1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 01-12-2020, 04:37 PM

Wilson Drop in beaver tail on Colt XSE

Hi all,

I have an early Colt XSE in stainless with the " duckbill" safety. I'd like to replace with a beaver tail drop in from Wilson. I tried once before. I bought the Commander BT from Wilson which is supposed to fit the XSE govt. No way in hell was that even close to fitting. If I placed the BT in the frame and put the ambi thumb safety in place - it was binding in the frame on the safety pin. As soon as the left side safety was in - the BT would bind up. I could not determine where to file to free it up. Ended up butchering the BT. Never got to fitting the tab on the safety which engages the sear because I couldn't get the thing to fit in the frame in the first place.

Any ideas from those experienced?

Thanks!
Old 01-12-2020, 04:42 PM
1911 Aficionado

"All" XSE's had Commander frame tangs, but if you had an oddball with Gov't tangs, there's no way you could get the pin through the "correct" grip safety; did you get a "fitted" grip safety, rather than drop-in, by mistake?
Old 01-12-2020, 06:02 PM

It was part 429SC. Not even close to fitting. This was a "drop in" part. There seemed to be a rubbing or binding in the internal radius on the BT that i cold not identify. Once the safety was in the binding occurred. If I connected the right side ambi safety lever it would not move at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2020, 10:39 PM
1911 Aficionado

If you've already made mincemeat of the safety, I can't make any suggestions, other than to start over.
If the safety is binding against the exterior of the frame, you will have to open up the safety slightly.
Something like a sanding drum on a Dremel would be my tool of choice, fitting it in the way opposite of a "fitted" safety, cutting the inside radius of the safety to match the frame.
Old 01-13-2020, 06:27 AM

I suggest you reinstall the duckbill safety and find another safety to try. 429 SG? A sharpie that is used to color the “internal” areas of the new safety will rub off where it contacts the frame radius. Remove some metal and repeat. You will have to be patient and remove small amounts each time. Or we can refer you to a gunsmith to install a gunsmith fitted safety.
Joe

Last edited by Jolly Rogers; 01-13-2020 at 06:29 AM.
Old 01-13-2020, 02:41 PM

"Drop in" parts for a 1911 rarely drop in.
Old 01-13-2020, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishman33 View Post
It was part 429SC. Not even close to fitting. This was a "drop in" part. There seemed to be a rubbing or binding in the internal radius on the BT that i cold not identify. Once the safety was in the binding occurred. If I connected the right side ambi safety lever it would not move at all.
If you bought it from Wilson, did you order the wrong part or did they ship you the wrong part? If they shipped the wrong part, they should give you the correct part at no charge even though you messed up the part that you received. If you ordered the wrong part, I would still go back to Wilson and talk to them about getting another correct one.
Old 01-13-2020, 02:53 PM

Drop in just means it'll fit with fine tuning.
Old 01-14-2020, 07:42 AM

I ordered another Wilson BT and will give it a go again. I will use the old one that I butchered in all the wrong places to figure out exactly where I need to remove material on the new one. Will post pics and ask questions as needed.

I am also fitting a Wilson short trigger and a non ambi safety. Will do the safety after I am sure the trigger an BT are correct.

Thanks!
Old 01-15-2020, 10:22 AM

"Never got to fitting the tab on the safety".... Might want to check the tab.

The only one of these I tried needed material removed from the tab before the pin could be installed.
Old 01-15-2020, 10:42 AM
1911 Aficionado

Initially, try to install without any internals; one thing at a time.
Old 01-15-2020, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkc1909 View Post
"Never got to fitting the tab on the safety".... Might want to check the tab.

The only one of these I tried needed material removed from the tab before the pin could be installed.
This.
Joe
Old 01-15-2020, 07:41 PM

Thanks for the info. Prior attempt had no interference from the tab. It was binding on the inside of the BT in an area I could not identify. New parts on the way and we will see how it works out. Thanks for the comments!
Old 01-15-2020, 08:49 PM

Drop in beavertails look like pure Hell.

Get a "rat tail" commander safety if you don't want to cut the frame for a beavertail.
Old 01-17-2020, 09:34 AM
1911 Aficionado

Compared to the "fit" of beavertails on some offerings, drop-ins aren't bad; don't compare the fit of a drop-in to a $4000 custom, compare it to a $400 import.
Function of drop-ins can be better, because the longer frame tangs makes it more likely the palm will depress the bottom of the safety rather than the web of the hand levering the safety away from the frame.
Old 01-17-2020, 12:46 PM

There are NO drop in parts. Not even magazines or ammunition. You must either buy tools and learn how to fit parts or pay a smith.
Old 01-17-2020, 06:07 PM

Parts will be here any day now and I will give it a go.
Old 01-18-2020, 05:44 PM

Got it done...

Installed the new Wilson BT along with a short trigger and new single sided safety.

To be clear, the Wilson BT is far from drop in. The insides of the radius need filing in addition to the tab. Otherwise it does not move freely.

Trigger and safety from Wilson were easy. Trigge is great btw.

A pic or two. - not great but ok. It will work for now.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1098.jpg   IMG_1094.jpg   IMG_1097.jpg  
Old 01-18-2020, 05:56 PM
1911 Aficionado

Looks good!
Old 01-18-2020, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickB View Post
Compared to the "fit" of beavertails on some offerings, drop-ins aren't bad; don't compare the fit of a drop-in to a $4000 custom, compare it to a $400 import.
Function of drop-ins can be better, because the longer frame tangs makes it more likely the palm will depress the bottom of the safety rather than the web of the hand levering the safety away from the frame.
RickB, could not agree more. My experience has been very good with the drop ins and the look is very good for a non fitted part.
Old 01-19-2020, 05:49 AM

That actually looks as good as some factory production beavertail model guns.
Joe
Old 01-19-2020, 08:47 AM

Thanks! It did take several hours of fitting mainly because I never did one before. I used the old one to figure it out. Used the sharpie to see where it was binding inside and relived those areas until no sharpie was removed. The frame tang openings also needed to be enlarged. From there the last bit of binding was on the tab in the slot on the frame. Had the BT in and out for what seemed like 100 times to get it to function properly.
Old 01-19-2020, 01:13 PM

Way to stick to it!
Joe