U shoot A 9x23 Colt? - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 11-13-2006, 08:37 PM

U shoot A 9x23 Colt?

I am going to buy a new in box Colt 9x23 for $900 which was sitting in the display case for over a year. I have read several threads and websites that praise the 9x23 cartridge. While you may say that I could have a custom gun built for a little more or convert a 9mm to 9x23, I want to hear from anyone that has shot either the Colt or Springfield factory 9x23's and what are your opinions on these guns. Many people can and will always buy the best that they can afford.....well at this time this is the best that I can do and would really appreciate any response. Thanks in advance for your reply!
Old 11-13-2006, 09:02 PM

I just posted a thread on Super "Convertibles"...most of my Supers will either shoot 9x23 from the Super barrel or have a dedicated 9x23 barrel fitted.

9x23 is an excellent round. I don't shoot very much of it because I have so much Super brass and I know that the two will get mixed if I did shoot a lot of it.

As to the gun and price..which one is it...a standard GM or one of the Combat Elites? For a NIB gun the price is not bad...they are fairly rare.

I also had a Kimber Stainless Target II that ate 9x23 like it was made for it...very very accurate and reliable gun with a full ramp barrel as stock. Much better gun than the Springfield.

Bob
Old 11-13-2006, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMan
I also had a Kimber Stainless Target II that ate 9x23 like it was made for it...very very accurate and reliable gun with a full ramp barrel as stock. Much better gun than the Springfield.

Bob
How close are the case specs (diameter, overall length, any taper?)between .38 Super and 9x23, excluding the semi-rim on the Super?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2006, 09:31 PM

...close enough. Layne Simpson shots tons of 9x23 factory and hot handloads throgh his Super chambered guns before having the chambers opened up just a little for 9x23. He recommends that one NOT shoot Supers in 9x23 chambers as the head area is just a little larger on the 9x23. You have to have a moderately loose .38 Super chamber to shoot 9x23 in them. Most of my Supers will shoot 9x23. I know that three of them won't. Two of the BarSto and one which was a Briley.

The Super chamber also has to be of the new headspace on the case mouth style chamber..not the old case rim type.

Bob
Old 11-13-2006, 09:53 PM

I have both the Colt and The Springfield in 9x23. The Springfield has a supported chamber and the Colt doesn't. Unfortunately the Colt was made in the era when QC was down, however the ones I have are decent guns. The 9x23 is a very accurate round and the guns shoot with no problems what so ever. 900 isn't great but it isn't too bad either. I've seen them asking a lot more but they haven't sold them. The Enhanced Colts of that era need a bit of tuning but after that they run like a Rolex. I have also shot 9mm Largo, 38 super, 38 Super Comp, 9mm Super Comp, and 38TJ out of my guns and they have all worked great. Have fun with the 9x23, you'll really enjoy it.
Old 11-13-2006, 11:11 PM

9X23's

I have two! Ones a shooter and the other MINT in the Box, I bought three. All BRAND NEW and sold one to offset the entire buy. But $900 seems way too much? They are good guns and I like the 9X23 but they didn't sell well. I bought mine from a dealer that had been stuck with all three for years.
Old 11-14-2006, 08:07 AM
Banned

I would suggest finding a 9 or .38 and have a ramped barrel fitted so you can shoot any caliber-9x23/.38 super/.38 supercomp/Largo

The ultimate is a 9mm para/9x23-Super switch barel gun using the same extractor and ejector. Mucho fun.
Old 11-14-2006, 08:31 AM

I have two of the early enhanced Colt gov models, 1 blue & one stainless. These flat-top models started life as 38 Supers but the 'generous' Colt 38S chamber feeds 9x23mm perfectly.
Another Barsto semi-drop in Commander 38S barrel also runs 9x23.

However I just got a new Colt LW Commander XSE 38S, honestly one of the nicest Colts I have seen, but that one has a tight Colt chamber. It 300 rounds of various Super last weekend without a hitch but won't even chamber 9x23....

