searching - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 02-04-2020, 11:20 PM

searching

I am 77 years old and the 1911 platform has for many years been my favorite. I am now selling off some of my many fire arms off to obtaian my last 1911. i am seeking advice on what buy and pass on to my son. so lets hear it from you all.
Old 02-05-2020, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles42 View Post
I am 77 years old and the 1911 platform has for many years been my favorite. I am now selling off some of my many fire arms off to obtaian my last 1911. i am seeking advice on what buy and pass on to my son. so lets hear it from you all.
Do you know how much you plan on spending?
Old 02-05-2020, 02:18 AM

Rogers precision if you want a true top level gun
Carry gun:Wilson Carry Comp Custom .45S Pocket carry:on loan Other 1911s:WC Supergrade Accucomp .38, WC BW Opticomp, WC CQB Compact, WC CQB Professional, WC Super Sentinel, WC CQB Elite 9mm, WC EDC X9, WC X9S, Ed Brown SR, NHC Predator II Opticomp, NHC T3 Hardchrome, Kimber Ultra, ATI Tactical, RIA Tactical 10mm, Kimber Ultra Diamond 9mm, Detonics Combat Master MKVI, Colt Centennial .460 Roland
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2020, 06:44 AM

If you want one to pass on, it's got to be a Colt!
Old 02-05-2020, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striker2237 View Post
Rogers precision if you want a true top level gun
His website homepage says,

http://www.rogersprecision.com/index.html
Quote:
I am overbooked and am not accepting work at this time.
At 77, the OP may not be interested in getting on a long wait list.

I'd probably pick an Ed Brown or Wilson

Ed Brown https://www.edbrown.com

Wilson https://www.wilsoncombat.com
Old 02-05-2020, 07:26 AM

i personally love the look of the cabot damascus guns, would make a great heirloom
Old 02-05-2020, 10:31 AM

I'm with Frank V. A really nice, Vintage Colt or a new National Match or similar top tier Colt.

Just like in knives. If you want to pass on a Randall, don't get one of the many made by other people, get an original.

Btw, I have a Manhattan Arms .36 Navy. Made immediately upon Colt's patent expiring & just in time for the Civil War. It probably was in the war. It's a well-made gun, too.

But 157 years later, it's STILL not a really a .36 Navy, is it?

If I was lucky enough to inherit a 1911 .45 from my Dad, that's what I would want it to be. A Colt.

The Real Deal.
Old 02-05-2020, 01:01 PM

I recommend you don't get just one last 1911, get two. When all is said and done, a full sized government model and a lightweight commander model is all you will ever need. I think Colt is a great heirloom to pass on. Have mods performed at Nighthawk Custom or Wilson. Maybe even talk with your son and get his input.
Old 02-05-2020, 01:47 PM

Quote:
My vote is for a vintage Colt from the Great Depression era like a National Match, Super Match, or Super 38 preferably with box and papers. Here's my 1935 Super 38 for example. There's nothing classier in the 1911 world.

Old 02-05-2020, 02:13 PM

Wilson and Brown are great guns but I am not sure I would consider them heirloom grade unless you get a blued SG or something. You can have Wilson fix up a colt so that it will last long term and they also do awesome finishing work
Carry gun:Wilson Carry Comp Custom .45S Pocket carry:on loan Other 1911s:WC Supergrade Accucomp .38, WC BW Opticomp, WC CQB Compact, WC CQB Professional, WC Super Sentinel, WC CQB Elite 9mm, WC EDC X9, WC X9S, Ed Brown SR, NHC Predator II Opticomp, NHC T3 Hardchrome, Kimber Ultra, ATI Tactical, RIA Tactical 10mm, Kimber Ultra Diamond 9mm, Detonics Combat Master MKVI, Colt Centennial .460 Roland
Old 02-05-2020, 03:08 PM

Piexcel ------------- Dude! I'm drooling over your gun. Classy is right.

That's a true No Excuses pistol right there. As legit as they come.
Old 02-05-2020, 03:27 PM

A WC Supergrade if you don't want to wait multiple years.

And a 1911 is not a platform.
Old 02-05-2020, 03:27 PM

Quote:
My choice would be the Colt Gold Cup National Match Series 70 in 45 ACP. I would get the 1970's original instead of the current remake. Actually, it was made until about 1984.
Old 02-05-2020, 03:32 PM

A Wilson would be my first choice, Nighhawk the second.

