Mag safety removal pics - Page 7 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 09-28-2015, 10:54 AM

So I have a new MKIII manf last year and got the pin out of the trigger easily.
Trying to pry the mag disconnect mech out, the square end broke off the shaft in the trigger. Trigger feels ALOT smoother but now the hammer won't fall at all!
Upon further reading of this thread it seems I may need to have the trigger pin pressed out to remove the entire trigger to get the rest of the mech out.
I guess I should've wiggled the transfer bar more so when trying to get the MD out of the trigger or planned on taking the trigger out altogether.
Now I'm nervous about trying to get the trigger pin out without hurting/scratching the gun and don't really trust the local shop to do so without damage either.
What to do.

Last edited by 03svrider; 09-28-2015 at 01:58 PM.
Old 09-29-2015, 01:36 PM

Fixed!
Took the plastic punch in my kit and drove out the trigger pin. Then took a metal punch and got the pin completely out.
Removed trigger assembly, took transfer bar off, and the remaining piece of the mag disconnect shot out with the spring.
Reassembled and all is well!
Old 12-21-2015, 09:36 PM

Did mine tonight on my 91. I can't tell much difference in the trigger, but the mags defiantly jump out of the gun now. I'm going to the range tommorow to see if I can tell any difference.

It only took me around 15 minutes to do everything if you don't count the 15 minutes or so crawling around on the floor looking for the lever on the side of the trigger.
Old 12-21-2015, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03svrider View Post
Fixed!
Took the plastic punch in my kit and drove out the trigger pin. Then took a metal punch and got the pin completely out.
Removed trigger assembly, took transfer bar off, and the remaining piece of the mag disconnect shot out with the spring.
Reassembled and all is well!
I wouldn't mind more info on the "plastic punch." Or a pic.

Thanks.
Old 05-15-2016, 12:10 AM

He hasn't logged on the forum since last October. Might even be dead...

"I've been up early my whole life, and all that ever did was increase the amount of time during the day something could go wrong." ~ Inspector O
Old 05-23-2016, 09:27 PM

I've done this on 3 different FEG Hi Powers and have never had to remove the trigger pivot pin. So if you're doing this on an FEG, I'd say it's a pretty good bet that you can just remove the pin in the trigger and move the lever inside the frame and the disconnect will pop right out into the mag well. The last one took me all of about 2 minutes. I set the frame on a non-marring surface and cut a paint stick into little 1" long chunks until I could stack them up high enough to support the trigger. Placed them so they were just out of they way of the pin and a couple taps with a punch drove the pin right out.
Old 12-14-2016, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRSW View Post
I've done this on 3 different FEG Hi Powers and have never had to remove the trigger pivot pin. So if you're doing this on an FEG, I'd say it's a pretty good bet that you can just remove the pin in the trigger and move the lever inside the frame and the disconnect will pop right out into the mag well. The last one took me all of about 2 minutes. I set the frame on a non-marring surface and cut a paint stick into little 1" long chunks until I could stack them up high enough to support the trigger. Placed them so they were just out of they way of the pin and a couple taps with a punch drove the pin right out.
+1, There are a couple of good You Tube Videos of the process that will make you very comfortable doing this. I like the one where they use a plastic bottle cap to support the Trigger, & drive out only the mag safety pin. No need to remove entire trigger. My Feg HP's action & trigger pull was noticeably improved.
Old 12-18-2016, 09:10 PM

@ VRSW & crasig: Did you replace the pin in the trigger so that there wasn't a hole there? Just wondering.
Old 12-20-2016, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Coffee View Post
@ VRSW & crasig: Did you replace the pin in the trigger so that there wasn't a hole there? Just wondering.
Hi, No I didn't. I considered doing it for looks - but since it's a good improvement and a plus IMO - I left it out. I did save the pin & safety parts, + original slide lock in a prescription bottle that will go with the pistol, & can be replaced, IF I ever get rid of it.
Old 02-12-2017, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackmore View Post
I just got a NOS FEG P9M from TGI. After reading through this thread carefully, I chose to merely drive the mag disconnect retaining pin from the trigger with the trigger in a supported position. It took longer to cut the support block than to drive the pin out (left to right) with 3 whacks on my smallest diameter rollpin punch.