Last edited by stealthgoat; 11-14-2006 at 08:43 AM.
Old 11-14-2006, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladeandbarrel
I would suggest finding a 9 or .38 and have a ramped barrel fitted so you can shoot any caliber-9x23/.38 super/.38 supercomp/Largo

The ultimate is a 9mm para/9x23-Super switch barel gun using the same extractor and ejector. Mucho fun.
Would the 9x23 Colt be able to shoot any or all of these calibers also..........or does a fitted ramped barrel have to be used? Is the Colt a decent enough gun to build into a great shooting 9x23? If $900 isn't a good price for a gun that is no longer being made, then how much would one expect to pay for something comparable to it?
Old 11-14-2006, 11:58 PM
Banned

IF you ever want to shoot any major caliber +P+.38 super loadings, a ramped barrel is essential as that brass is much weaker than 9x23.
Old 11-15-2006, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by husky
Would the 9x23 Colt be able to shoot any or all of these calibers also..........or does a fitted ramped barrel have to be used? Is the Colt a decent enough gun to build into a great shooting 9x23? If $900 isn't a good price for a gun that is no longer being made, then how much would one expect to pay for something comparable to it?

Depends on what you want and how much you want to spend. If you look at the thread I started Super "Convertibles" you will see a bunch of multi caliber 1911s that are Super based. I really don't have much money into any one of them compared to what it would cost to have them made up today.

Expect to pay $650-800.00 for a good used base gun. If you want to put a 9x23 and .38 Super ramped barrel in the gun that will be another $500.00 and another $200 for a 9mm barrel. Then how about sights...$250 for a set of low mount BoMars...then beavertail..another $100 to have installed...trigger job...and refinishing. So for a three caliber setup done right you'll be into the gun for $2K.

Less expensive way out...buy a new Colt Special Combat Government Model in .38 Super and have a 9x23 and 9mm non-ramed barrels fitted. You can run all the +P .38 Super rounds you want from a non-ramped barrel...all my Super loads start at 1300 fps and have never has a problem and none of my barrels are ramped. If you want to shoot HOT, just shoot the 9x23...an honest 1450 chronograped with Winchester factory ammo. And with the 9mm barrel you can shoot all the inexpensive 9mm you can find.

Cheapest way out...buy a Kimber Stainless Target II in .38 Super and have a ramped 9mm barrel fitted to it...total cost will be under a grand if you do it right. The one I had that a friend still has shoots like a match tuned gun and shoots 9x23 like it was chambered for it.

Bob
Old 11-15-2006, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladeandbarrel
IF you ever want to shoot any major caliber +P+.38 super loadings, a ramped barrel is essential as that brass is much weaker than 9x23.
I'd certainly feel safer with the ramped barrel myself if ever deciding to dabble into the older 175 PF Major loads, but it actually is safely attainable for most if using slower powders (AA7/9) and heavier bullets (158 grain lead)...

However, having a personal aversion to the old grand condition known as Super-face, I just stick with the 'ole .45 ACP!
Old 11-15-2006, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMan
If you want to shoot HOT, just shoot the 9x23...an honest 1450 chronograped with Winchester factory ammo.
Bob
It's a shame this round never really 'caught on'...

Impressive ballistics...!
Old 11-15-2006, 07:51 PM

I've got a Colt Commander in 9x23 that I had a Bar-Sto ramped barrel put in. It is a pleasure to shoot. Brass is a little pricey.
Old 11-15-2006, 08:19 PM

..back in the early 1980's before the Gamesmen took over the Power Factor was either 180 or 185...my load was a 160 grain Lyman RN lead bullet sized .355 at 1170 fps...no ramp and never a blown case.

The 1911 .45 guys all hated me as in 1980 I was the first person to use a Super in IPSC Competition. Not only did the round make major but I had a two round advantage on them because that was the days before the 8 round .45 magazine. They always thought it was fun to screw the revolver shooter by designing courses around 7-8 round scenarios...with 10 rounds before a reload they weren't laughing so hard after that...

As to the 9x23 not catching on...if Colt had been listening to people they would have brought out a Super back in the 80s that had a properly headspaced on the casemouth barrel and would have introduced a fully supported ramped barrel when invented...they would have had the market to themselves. As it was the 9x23 was 7-10 years too late...

Bob
Old 11-18-2006, 10:47 PM

I paid 900 for my Colt 01923 several years ago. A shade high but it's mine, I love it and ain't selling it. Also picked up a factory 9x23 Springer for 500 a year a two later which I thought was a smoking deal. If it has its original box 900 ain't nothing to cry about.