SAFARI ARMS & Schuetzen Gun Works Photo Thread ~ Let's See Them! - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 05-23-2010, 09:07 PM

Location: Indiana, hope to retire to Alaska. My wife wants to retire to Belize.
SAFARI ARMS & Schuetzen Gun Works Photo Thread ~ Let's See Them!

How about some photos of various guns from SAFARI ARMS including their Schuetzen Gun Works guns, the Westerner series, etc.

So let me start out.

Here are mine. I had these built for me exactly 20 years ago to celebrate the 5th wedding anniversary to my wife. They were my gift to her. We're still married and she didn't shoot me so things must be going OK

This pair is serial number 001 and 002, the frames are Beryllium Copper, they are engraved lightly with a marriage blessing, and are absolute tack drivers! The larger gun is a MATCHMASTER while the smaller gun is an ENFORCER. (BTW, that is not rust in the slide serrations, its from the camera flash)

They made very few Beryllium Copper guns, not sure how many, but I suspect that there are maybe 50 or less. Some were all Beryllium Copper, some, like mine, were two tone.

St Gabriel Possenti Patron Saint of Handgunners
Father John Corapi, "Don't be so open minded that your brains fall out!"
Old 05-23-2010, 09:17 PM

Here's mine

Last edited by y2kdon; 05-23-2010 at 09:20 PM.
Old 08-02-2010, 07:04 PM

Here's mine, Just purchased a couple of weeks ago- My 1st 1911-style pistol.

John
Attached Thumbnails
PDRM0548.jpg  

Old 08-02-2010, 07:39 PM

I have always liked the looks of the Safari Arms 1911s, but have never managed to acquire one. The colour case hardened pistols with ivory grips are something I for which I lust.
Old 08-03-2010, 03:55 PM

The grips on the case-hardened pistols are actually wood painted to look like ivory-- this was dictated by economics. With real ivory, or good ivory-colored synthetics, or even stag grips, they are stunning indeed.
Series 70 .38 Super/ Series 70 Commander 9x19mm/ Series 80 Gold Cup/ Series 90/II Double Eagle/ Series 80 Officers Stainless/ Series 80 Delta Elite Stainless/ Cobra 2nd Model/ Trooper Mk III/ Old Model Army/3rd Pattern 1903 Pocket/ Lightning Rifle mid-frame/Detonics Mk V/Safari Enforcer/1909 New Service(.38 WCF yet)/1933 DS Nickel 'Fitz"/ 1965 Python/ 1906 New Service, 7" bbl in .45LC/ let me go look, I know there's more . . .
Old 08-03-2010, 04:59 PM

Here's my longslide. I've had it for 5 years. No malfunctions and very accurate.

Tomcatt

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
NRA Life Member
Old 08-03-2010, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee John View Post
Here's mine, Just purchased a couple of weeks ago- My 1st 1911-style pistol.

John

Your model is the Safari Arms GI model. I've got several of them and they are extremely dependable and accurate.

I've got no less than 2 of each model of Safari Arms put on the market, I'll have to go into my vault and dredge up some photos.
Old 08-03-2010, 07:37 PM

sousana,
Do you have the Reliable and Renegade?
Sure would like to see photos of them side by side.
Best
Old 08-04-2010, 12:06 AM

The Reliable and Renegade were Randall pistols, not Safari Arms models-- and I'm interested in seeing examples as well!
Series 70 .38 Super/ Series 70 Commander 9x19mm/ Series 80 Gold Cup/ Series 90/II Double Eagle/ Series 80 Officers Stainless/ Series 80 Delta Elite Stainless/ Cobra 2nd Model/ Trooper Mk III/ Old Model Army/3rd Pattern 1903 Pocket/ Lightning Rifle mid-frame/Detonics Mk V/Safari Enforcer/1909 New Service(.38 WCF yet)/1933 DS Nickel 'Fitz"/ 1965 Python/ 1906 New Service, 7" bbl in .45LC/ let me go look, I know there's more . . .
Old 08-04-2010, 08:46 AM

I have been reading, researching and so on trying to decide on a first gun. At first I was thinking I wanted a H&K USP .45 CT, but after I went to various local gun shops I fell in love with 1911s.

I had to take my head out of the clouds with dreaming about a Kobra Carry or a Wilson, and was pretty set on a Remington R1(I like the price, feel, and it's American made) plus after reading threads from members like Quack I could tell they have experience and sensible opinions in regards to the R1.

This Safari Arms(also Oly Arms?) Matchmaster 5 has me thinking. It looks beautiful and I have not seen one ill spoken word on this thread. It looks like the Matchmaster 5 MSRP is about $300-$400 over the cost of the R1, although I could not find the GI model that another member on this thread had mentioned on the olyarms website.

How hard is it to find a shop that carries these 1911s and are there any fair warnings that would be given to a novice such as myself on this series/brand?

Thank you to those who provide any helpful info.

(ps - I apologize for the length of the reply, this is my first on this forum if you cannot tell. oh, and I have read the FAQs....very helpful)
Old 08-04-2010, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ductapeman View Post
The Reliable and Renegade were Randall pistols, not Safari Arms models-- and I'm interested in seeing examples as well!
OH Thank GOD lol, for a moment there I thought I'd missed out on a few models. I did, at one time have a left handed Randal, but I traded it some years back for an H&K 91
Old 08-04-2010, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavoid View Post
I have been reading, researching and so on trying to decide on a first gun. At first I was thinking I wanted a H&K USP .45 CT, but after I went to various local gun shops I fell in love with 1911s.

I had to take my head out of the clouds with dreaming about a Kobra Carry or a Wilson, and was pretty set on a Remington R1(I like the price, feel, and it's American made) plus after reading threads from members like Quack I could tell they have experience and sensible opinions in regards to the R1.