Don't trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz. He WILL rip you off.
All my 1911s are in .45acp. Why? Because no one makes one in .46cal.--Me
The 9mm is a SD cartridge fit only for women and Europeans--Me
Old 02-05-2020, 04:10 PM
Super Moderator

When I went looking for an heirloom gun about 8 years ago, I did a lot of looking at full custom and semi-custom makers, and for my purposes Wilson Combat won out. I ended up with a Baron Blued CQB with a few upgrades, including a little gold inlay on the slide that pushed the price to $4500.00 - it was my first heirloom gun to hand down after I get done using it.

I will say though, Piexcel's Colt in .38 Super above is as classy a gun as is made, and I would have no regrets about handing that one down as an heirloom gun; just may take a lot of searching and some time to find one as nice as that one!

Army M.P. 1971 - 1972
Wilsons: Several; Kimbers: 10mm (Wilsonized), .38S (Wilson barrel)
Old 02-05-2020, 05:14 PM

If my 78 year old dad went out looking for a 1911 to leave me someday, I would prefer a recent model from Nighthawk or Wilson. My reasoning is this. I like to shoot my guns. If I were to get a pistol from my dad I would want to carry it and shoot it as much as possible. To protect myself and his grandkids. I would not want to get a safe queen and get it out once a year and look at it and then put it up. My dad is, and has always been my hero. Nothing would please me more than to strap on a 45 acp that he gave me and to use it. Just my two cents though. I shoot my guns. No matter what you choose your son will be pleased as would I.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-05-2020, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisP View Post
If my 78 year old dad went out looking for a 1911 to leave me someday, I would prefer a recent model .... My reasoning is this. I like to shoot my guns. If I were to get a pistol from my dad I would want to carry it and shoot it as much as possible. To protect myself and his grandkids. I would not want to get a safe queen and get it out once a year and look at it and then put it up.
I agree with you, but then I'm not the OP or his kid.
Old 02-05-2020, 05:54 PM

Well, since I’m living day to day my son knows he will be getting all by firearms. I have more than a few Colt 1911’s. Of all of them he said that the Colt Defender that I have carried daily since he was around 12 (he’s 32 now) is the one that means the most to him because it is dads gone. I was surprised at first because the frame has been refinished twice and the slide hard chromed and it’s far from perfect now but it made perfect sense after I thought about it.
So to the original poster, talk to your son, his heirloom gun may be one you already have.
Old 02-05-2020, 07:55 PM
Administrator

Miles42, if you follow Piexcel's suggestion and get a Colt like his you have to adopt me. That's the rule around here.

Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 02-05-2020, 08:52 PM

I fell into a Les Baer TRS 15 years ago. All three of my sons have told me they would rather have my Dad's Remington Rand 1911A1 that he bought from CMP in the 1960s rather than the TRS I carried on duty for ten years. Talk to your son.
Old 02-05-2020, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillW View Post
I fell into a Les Baer TRS 15 years ago. All three of my sons have told me they would rather have my Dad's Remington Rand 1911A1 that he bought from CMP in the 1960s rather than the TRS I carried on duty for ten years. Talk to your son.
Along those lines I have two boys.

My wife and I each managed to get one of the recent CMP 1911's. The question will be who gets the Field Grade, and Who gets the Service Grade.
Old 02-06-2020, 12:39 AM

I'd probably go with a WC Supergrade, Nighthawk VIP or something immediately available (GB.com?) from Cabot, Volkmann, etc.

However...I have no family to leave my guns. So, when I finally turn whatever age I decide to liquidate my colection, my "last" gun will most likely be one of my revolvers so I dont have to rack the slide with my old hands.
Old 02-06-2020, 01:05 AM

Without knowing how knowledgeable your son may be reference firearms, I'll share my 2 worth. There are guns I like better for various reasons, but as something specifically to pass down, I think most heirs would have heard of, and and appreciate, a COLT. IMHO, the first thing the heir will do is look at the slide for a name. Unless the heir is knowledgeable about 1911s, they might look at Nighthawk Baer, Brown, etc, and wonder what kind of "off brand" gun they have inherited. Kind of like some here might look at a High Point they'd inherited. Most people in the US have at least heard the name COLT, and could probably relate it to something having intrinsic value.......ymmv
Old 02-06-2020, 03:30 AM

To the OP....

Lots comments already made. Would be helpful if we knew if you wanted a “shooter” or an “heirloom” gun and your budget. Also, your sons knowledge and appreciation of guns.

If your budget is sub $1000, then there are lots of options....none really heirloom. But if I was your kid, I would want a CMP 1911.

If the budget is bigger I agree with comments above.
Old 02-06-2020, 04:35 AM

My vote would be one of the best custom made 1911's at a great value on todays
market place . ACW Prime or Carry a pistol anyone would be proud to own and
shoot .

https://alchemy1911.com/prime/