Trigger & Grip Safety Issue? - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 06-09-2017, 11:01 AM

Trigger & Grip Safety Issue?

I've got a nice S&W Government size 1911 that is having an issue with the grip safety not functioning. Gun has unknown rounds through it as I got it used but I know I have put close to 1k down the barrel, flawlessly.

Anyway the grip safety no longer works as intended. Even if I push the beavertail up (toward the hammer) the trigger is allowed to travel it's full stroke so I'm not thinking it is the sear spring. However if I try to purposely pull the trigger will pushing the bottom of it back and up (thus the trigger bow is forced up more at the rear getting closer to the hammer even if only a little) sometimes I can get it to catch and actually work with the grip safety. Does that make sense?

There seems to be a little up and down movement of the trigger. I can put some feeler gauges in there later but I don't have another 1911 to compare so I'm not sure what is normal.

Do triggers or grip safeties wear out?

I'm not afraid to tackle this on my own but I want to know what I am looking for first and I would like to have some parts on hand so I can put a now functioning firearm back together as soon as possible. The current trigger appears to be the stock one but is a nice 4-4.25ish lb pull and I'd like to retain that (or lighten it a little)

Last edited by racerdude321; 06-09-2017 at 11:44 AM.
Old 06-14-2017, 06:02 AM

It didn't "wear out" - it was never properly fitted at the factory - it was just "dropped in" and not checked. Almost all production guns have loose triggers. The fix is to buy an oversized one and fit it to your frame. IMO.
Old 06-14-2017, 12:59 PM

Google: "Fitting a 1911 grip safety"

The tip of the G/S lever may be a little short. You will find a solution above!

For the trigger issues a good place to get oriented may be found at "Wiegand 2.5 pound trigger pull"

Regards,

Old 06-17-2017, 12:34 PM

Previous owner may have adjusted that way for a less than adequate grip hold, could have happened without realizing what they were doing to it. Unless you were specifically checking out the safety functions on your pistol you may not have noticed it at all.

You describe a looseness in the trigger bow that could definitely affect your pull. Lots of different options on the market to choose from, I like the smooth face triggers offered by Harrison Designs and have fitted a few where I needed them.

https://shop.harrisoncustom.com/