Trigger pull is noticeably improved and every magazine I tried now drops free where they didn't before. Thanks to the OP for the tutorial and initiation of this discussion.
++1. I also own a FEG Hi Power & found a great You Tube Video showing how to remove the mag safety pin WITHOUT removing the trigger. I followed the instructions finding a plastic bottle cap & hack sawed it to fit the trigger guard. this supported the trigger while I drove out the pin. then using a pick I moved
the upright trigger lever over to the left & pulled the mag safety out toward the rear with a needle nose pliers. Soaking everything in penetrating oil did help, & it was an easy job. I was extra careful & it took about 10 minutes.
Old 03-11-2017, 09:55 PM

Just did mine tonight. I think I watched the same video, but I wound up pulling my trigger out. As soon as I got the little pin out that holds the magazine plunger, it just popped out seeing as it's under pressure from its own spring. I never had an issue with mags not dropping free. Mine's a .40, and my magazines have a little spring on them where they go into the magwell that helps them eject with authority. It did greatly improve my trigger. Easiest mod I ever made to a pistol, wish I had done it the day I got the pistol.

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk
Old 03-18-2017, 10:46 AM

Mag safety

Curious.

Anyone try leaving it in, but stoning (removing some material from) the disconnector surface to reduce pressure on mag?

And/or clipping a coil or 2 from the disconnect spring (or replace with reduced spring)?
Old 04-16-2017, 07:35 AM

Mag disconnector polish

No one responded to my question, so I will add that stoning (600 grit and an Arkansas ultra fine stone) the face of the mag disconnector was easy and productive. Left it in place as mine did not want to slide out at all. Trigger pin was easily removed as It has undoubtedly been done before on my '86 FN Mk II Israeli service pistol (thank you Submoa on that info).

After sanding and stoning the grooves on the face flat as well as the radius of the face, the trigger grittiness was essentially unnoticeable. Don't think I'll bother removing the mag disconnector at all now.
Old 04-25-2017, 05:04 PM

I just finished the, now well documented, mag disconnect removal procedure on my 1969 C model. Yo! The trigger pull is now 4.15lbs (avg) according to my Lyman gauge and very smooth. I'd share the 'before' or oem average pull number, but I wasn't smart enough to remember to test that before yanking the disconnect. Doh.

I am pleased at the ease of performing this procedure due the contribution of so many folks above, and of course the OP. Thank you.

This was only a 10 minute job and I took my sweet time to be extra careful. The 69C model was a breeze to work on. In a few days I'll get to test it at the range to see how it works live.

Last edited by Donny; 04-25-2017 at 07:04 PM.
Old 04-25-2017, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny View Post
I just finished the, now well documented, mag disconnect removal procedure on my 1996 C model. Yo! The trigger pull is now 4.15lbs (avg) according to my Lyman gauge and very smooth. I'd share the 'before' or oem average pull number, but I wasn't smart enough to remember to test that before yanking the disconnect. Doh.

I am pleased at the ease of performing this procedure due the contribution of so many folks above, and of course the OP. Thank you.

This was only a 10 minute job and I took my sweet time to be extra careful. The 96C model was a breeze to work on. In a few days I'll get to test it at the range to see how it works live.

