1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 12-14-2019, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimCunn View Post
… I will probably take that opportunity to make the frame edge detailing more closely match the T. The only visible difference that can't be easily modified to match is the vertical width of the frame taper above the grips immediately below the slide serrations (that taper is wider in the BR9 than it is in the T).
Got pics to compare? I've never had access to a TISAS.

Quote:
… I do wish the frame/slide fit on the T weren't so sloppy, but it's been that way for the fifty years that I've owned it...

The T rattles when you shake it; the BR9 doesn't.
The Hi Power responds well to the same frame/slide tightening techniques that we use on the 1911.
Old 12-14-2019, 02:22 PM

"The Hi Power responds well to the same frame/slide tightening techniques that we use on the 1911".

I know, but I've never gotten around to doing it.

I'll take a couple of photos to show the difference in the frame taper above the grips.

Last edited by JimCunn; 12-14-2019 at 02:24 PM.
Old 12-14-2019, 10:28 PM

I purchased my Tisas BR9SS, knowing that I would need to replace a boat load of parts. Why? Because I wanted a stainless HP. The only parts remaining as came from Tisas are the frame and slide. Everything else has been replaced.
Old 12-15-2019, 02:44 AM

Systema 1927, You obviously have invested a pile of moola in your project, wouldn’t one of the hard chrome finishes worked as well and a lot cheaper? This pistol was done in Metaloy many years ago.
Attached Thumbnails
05ED4A5D-75ED-4B41-B171-220C8F476D48.jpeg  
Old 12-15-2019, 08:42 AM

If ya want a nice shooter copy right out of the box, there's nothing wrong with the Tissa. However, if you want a true FN Hi Power shooter, and nice future project to boot, you definitely want one of the Israeli (IDF) surplus MKIIIs; really nice examples being imported by AIM. $400 -$500 range.
Old 12-15-2019, 10:36 AM

"Got pics to compare? I've never had access to a TISAS".

BBBBill,
BR9 is on top.
1969 T-series Hi Power on bottom.
The different frame taper is between the grip and the slide, behind the extended slide stop and in front of the safety. BR9 taper is wider top to bottom.

Note also, the difference in frame shape aft of the trigger guard in the vicinity of the mag release button. And the BR9 has 19 slide serrations while the T has 22.

I have a sentimental attachment to the T that has increased during the fifty years I've owned it, so I don't carry it for defence. No attachment to the BR9 (even though it has a better build quality - so no need to replace parts - except for extended slide stop - I have small hands), so it is intended for carry.

As an aside, I swapped a $57 S&W Chief's Special even for the T and a box of 9mm ammo. I still think that was a good deal 🙂
Attached Thumbnails
20191215_092732_1576424144997.jpg  

Last edited by JimCunn; 12-15-2019 at 11:29 AM.
Old 12-15-2019, 12:44 PM

Quote:
"Got pics to compare? I've never had access to a TISAS".

BBBBill,
BR9 is on top.
1969 T-series Hi Power on bottom.
The different frame taper is between the grip and the slide, behind the extended slide stop and in front of the safety. BR9 taper is wider top to bottom.

Note also, the difference in frame shape aft of the trigger guard in the vicinity of the mag release button. And the BR9 has 19 slide serrations while the T has 22.

I have a sentimental attachment to the T that has increased during the fifty years I've owned it, so I don't carry it for defence. No attachment to the BR9 (even though it has a better build quality - so no need to replace parts - except for extended slide stop - I have small hands), so it is intended for carry.

As an aside, I swapped a $57 S&W Chief's Special even for the T and a box of 9mm ammo. I still think that was a good deal 🙂
I agree re; the FN "T" series HP. I've owned this 1967 example for many years.
Old 12-15-2019, 12:53 PM

Blue has held up well.
Old 12-15-2019, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibmikey View Post
Systema 1927, You obviously have invested a pile of moola in your project, wouldn’t one of the hard chrome finishes worked as well and a lot cheaper? This pistol was done in Metaloy many years ago.
If I was concerned about expense I would stick with a Glock G19 and call it a day.

I have an FN, and FEG as well as the Tisas. Part of the "charm" of the Tisas was the experience of doing it my way. Maybe Momma's boy is really a fool, but I am having fun doing it.
Old 12-19-2019, 01:50 AM

Sistema, Expense was not my point (a Glock ugh ��) Mainly I was trying to introduce my Metaloy finished Hi Power so others would know there is an alternative to Stainless that gives the appearance and a lot of the rust resistance of that material at a relatively low cost. I do not critique the Tisas as I have not owned or even fired one. Hi
Old 12-19-2019, 10:28 AM

I own several Hi Powers, including Browning and FN branded pistols in 9mm and .40, as well as an FEG, an Argentinean produced during the FN license era, and a stainless Tisas BR9. As a precaution I installed the BH Springs reliability kit, as well as an SFS system (as an experiment, turns out I really liked it).

My experience with the Tisas has been 100% positive. For me it's by far the most accurate of my Hi Powers. Stainless means no worries about rust carrying it in hot and humid Texas summers.

My personal view is that you should own several, but I'd unreservedly recommend the BR9 if you want a well made, attractive, highly functional hi power you can shoot as much as you like without feeling like you're damaging the cultural heritage of the world by putting wear on a collectible. And for the price you can buy 2 brand new ones for about what a used original will set you back.

Just my $.02, but I think the Tisas is completely legit.

EDIT: it's not really noticeable to the eye, but the grip dimensions are ever so slightly larger. Pachmyer grips from a stock FN built Browning HP do not fit, too small. Regular grip panels fit perfectly. For me, it's even more comfortable and natural than the original.

