EDC X9 Grip Safety - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 06-18-2017, 10:03 PM

EDC X9 Grip Safety

Perhaps WCR can answer, but I'm interested to know about the thinking behind designing the X9 without a grip safety. I've enjoyed the redundant safeties in the 1911s I have, and wonder if there is any increased risk of accidental discharge when the grip safety is removed.
Old 06-19-2017, 03:51 AM

The discussion is the same as always for the grip-safety on any 1911 (a lot of threads over the years asking this same question). There are pro's and con's, which side one falls on is a matter of opinion....My opinion, GS is not needed and can induce a fatal-flaw (not disengaging) when the SHTF. Even if this happens "once" at the wrong time. After shooting matches for several years, I had to acknowledge, no matter how well it is fitted, and how many thousands of times one practices the draw, the GS creates a risk-factor in a SD-event (an unnecessary risk-factor given the gun already has a thumb safety)...I wish WC made GS optional on all their guns (SVI does).

Last edited by combat auto; 06-19-2017 at 03:55 AM.
Old 06-19-2017, 04:49 AM

I don't think there is. Of course, good safety habits will keep the risk controlled - with or without a safety.

After a few draws from AIWB, I feel like I get a better workin'/shooting Hand Grip without the Grip Safety. I really like it.
John 15:13 - "Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.”
Wilson Combat: XTAC-C 9mm, EDCX9, WC/Hero911 Professional Protector 9mm. Nighthawk Custom: Bobtail'd Bob Marvel. STI: Nitro 10 Tactical 2011. Rogers Precision: Golfballed Kimber Ultra Carry II. Alchemy Custom: Hand of Doom Les Baer Stinger. Ed Brown: SF w/RMR 9mm.

Old 06-19-2017, 08:42 AM

I'm curious how you could have an accidental discharge without a grip safety.

If you grip either a 1911 or X9 with the thumb safety disengaged and pull the trigger, it will fire. Without the trigger being pulled, neither gun will fire.

I can see how grip safeties can make a person feel more comfortable and secure, but I don't think they really offer any advantage in regards to stopping someone from having an accidental/negligent discharge.

As long as your finger is off the trigger until you're ready to shoot, both the 1911 and X9 are equally as safe. My opinion, of course.
1911s: Wilson Combat: Presidential Classic, Tactical Supergrade, Tactical Elite .38S, CQB 9mm, CQB Compact .38S Nighthawk: Bob Marvel .45 and .22 Ed Brown: Classic Custom, Exec Carry, Les Baer: UTC 1.5", TRS Springfield: Pro, Pro LR, Champ Oper Colt: ANVII 100th Anniv Ed Alchemy Custom: Full Custom, Springfield Loaded 9mm, Springfield Mil-Spec
On Order: Wilson EDC X9
Old 06-19-2017, 12:54 PM

the grip safety is an advantage when it comes to reholstering. you can also get an additional measure of safety while reholstering by putting your thumb in front of the hammer.
Old 06-19-2017, 01:57 PM

Also a backup safety for those who carry an ambi-safety... I've never experienced an ambi-safety switching "off" during routine carrying, but others say that they have experienced it ... and it is obviously possible.

I'm happy to have an extra layer of safety.

In interests of a balanced perspective, if someone doesn't practice regularly -- specifically with a 1911 -- then it's easy to fail to depress the grip safety. Those who choose to carry a 1911 should IMHO really spend so much time with a 1911 that squeezing the grip safety truly is an automatic reflex action.

"Freedom is only a temporary thing unless it is backed by the blunt capability and willingness to fight back against evil with sufficient arms." -- Myself
Old 06-19-2017, 02:17 PM

I've never had my finger on the trigger when reholstering. Nor has my trigger ever been caught on anything when reholstering. Guess that doesn't mean it can't happen, but I don't see that being a likely advantage to the grip safety.

