1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 09-11-2006, 01:28 PM

Price Check on Gold Cup -National Match

Folks,

Looking for some help with a Colt Gold Cup National Match. They are asking a hair over $1k for it. Ultimate SS finish. Looks to be in excellent condition. They rate it LNIB - but it looks like to me it has been fired. Price sounds about $100 too high to me - like $900 is more reasonable. So far they will not budge.

Or am I wrong and I should run (not walk) back there and grab it?
Old 09-11-2006, 02:12 PM
1911 Aficionado

That price seems OK, for what is a fairly rare, and OOP variant. When I think something is too expensive, I always ask myself, "Is it worth losing it over x-mount of dollars?" I've bid on a lot of stuff on ebay, and been sniped out of it at the last minute, and often by $.50; would I pay $.50 more than my "maximum bid" to have the item? Yes! If you are happy to pay $900 for the gun, then ask yourself if you'd rather have the gun, or $100?
Old 09-11-2006, 05:08 PM

moved

Last edited by Moonpie; 09-11-2006 at 05:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2006, 06:28 PM

Bright SS Colts always bring a premium....as you know. There is 2 in my area....one for 1195 and the other for 1399. So, for me, a grand is halfway reasonable.....
Old 09-11-2006, 07:07 PM

Seems like a fair price to me. Seen them from 1200-1400 bucks...
Old 09-12-2006, 12:35 AM

If I saw it for that price in that condition I would buy it immediately.
Old 09-12-2006, 08:20 PM

I agree with RickB. Besides, if you keep it for five years, it's only $20 bucks a year and you'll spend far more than that in gasoline driving to the range.

Ask your dealer to toss in some ammo or a couple of spare mags or cleaning supplies, etc. to "close the deal". That stuff won't cost them much and you'd have to purchase it at some point anyhow.
Old 09-13-2006, 07:30 AM

Yeah, I am still thinking it over as some things don't seem to add up. First, the guy says that it is NIB, but the box was lost. Then the guy says it was never shot or racked, but it does not have the original grips on it and he is willing to give away two extra after market mags to close the deal. It inlcudes only one factory mag I am almost sure Colt supplied two mags with every new gun.

I hate to have people say to me that their gun was never racked! Poor gun safety at best and BS at worse. The hairs are standing up on the back of my neck.

The other issue is that the largest gun show in FLorida is this weekend and I hate depleating my gun money!

But I am still thinking about it. Might be sorry if I wait till after this weekend show and decide to pull the trigger and it is gone. But will also be sad if I pull the trigger and find something more desireable at this weekend's show and have not money!

Last edited by Flame Red; 09-13-2006 at 07:32 AM.
Old 09-13-2006, 11:46 AM

Most people are poorly organized. A lot of people buy a gun, toss the box, and stick it in the safe. The guy might have put the new grips on and lost the old ones. Or maybe the gun came from an estate and the survivors don't know about the box and or grips.

Look at the gun's condition and act accordingly. Don't know what you were planning to look for at the gun show but remember that this sort of buy is fairly rare - at least in my neck of the woods. If what you were going to look for at the show is a common item, you can find one next time you have a little cash.
Old 09-13-2006, 01:29 PM

JiminCA,

Thanks for the advice. I am going to go back and make a offer on the gun (assuming it is still there) and see if he will knock off a $100 and let him keep the extra non-factory mags and grips. You are right, they are hard to come by and I'm not likely to find that at this weekend's huge fun show - but no doubt I would find something else that strikes my fancy!

Will post results.
Old 09-13-2006, 09:02 PM

Gold Cup National Match Ultimate Stainless

I just bought the same gun (as you know, you posted in my thread) I had to give $900 for it as stated in my previous thread. I tried hard to get for $800 then offered $850 No Budging! I had to give $900 cash.

I doubt I'd take $1100 for mine. Its BRAND NEW in the correct box ETC.

So a little over !000 in a retail shop isn't a bad buy! Even for A LNIB gun. Because my buddy said he paid $900 6-8 years ago for it.

I'd make sure it has the CORRECT marked outer sleeve, mine is marked Ultimate SS in the finish area on the label, and a neat thing I NEVER noticed with mine, untill the other day! The Blue Plastic Molded Box has felt lining where the gun sits. I have NEVER seen that before, I Guess (?) its there to protect the finish during shipping and storage.

No Box, might leed me to wonder if it is a Original Factory Shipped Ultimate Bright Finish Gun? I have had Colt's Custom Shop Bright Polish BOTH of my XSE's on just the sides and when I asked, they said they polish them in the Custom Shop EVERYDAY for people.

I'd call Colt? Maybe you can luck out and they'll tell you what finish it left the factory with. If its a Polish job done elsewhere or a return (not Shipped that way original) I'd pass or only give $700-750 only if I wanted or needed a Non Original Ultimate N.M.G.C. for a fancy shooter.

But No Box, Wrong Grips, Original Ultimate Finish I'd say $800?

P.S. mine only came with ONE factory High Polished Mag! And I know thats original.
Old 09-14-2006, 08:22 AM

HotToyz,

Thanks for the post. Yours was an outstanding deal. I usually cannot do that well price wise. Anyway, I went back and ...

it was all gone

My money that is! No, seriously, it was still there and I pulled the trigger on it (figurately). Not mutch of a budge in price - so I got it for a hair under $1100 OTD with all the fees and other crap added on. I'll pick it up next week and try to post pictures then. I think it is too polished for me to get decent pictures of it.

It was a one owner gun and he said that it did only come with one mag (did not know Colt did that) and that was the finish directly from Colt. No outer sleeve - lost.

So now I have no $$$ for this weekend's huge gun show, and no gun to caress either!