This Safari Arms(also Oly Arms?) Matchmaster 5 has me thinking. It looks beautiful and I have not seen one ill spoken word on this thread. It looks like the Matchmaster 5 MSRP is about $300-$400 over the cost of the R1, although I could not find the GI model that another member on this thread had mentioned on the olyarms website.

How hard is it to find a shop that carries these 1911s and are there any fair warnings that would be given to a novice such as myself on this series/brand?

Thank you to those who provide any helpful info.

(ps - I apologize for the length of the reply, this is my first on this forum if you cannot tell. oh, and I have read the FAQs....very helpful)
They stopped producing the GI model, for whatever ungodly reason. I paid under 400 for each of my Safari GI's.

You can deal directly with OlyArms, arrange payment along with a copy of your local dealers FFL and they will ship your weapon to the dealer, just be sure to get a dealer with a low transfer fee lol.
Old 08-04-2010, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sousana View Post
They stopped producing the GI model, for whatever ungodly reason. I paid under 400 for each of my Safari GI's.

You can deal directly with OlyArms, arrange payment along with a copy of your local dealers FFL and they will ship your weapon to the dealer, just be sure to get a dealer with a low transfer fee lol.
Thank you sousana! I wish they still offered those GI models. I did a little more reading on the brand in this forum and it looks like the general consensus(including comments on the only two videos I could find on youtube)is that they are extremely difficult to come by and if you order direct they can take close to a year to receive.
Old 08-04-2010, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ductapeman View Post
I posted this link in another thread; the auction has ended though. I had never seen a 'Reliable' until this one.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=181215280
Memberships: NRA (Life), IDPA, Cheesecake of the Month (not really), COTEP #0371
Old 08-04-2010, 03:18 PM

LOL, you might get lucky and beat me to one on an auction site lol.
Old 08-04-2010, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usurp31 View Post
I posted this link in another thread; the auction has ended though. I had never seen a 'Reliable' until this one.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=181215280
Yeah, not a true Matchmaster though, more likely a Randal slide on a Matchmaster frame.
Old 08-04-2010, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sousana View Post
Yeah, not a true Matchmaster though, more likely a Randal slide on a Matchmaster frame.
I'm sure you are correct; I don't know anything about the history of these. I noticed the slide and the frame both say "Safari Arms - Reliable". Did Safari Arms have a contract with Randall to do the slides?
Memberships: NRA (Life), IDPA, Cheesecake of the Month (not really), COTEP #0371
Old 08-04-2010, 07:49 PM

The Reliable and Renegade were Randall pistols, not Safari Arms models

Ductapeman,
I am confused by your statement, will you clarify it please?
Were they made by Randall for Safari?

Regards
Old 08-05-2010, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekarra View Post
The Reliable and Renegade were Randall pistols, not Safari Arms models

Ductapeman,
I am confused by your statement, will you clarify it please?
Were they made by Randall for Safari?

Regards
I spoke with a friend of mine here who used to work both at Randall Firearms and in our pistol shop, and he told me that originally Randall made both pistols (the Renegade is the much-sought-after left-handed model, the Reliable its mirror image-- someday I will own a LeMay model). Apparently when Olympic/Safari bought out the assets of the Randall Co. we got a quantity of slides and frames for both models, along with parts we acquired from M-S Safari, and used all these parts to get into the pistol business in the late 1980s/early 1990s, so you will find some Olympia-marked Renegades and Reliables, but very few by comparison. But along the line we designed "unique" pistols for our own manufacture, so as the supply of parts dwindled we started making the Matchmaster, Journeyman and the other models in the current line. I wish it wasn't so, but sales of the left-handed models were never enough to keep the line running for very long . . . seems that most of the left-handed shooters who tried the pistols had already gotten used to shooting right-handed pistols, and just couldn't adapt to a pistol that "fit." I still think there's a market for it, but the shop tells me the sales were so small that they have no plans to produce any more.
Old 08-05-2010, 03:57 PM

Here's my Westerner - Unusual looks, and shoots as good as my Colt Gold Cup. Yep, I love it.

Old 08-05-2010, 04:57 PM

Nice Steel; that is the exact model I would like as well.
Old 01-05-2011, 02:58 AM

My busted Matchmaster still shoots great.

Anyone able to help me figure out what kind of rear sight I'll need to repair/upgrade my Matchmaster? The black and white picture is the closest I've been able to find on the web. It reminds me of my s&w 686's rear sight.
Attached Thumbnails
2010-04-25 00.50.18.jpg   Safari_Arms_comp.jpg  
Old 01-05-2011, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilDave775 View Post
Anyone able to help me figure out what kind of rear sight I'll need to repair/upgrade my Matchmaster? The black and white picture is the closest I've been able to find on the web. It reminds me of my s&w 686's rear sight.
Millet Sights I think. I'm not an expert. Here's a link: http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/cid=0...let_rear_sight
I would call Brownells and ask them, but I believe Safari Arms used the Millet Sight.
Old 02-25-2011, 04:08 PM

Just ordered a "Westerner". Can't wait to get it. Found the gun online completely by accident and started researching it right away. This forum along with other 1911 and handgun forums had nothing but great things to say about the guns made by Shuetzen Pistol Works. Ordered these grips for it. Thought they'd look good on a case colored gun. Better than the grips it comes with IMO.

Last edited by xxINFIDELxx; 02-26-2011 at 12:16 AM.
Old 02-26-2011, 12:15 AM

Purchased from J & S Gun Parts. They have the commander size "Constable" in stock, confirmed it myself $1000! I paid $899 for the Westerner. Cool pistol, hard to find from what I can tell.http://jsgunparts.com/store/index.ph...roducts_id=191