Considering SFS - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 01-01-2020, 02:46 PM

Considering SFS

I have a 1980's Belgium shooter that has been worked by Cylinder and Slide. The trigger is very good. I don't want to mess that up.

I have been away from following this subject for years. I have a few questions.

>Will the SFS provide a 1911 style crisp safety click?

>With the SFS, will the person carrying it be able to feel the hammer is down and, thereby, more easily verify the position of the safety when the gun is holstered?

>What is the best SFS kit or at least the pros and cons of the available SFS kits. I know of C&S and BHSS.

Thanks. And Happy New Year.
Old 01-01-2020, 05:24 PM

There is only one SFS kit. It's manufactured by RDIH in Belgium by the guy who developed it for FN Herstal. For the longest time you could find it only at C&S. I was fortunate to find my first two High Powers with SFS factory installed at FN. Later, when trying to sort it out and buy a kit from C&S for a newly acquired HP, I discovered BHSS with the kit at a lower price. They were super helpful. Really easy to work with and I was able to discuss my apprehensions with one of the owners who is a passionate BHP fan.

I am a BHSS fan. I have long dreamed of having a spare slide cut down to Detective length by C&S.

-When your SFS equipped BHP or 1911 is holstered, you must only touch the hammer to determine if it is "hammer down cocked and locked" or if the hammer is up, ready to fire. You only need to press the hammer forward to put the pistol on safe. To fire, sweep the safety down as normal and the hammer reliably springs back, ready to go.

-When I press my cocked hammer forward to make it safe, there is a definite audible click. Likewise, when disengaging the safety (cocking lever) there is a similar audible click (I just checked to be certain...).

-SFS should not affect the quality of your trigger, but may lighten it by a pound... or maybe not.

-Cons: It's not what JMB designed
-Pros: Had JMB designed SFS, traditional cocked and locked would not exist

All of my High Powers currently feature the C&S trigger and SFS.

Last edited by TNorris; 01-01-2020 at 05:27 PM.
Old 01-01-2020, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNorris View Post

All of my High Powers currently feature the C&S trigger and SFS.
Thank you for the full and complete answers to my questions and more. I am convinced the SFS is what I am looking for.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2020, 11:00 PM

I hope you like it as much as I do!

There is one other odd benefit... when it is locked, you cannot rack the slide nor manually cock the hammer. Once, during an public outing at the CPD qualification range, a friend was shooting my SFS 9 while I was shooting the SFS 40. She had some trouble and the CPD RO, who was very familiar with High Powers, thought the 9 was inoperable... he was not familiar with SFS. He seemed amazed when the hammer sprang back after I pressed the safety lever down. The odd advantage is that anyone not familiar with it may not be able to use it against you quickly should you lose control of it.

I do have one HP that does not have SFS... it’s a 1943 occupation model that I’m kind of keeping in stock condition - except for a full spring replacement. A new SFS sear spring is currently installed and works just fine! Your SFS 2.0 kit will come with two different sear springs. I have a bunch of spares.

Also, SFS is as simple to remove as it is to install.

One day I hope SFS will become available for my Sig P-938 and P-238.

Cheers!