new LW Commander or Defender...? - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 02-19-2016, 08:42 AM

new LW Commander or Defender...?

so I was all set to buy a new Defender yesterday, new model with the wood grips; go in and the price went up $30 from Monday.... ...but still a good price...

Being the cheapskate I am, I didn't get it. Now I'm thinking I might get the XSE Lightweight Commander I saw new for $850 instead, then save and get a used Defender or another New Agent later...

Old 02-19-2016, 09:31 AM

I have both a Defender and a Wiley Clapp Commander (lightweight) and I prefer the commander. Nothing against my Defender I just prefer the commander size.
Old 02-19-2016, 10:07 AM

I LOVE my Stainless Combat Commander XSE. I love the size, the look and the feel! It's the heavy weight version, but shots perfect and recoil with me is not an issue. And looks so dang GREAT, beside it's big brother, my Stainless Government XSE.

I've owned Defenders in the past and like em. And will probably own another one. Last one I owned was a .40 cal. and could kick myself for getting rid of it. But my pick between the two would be the LW Commander XSE. Because of the extra features. And I just LOVE a Commander!!
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2016, 10:18 AM

It is your hand and method of carry. Have both and carry a Commander.
Old 02-19-2016, 11:13 AM

The Defender that I had was a piece of junk. I had so many functional issues with it out of the box that it had to go back to Colt three times before becoming reasonably functional. I finally sold it at a loss.....

That said, I've NEVER had any problems with a Government Model or a Commander. I carry a 1911 daily. Size between those two really doesn't matter to me. With a quality holster, either one will conceal well. The Commander that I run has an alloy frame.....now, that makes a definite difference in carry. The alloy frame takes about a third of the weight off the pistol, and that is a notable difference over an all steel Government Model. Both shoot well and are very reliable. The shorter slide travel of the Defender, or any other 3" 1911, just does not have enough time for everything to happen reliably all the time. I need my carry gun to be reliable....
Old 02-19-2016, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Dodge View Post
The Defender that I had was a piece of junk. I had so many functional issues with it out of the box that it had to go back to Colt three times before becoming reasonably functional. I finally sold it at a loss.....

That said, I've NEVER had any problems with a Government Model or a Commander. I carry a 1911 daily. Size between those two really doesn't matter to me. With a quality holster, either one will conceal well. The Commander that I run has an alloy frame.....now, that makes a definite difference in carry. The alloy frame takes about a third of the weight off the pistol, and that is a notable difference over an all steel Government Model. Both shoot well and are very reliable. The shorter slide travel of the Defender, or any other 3" 1911, just does not have enough time for everything to happen reliably all the time. I need my carry gun to be reliable....
Do you know what year yours was made? I've had 2 Defenders and 2 New Agents over the last few years, and all four were 100% with every bullet I put in them...

I just walked down to the shop and fondled the Defender again, and took a close look at it. The thumb safety has overtravel on the down sweep, and the slide stop notch in the frame has a 'burr' or a peen on it. The grip safety doesn't flow very well into the tang, either- there are uneven gaps on each side. Brand new gun that came in yesterday.
...makes me VERY hesitant to order one without handling it first!

Last edited by kokopelli123; 02-19-2016 at 11:41 AM.
Old 02-19-2016, 11:55 AM

Ordering without handling first was my problem. My Defender was ordered in special for me (2008 maybe). I knew immediately that something didn't feel right, the first range session confirmed that. Colt orginally looked at it and said to "only use 230 grain ball ammo", no defensive HP rounds. Great! Nice carry gun guys!

Finally, through this forum, I was in contact with Brent trying to make it right. Two more trips to Colt and a year later with the complete upper end replaced, the pistol functioned OK. It was still finicky with different ammo, but the 185 Silvertips ran well enough. I had gone back to carrying my Government model durring that period and just decided that I didn't want to gamble on something that wasn't 100 percent.

The funny thing now is that my LW Commander actually carries better than that Defender did for me. The extra 1 1/4" rides in the holster better and I don't notice any extra weight between the two. The whole thing just feels more balanced overall.
Old 02-19-2016, 02:36 PM

You can get the new XE LW Commanders off GB for under $800. I love mine, undercut trigger guard, 3 white dot Novak sites, vertical stippling. I will have to say, some of the Ugliest grips I have ever seen.
Old 02-19-2016, 07:42 PM

I vote the new lightweight Commander. I know many on here have had good luck with their Defenders but mine just wouldn't run right. I bought it used, A 2012 unit if I remember correctly. Sold it at a lost with no regrets.
Old 02-20-2016, 08:17 PM

I have a colt defender for about a year now. The problem I was having was the brass was hitting me on top of the head about 2 rounds per mag. It was also hitting the brass putting a small dent on the mouth of the brass. I have worked on the extractor and the ejector with no luck. I ordered a Wilson combat mag and went out and shot 10 mags full though the gun today. No brass hit me on the head and no more ding brass. Simple fix!!!
Old 02-21-2016, 04:07 PM

Well I have both and to be honest....I love that I have both. My Defender is great in the summer months or anytime during t-shirt weather. The LW Commander is great for shoulder carry and if I'm wearing any kind of sweater/fleece/coat. I also have a Sig 938 for when I want a quick carry or pocket carry. I like options.

The Defender will be lighter than the Commander and will conceal better too but the Commander will handle better and have a full grip. I'd figure out what's best for your carry needs. Both work awesome though so you really can't go wrong.
Old 02-21-2016, 08:34 PM

I had to postpone meeting to get look at a Defender until tomorrow, but I think I have settled my dilemma:
I plan on picking up the new/used Defender tomorrow, then selling a Glock, and then buying the Commander!
Old 02-21-2016, 08:45 PM

I had to postpone meeting to get look at a Defender until tomorrow, but I think I have settled my dilemma:
I plan on picking up the new/used Defender tomorrow, and then buying the Commander soon.

I had a one of a 1995 run of 500 stainless LW Commanders Colt made, as an Enhanced series...it was an odd duck. It had the ducktail grip safety and GI sights. The slide was lightened with the flat top. I had Don Williams do a few things to it, but I never could come to love that flat top...
This latest XSE iteration is exactly what I want.

Last edited by kokopelli123; 02-21-2016 at 08:54 PM.
Old 02-21-2016, 08:48 PM

Though I have never owned a Colt Defender, I have owned a couple of New Agent models. After owning my first Lightweight Commander, my vote would be for the Commander hands down. I prefer it for better accuracy, better grip (for me), and additional capacity. But you really can't go wrong with either.
Old 02-26-2016, 09:11 PM

Answer: both!!

I got a trade/ buy worked out on a '100 year' Defender, lnib- picking it up tomorrow.
I just won a GB auction on a New O4860XSE LW Commander stainless.

...both in .45
I had decided on finding another New Agent to replace the one I had to sell, but I couldn't pass up the deal on the Defender.

I've gotta find the oem slim rosewood stocks for it- those Hogues gotta go.

Last edited by kokopelli123; 02-26-2016 at 09:17 PM. Reason: Add picture