Last edited by Desert-rat; 12-19-2019 at 10:37 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 12-23-2019, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crasig View Post
Update: Nothing wrong with BHP, & I do intend to have one - IF the price is right. At present time they are high. There is unique one I want, but can't afford. Being retired & needing upkeep myself - I must satisfy myself with what I already have to enjoy.
I do not put a heavy round count through anything I own - Ammo is expensive.
So I did not go through my Tisas HP & ad new FN or upgraded parts. Partially due to cost, & that I prefer the old style small safety, slide lock, & hammer. So far MY TISAS has performed flawlessly - so I'll wait & see before I replace anything.
MAYBE - Some day I'll find that Grail HP.
Exactly what I would have written about my situation. Even buying the Tisas is something I not only don’t need but I shouldn’t spend the money. I’m going to have to go that route and leave it stock. I will be lucky if it ever sees 500 rounds but I will still feel blessed to own it.
Old 12-27-2019, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert-rat View Post
I own several Hi Powers, including Browning and FN branded pistols in 9mm and .40, as well as an FEG, an Argentinean produced during the FN license era, and a stainless Tisas BR9. As a precaution I installed the BH Springs reliability kit, as well as an SFS system (as an experiment, turns out I really liked it).

My experience with the Tisas has been 100% positive. For me it's by far the most accurate of my Hi Powers. Stainless means no worries about rust carrying it in hot and humid Texas summers.

My personal view is that you should own several, but I'd unreservedly recommend the BR9 if you want a well made, attractive, highly functional hi power you can shoot as much as you like without feeling like you're damaging the cultural heritage of the world by putting wear on a collectible. And for the price you can buy 2 brand new ones for about what a used original will set you back.

Just my $.02, but I think the Tisas is completely legit.

EDIT: it's not really noticeable to the eye, but the grip dimensions are ever so slightly larger. Pachmyer grips from a stock FN built Browning HP do not fit, too small. Regular grip panels fit perfectly. For me, it's even more comfortable and natural than the original.
Great to hear. I have heard mostly good things about the Tisas, and have one on order. It will arrive in a few days. I plan on lubing it and shooting it quite a bit on day one. More to come.
Old 12-28-2019, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnappi View Post
Great to hear. I have heard mostly good things about the Tisas, and have one on order. It will arrive in a few days. I plan on lubing it and shooting it quite a bit on day one. More to come.
I agree with Desert-rat. I love my stainless Tisas BR9.

When the extractor broke at round 361, I just happened to have a spare one at home. I was back at the range the next morning and have not had another problem. The round count is only 1200.

As my BHP collection has grown, so has my collection of spare parts and springs.

Enjoy your new pistol!
Old 12-28-2019, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNorris View Post
I agree with Desert-rat. I love my stainless Tisas BR9.

When the extractor broke at round 361, I just happened to have a spare one at home. I was back at the range the next morning and have not had another problem. The round count is only 1200.

As my BHP collection has grown, so has my collection of spare parts and springs.

Enjoy your new pistol!
I've read of extractor problems a couple of years ago but also read that the importer was getting some changes made to it, I'm guessing yours is newer than a year old or so and the issue was not addressed. I'm going to a few gun shows after the first of the year, and I'll pick up a spare extractor.

One thing a gun maker cannot afford is bad press on a critical gun part failing.

Anyway, I have a mid 90's assembled in Portugal HP that's tight as a clock so I have something to compare it with. Ill see!
Old 12-28-2019, 06:19 PM

Mine is #193 and purchased in mid April, 2018. I think it’s one of the early ones.
Old 12-29-2019, 10:07 AM

Is the hammer bite not as bad on the tisas? I read that somewhere

Also compare trigger to decent 1911?
Old 12-29-2019, 10:38 AM

If your grip is high, you will still experience some hammer bite. With SFS I have never experienced hammer bite.

I’ve found that I shoot my High Powers better with a lower grip that keeps my hand away from the hammer, even with SFS.
Old 12-29-2019, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodooranger View Post
Is the hammer bite not as bad on the tisas? I read that somewhere

Also compare trigger to decent 1911?
It might be because they use the BHP Practical style ring hammer. Which is also my personal preference. But I never had hammerbite with the spur hammer on any BHP either. Only gun I ever got hammerbite with was a WWI style Colt Sistema with the blade style spur hammer.
Old 12-30-2019, 03:03 PM

Well, my Tisas arrived today, and I can see why so many shooters are impressed with it. Without being able to shoot it till tomorrow I can say these things about it.

Of all the SS pistols I've had from Colt, S&W, Beretta and SIG, this one takes a back seat to none in exterior and interior finish, and the slide to frame fit is excellent. The interior (not that it really matters) is actually better finished than my HP assembled in Portugal. The exterior of the barrel is finished /polished very nicely, much like a custom barrel would look for nearly the price of the whole Tisas.

It's not reported anywhere that I've seen, but the barrel is high carbon stainless. A magnet sticks to it but instant gun blue does not stain it.

The safety is really difficult to engage / disengage, but I already have an ambi to replace it with which will go in after the first day at the range with it and my hi power. I also have a chrome extended slide stop / release for it.

I know there are many who feel these add on parts are not needed, but my hands are on the small side and they make the Hi power more modern to be more usable for me.

The trigger is not light my gauge tops out at 5.5 lbs and it's beyond that but it breaks clean without crunchiness.

Finally, the grips are best described as functional pallet wood. I have a pair of rosewood grips which are already on it.

More after I run it through its paces.

PS, it does not have a rail! yay! :-)

Last edited by gnappi; 12-30-2019 at 05:22 PM.