My removal job went very easy just like yours I believe your "C" series gun would be a 1976 and not a 1996. Or do you mean "classic" model ??
Old 04-25-2017, 07:08 PM

Vis35, thank you for catching my error. I edited my post. It should have been 1969C or 69C. I must have contracted dyslexia just before I posted.
Old 04-26-2017, 08:42 AM

Mag Safety

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickster View Post
wow! Took ten minutes and its like a new gun. Trigger is great. Thank you for posting this.
Same here ! Great results

Last edited by VIS35; 04-26-2017 at 08:43 AM. Reason: wording
Old 04-26-2017, 09:31 AM

In my experience, for what it is worth, I have tried this a number of times over the years on a number of guns. What always resulted for me was a long, mushy trigger that was less pleasing that the trigger felt when the gun was left in original condition. I always ended up putting the thing back in so, if nothing else, the gun would at least be original.
Old 06-01-2017, 12:12 PM

first off thank you to the late gentlemen who started this thread and everyone else for posting their feedback on the removal of this caddiewampas disconnect.

2. Why Remove? This gun is going to be primarily for IDPA ESP so drop free mags will be important. Overall do I think it improved the trigger pull? maybe. but the mag issue was the main reason.

As always with any endeavor mechanical, research and the proper tools are your friend. I used my gunsmith brass hammer, 3/32 steel nail punch and brass punch for the job. Thats it.

Pistol is a late 90's Mk3 practical.

So, first I "tried" the so called easy method. I easily removed the disconnect pin, and despite all my moving of the transfer bar thing, and prying on the anvil of the disconnect it wasn't moving. Feeling defeated and questioning my own ability, ( i have worked on numerous other pistols successfully) I did what any gun fan should do. I went and shot it. ALOT. I love the gun, but the mag issue was sticking in my crawl. Bound and determined I departed youtube for the forum here and found the answers I needed. To the gentleman who said "right to left" for the trigger pin. THANK YOU. Who would think the domed surface would indicate where to start hammering out a pin.
I placed my 3/32 nail punch over the dome and gave a gentle tap-tap-tap and saw the pin moved. SO I whacked it so more and out it came.

I pulled the trigger shoe down out of the frame and wouldn't you know it, that caddiewampus anvil and spring shot out smacked the inside of the magwell and cleared the cleared the frame. Farewell caddiewampus device, farewell. Easy enough, wipe the trigger off, and reinserted it into the gun, finish Reassembly, functions check, done. 15 minutes tops but add about 45 minutes of frustration trying to do the "easy method" first.

Again thanks everyone for posting your feedback. To the folks who mentioned that newer hi powers the easy method doesn't work and the gentlemen who said right to left for the removal of the pin. The 3/32 nail punch was very helpful because it didn't flatten the domed pin like a flat headed steel or brass punch might.
Old 11-17-2017, 09:04 PM

Did mine tonight in 15 minutes. Gun was a 1990 build Mk lll Practical, in virtually new condition. I soaked both small and large pins with Kroil for 10 minutes, then tried the small pin with a fitted punch of that dia. It came right out with light taps; right to left. I then spent several minutes trying to gently pry the mag disconnect out with no luck.

At that point I started the larger trigger pin with a nylon faced light weight hammer, right to left, tapping on the round end. I finished with a closely fitted punch and it came right out with no problems.

At that point, I rocked the trigger itself up, slightly and was able to work the disconnect out with no problem. The trigger remained in the gun, and I worked it back around til the pivot pin and hole lined up, then replaced the pin, round end first from left to right.

The trigger is very smooth now, and trigger pull weight an estimated 5 lbs. with a great feel to it...I like that weight in a carry gun, and it's about the same as my 1911's that have been worked over by a good pistol smith...truly remarkable! The gun is virtually new, and previously, the trigger had a lot of creep...almost gritty in feel. It's crisp now.

Magazines will still not drop free however, but do drop 1/2" or so, and require 'stripping'.

HTH's Rod...and BTW many thanks to the dirtbags at photobucket who hold all of our old pictures hostage. I was unable to see any of the previously posted pics, and the 40 or so that I had in my PB account are forever lost to me.

Last edited by Rodfac; 11-17-2017 at 09:08 PM.