists the strength of their spring set.

Also the recoil spring from the HP placed in the Tisas still has the issue, so though I've considered doing a complete spring replacement, it runs flawlessly with the other mags, I may hold off for now.