1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 06-17-2017, 05:25 AM

PARA-USA real story?

Will someone please educate me.

On another forum I read that PARA was out of business. Strange but I found their web-site that shows 6 different categories of pistols (Executive, Expert, Elite. Black Ops. etc.) with about 40 different models!

I was interested in their Expert Commander but am confused by the assertion that they are out of business and at the same time they have an apparently up to date web site with many models to choose from.

Are they or are they not?...any advice would be helpful, Thanks

Also, any opinions on the Expert Commander, 45 ACP?
Old 06-17-2017, 06:55 AM

Remington now owns Para`s trademark etc. I think it's Freedom arms group. So sadly the name is gone as Remington has said, but they will be offering some double stack models in the future. Warranties will be honored, but I don't think there has been much experience with that yet.
Old 06-17-2017, 10:11 AM

If you stay with their single stack 1911's you should be fine. I don't have personal experience with their double stacks but have read of people with problems.

One of my favorite 1911's is my Para Target Elite in 45. Very accurate and no problem with just shy of 5,500 rounds to-date.

Old 06-17-2017, 11:32 AM

Yes they were bought out by Remington but still a lot of guns left with Para name and warranty is in effect under Remington but never had to use) I have owned 4 Govt 1911's (either Elite or Elite Pro models) currently have 2 and all have been 100% great guns with zero issues. Here's the two I have now
Old 06-17-2017, 01:01 PM

Expert commander .45ACP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsifal View Post
[A]ny opinions on the Expert Commander, 45 ACP?
An example of this model is one of my carry side-arms . As such it underwent an acceptance testing regimen. The regimen includes several hundred rounds of 100% reliability with only refreshing the lube @50rds: no "cleaning"; no take-down. For regular carry, it also has to shoot to PoA at 15yds / 13.5m; in this case that was true OotB. Less particular than many as to trigger, the P-O trigger is pretty decent; not recalling the exact number now [sigh] but it probably wouldn't be on the EDC team unless it was from 3 - 5.5lbs and I do remember that it's reasonably crisp. Another point in favor is the durability of the finish: although not particularly -pretty- it's perhaps the best among -my- 1911s for holding up to Kydex; it seems to be the same finish as on a Glock.

One thing I'm going to change on it is to replace the flat MSH with an arched MSH. The "print" of the corner formed at the bottom of a flat MSH cannot well be mistaken as too many slices of pizza. The more rounded corner of a bobbed frame or even an arched MSH ... ahem ... can be so perceived. So to date I've used the P-O mostly on driving days when the holster remains dismounted in the car most of the day; re-mounted getting out, dismounted getting back in the car. After the MSH upgrade, I expect it'll be eligible as a stand-in for my EDC team-lead that has a bobbed frame.

Last edited by tgt_usa; 06-18-2017 at 08:26 AM.
Old 06-17-2017, 01:10 PM

tgt_usa....sounds reasonable...a main question I have is if general 1911 parts will interchange with PARA 1911s, specifically the Expert Commander...especially parts that will wear and springs...Thanks, P
Old 06-17-2017, 11:07 PM

Yes, the Para Expert is a "real" 1911, all parts interchange
Old 06-18-2017, 05:27 PM

I have a para expert 9. It has treated me well for the last 2 years with roughly 1000 rounds down the pipe. It will pretty much shoot anything I feed it. The finish is a nitron coating similar to the dan wesson (please correct me if I am wrong). It has been just fine. The only thing I do not like about it is that it has a plastic trigger. But, then again, it is an inexpensive gun. I have changed grips many times.

One thing you should be ok with is the GI style rear sight. If you can use it, fine. If not, it will probably be more difficult to get a different sight without having milling done. Very reasonable choice. CDNN has them for less than 500.00.

Last edited by rglassma; 06-19-2017 at 06:36 AM.
Old 06-19-2017, 12:19 PM

Thanks for the replies, just to let you know I went with a Colt LW Commander .45 on lay-away.

I liked the PARA but thought the Colt might be a better pistol even though twice as much.
Old 06-19-2017, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the replies, just to let you know I went with a Colt LW Commander .45 on lay-away.

I liked the PARA but thought the Colt might be a better pistol even though twice as much.
I second that motion.
Old 06-19-2017, 12:58 PM

Quote:

Probably the better choice simply for the resale value just cause it says "Colt". Quality wise, probably a toss up. And yes I've had both. Traded my para expert plus cash for full size Elite model (great trade!great gun!). Just recently got the Colt LW Commander and like it just fine, shoots well and do notice the lighter weight when carrying. Doesn't win out over my Dan Wesson VBOB tho
Had you been deciding between the LW Colt vs Para Elite or Elite Pro, no contest I'd take either Para Elite or Pro over the Colt any day.
Congrats on your new Colt purchase! You made a good call on it vs the Para Expert. Shoot the hell out of your Colt with zero regrets!
Old 06-19-2017, 08:15 PM

Jigo, I agree. I have no intention of a resale though.

I have a Colt 1991A1 thats been considerably customized by Alchemy. Also, a Springfield 1911A1 Mil Spec that has also been worked on. I am basically a competition shooter, I shoot a lot, and I just shoot 1911s better than any other hand gun.

I do not find the Colt a better pistol than the Springfield. I think the latter is every bit built to the same quality standards as the Colt as they came from the factory and this is subjective but the Springer looked and handled like a more robust pistol. Overall the Springfield has proven the more reliable mainly because it is not as mag sensitive as the Colt. This after shooting both extensively

but I got the Colt what seems like about 15 years ago, maybe longer and Colt quality might have been questionable at that time ( about 2 weeks after I got the Colt, I removed the grips and the plunger tube fell off!).Then I sent it to Alchemy for some custom work. The Commander will be a carry pistol that will compliment my comp pistols, same controls, etc. and I have heard Colt quality has gotten better, don't know.

I actually thought seriously about a Rock Island MS 45 for a carry weapon but I like to stay with American made, thats why I also seriously considered the PARA.