I have, however, gripped my gun inadequately, pulled the trigger, and nothing happened. This was due to the grip safety not being deactivated with a proper grip. I can see this being much more of a realistic concern in a high stress situation.
1911s: Wilson Combat: Presidential Classic, Tactical Supergrade, Tactical Elite .38S, CQB 9mm, CQB Compact .38S Nighthawk: Bob Marvel .45 and .22 Ed Brown: Classic Custom, Exec Carry, Les Baer: UTC 1.5", TRS Springfield: Pro, Pro LR, Champ Oper Colt: ANVII 100th Anniv Ed Alchemy Custom: Full Custom, Springfield Loaded 9mm, Springfield Mil-Spec
On Order: Wilson EDC X9
Old 06-19-2017, 02:19 PM

the grip safety is THE safety for me. I do not carry a 1911.

so I do not use the thumb safety on the range at all

nice to know(L2R) that if I drop a 1911 the grip safety will help prevent an AD(I have come close a couple of times because of hand issues I am having)
Old 06-19-2017, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrysanthemum View Post
Also a backup safety for those who carry an ambi-safety... I've never experienced an ambi-safety switching "off" during routine carrying, but others say that they have experienced it ... and it is obviously possible.

I'm happy to have an extra layer of safety.

In interests of a balanced perspective, if someone doesn't practice regularly -- specifically with a 1911 -- then it's easy to fail to depress the grip safety. Those who choose to carry a 1911 should IMHO really spend so much time with a 1911 that squeezing the grip safety truly is an automatic reflex action.
Guess Jeff Cooper didn't practice much, he pinned his ;-)...So do a lot of very experience shooters, especially those who shoot matches.

PS: It is hard to "draw" (lol) any global-conclusions, but I will say, overall, a more experience 1911 shooter will be more likely to give up his GS because they are extremely confident with their manual of arms without the GS, realize the risk it adds in SHTF scenario, and what little value it adds (it does add value but not much).

Last edited by combat auto; 06-19-2017 at 03:09 PM.
Old 06-19-2017, 03:27 PM

Browning High Power had no grip safety... this gun reminds me of almost a cross between the two 1911 & HP ... my two favorite pistols

Last edited by dzaneh; 06-19-2017 at 03:30 PM.
Old 06-19-2017, 05:58 PM

Thanks all for the replies. I am a lefty and would order with the ambi. That said, when I carry my 1911s (IWB), I've not had a thumb safety inadvertently disengaged. As long as the thumb safety disengagement is crisp, I don't see it as an issue.

I re-engage the thumb safety before reholstering, so I don't see a risk of discharge there. I was thinking of different ways in which an X9 with the thumb safety off might be at risk (dropping, drawing, reholstering). I don't see the latter two as risks in the way I practice; someone else told me that dropping wasn't a risk either.

I didn't know if Wilson had a rationale for deletion of the mechanism. Certainly could be more challenging to implement with the new backstrap design.
Old 06-20-2017, 07:18 AM

Have Experienced Ambi Switch OFF!

Fortunately I always have my finger frame or above on draw. I've not had this happen even once on a gun without Ambi-safety, but during the brief time I carried one with ambi, several times I found my thumb safety switched off. I'm 6'1' and about 240 at 63 yoa. Still carry as part of my work. Was very comforted by the GS at those times. Still, you bet I got rid of the ambi, immediately. For lefties and some others they may be great, but not for me! Also, only grip safeties I've had fail to engage were with speed bumps with thumb riding manual safety. Maybe I'm a little odd?
Old 06-20-2017, 07:25 AM

I put a larger (Cylinder & Slide) safety on my Hi Power. When I fitted it, I purposely left it a bit tight to reduce the risk of that safety disengaging while carrying it IWB. I can see how an ambi could be disengaged while carrying and brushing up against something. Would not be a good thing on a Hi Power
Old 06-20-2017, 09:11 AM

Carried one for three tours and never had a negative issue with the grip safety. Four wars should have proved the designs worth.
Old 06-20-2017, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vactor View Post
the grip safety is an advantage when it comes to reholstering. you can also get an additional measure of safety while reholstering by putting your thumb in front of the hammer.
Really... I'm carrying and practicing with my X9 from a holster. As I draw and clear the holster I sweep the safety off... When re-holstering I sweep the safety on before inserting the X9... And I certainly don't put a thumb in front of the hammer... There's no issue here... The X9 safety definitively "clicks" on and off... I can't imagine it being "accidently" switched off. If you haven't handled an X9, you're going to discover this is really a "non issue" looking for traction...

And CalvinH, the grip safety was eliminated because of the design and double stack magazine... You have to give up something to get a weapon this trim and compact. When you get one, pull the grips, you will understand!
Wilson Combat Professional Lightweight, Wilson Combat EDC X9

Last edited by Stealth01; 06-20-2017 at 05:15 PM.