New Sig Sauer P220 Carry, Failure to fire. - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 06-17-2017, 03:28 PM

New Sig Sauer P220 Carry, Failure to fire.

Hello. I had a 20% failure to fire with my new Sig Sauer P220 Carry in single/double action. Not a failure to feed or eject. A round would be in the barrel and the trigger had zero lbs of spring pull. Like the trigger was disengaged.
When I got the gun home I cleaned it & re-lubed. And installed a new set of rubber grips. I went to shoot the gun and had a failure to fire 20% of 100 rounds fired. This being very unusual being my 3rd Sig P series. After finish shooting and being very unhappy. I went in the house & cleaned/re-lubed the gun. Figuring I would have to send the gun back to the factory. I tried to repeat the scenario with the magazine installed or removed. It failed miserably in both modes.
Then the light came on. I removed the rubber grips and re-installed the factory rosewood grips. I again tried to repeat the scenario. Now the problem no longer exists. Was the decocker hung up? The rubber grips that I bought are the premier name brand. Is it a fault with the grip? I cannot say for sure. Is it the way that I installed them? Maybe. Thankfully the problem is gone.
Old 06-17-2017, 10:55 PM

They could be. I made a mistake installing an SRT kit, and the gun would not cock with a magazine inserted. However, removing the right side grip resolved the issue.

See if there looks like there was some wear on the inside of the new grips. You could also dust the inside of the grips with chalk, reinstall and dry fire them. Then take them off and see where the chalk was removed or transfered.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Old 06-18-2017, 09:09 AM

I have a P220 Carry SAS Gen 2, as well as some other P220s.

The P220 trigger bar is different from other SIGs like the P226 in that the disconnector tab is outside the frame while the P226's trigger bar disconnector is "inside" the frame. '
The P220's right grip actually contributes to holding the trigger bar in place. If incorrect grips are installed, or the grip screws are too loose on the factory grip panels, the trigger bar can actually slip past the tab on the sear. This prevents the trigger bar from actuating the hammer.

I had a bent trigger bar on my P220 SAS Gen 2 that was causing this to happen in SA mode. I think I bent it trying to remove the single-piece E2 grip. But after I replaced the trigger bar and tightened down the factory 2-piece grip panels I installed, no more issues.

Both incorrect grips or a bent trigger bar can cause what you are describing. But since you said the problem went away with the factory grip, your problem is the rubber grips.

One other thing to look for is the hammer pivot pin. If that gets pushed too far to the left, the back end of the trigger bar can "jump" that pin and cause failures to fire. This is fairly rare and should not occur with proper grips installed properly.

I hope this helps.

Last edited by GoneBallistic; 06-18-2017 at 09:12 AM.

Old 06-18-2017, 10:25 AM

I recently saw where some Sig pistols use different hammer struts with different grips. Just an idea.
Old 06-18-2017, 12:37 PM

Here is a picture of my P220 SAS Gen 2 Carry when it had the bent trigger bar.
The same thing can happen with improperly-fitting grips.

You can see the sear tab on the trigger bar slipping past the sear's tab which caused it to fail to drop the hammer.

Attached Thumbnails
TriggerBarSearSlipPost.JPG  
Old 06-20-2017, 04:38 AM

I think that I will stick with the rosewood grips. I liked the look and feel of the rubber grips. But it's not meant to be.
Old 06-20-2017, 07:16 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneBallistic View Post
I have a P220 Carry SAS Gen 2, as well as some other P220s.

The P220 trigger bar is different from other SIGs like the P226 in that the disconnector tab is outside the frame while the P226's trigger bar disconnector is "inside" the frame. '
The P220's right grip actually contributes to holding the trigger bar in place. If incorrect grips are installed, or the grip screws are too loose on the factory grip panels, the trigger bar can actually slip past the tab on the sear. This prevents the trigger bar from actuating the hammer.

I had a bent trigger bar on my P220 SAS Gen 2 that was causing this to happen in SA mode. I think I bent it trying to remove the single-piece E2 grip. But after I replaced the trigger bar and tightened down the factory 2-piece grip panels I installed, no more issues.

Both incorrect grips or a bent trigger bar can cause what you are describing. But since you said the problem went away with the factory grip, your problem is the rubber grips.

One other thing to look for is the hammer pivot pin. If that gets pushed too far to the left, the back end of the trigger bar can "jump" that pin and cause failures to fire. This is fairly rare and should not occur with proper grips installed properly.

I hope this helps.
Very good posting sir .

I've witnessed this usually after the owner has removed the grips for detail cleaning or after installing replacements .

Condition Yellow

We remember our friends Chuck , Jim , John , Lou , Roger & Stephen .