Remington 1911R1 issues??? - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 05-18-2016, 10:34 AM

Remington 1911R1 issues???

I am breifly introducing myself to 1911Forum users, I live in Argentina and I am very fond of handgun shooting.
I am an official of the Paraná Tiro Federal (local shooting range in Paraná Entre Ríos,Argentina)
I legaly own a new Remington 1911R1 .45ACP( I also own a Sistema Colt Mod 1927 Argentine Government Model), as far as I can say it is a very accurate gun, but I have shot 219 regular 230grains FMJ ammo and I have some "issues"??? I have some trouble with the so called "inertia feed" FTF with the 2 original magazines in special in the next to last shot of the 7 sometimes in a rate of 2,8% . Is this a magazine faillure ???? does the gun need a breaking in period (more than 219 rounds)
The other "issue"??? is that when I was cleaning the gun a small "ejector pin" popped out of the 1/16" hole from the right sid of the frame, I located in position again with my fingers from right to left, as long as the frame and receiver are not apart (shooting situation) I think this is not an issue, am I right?????
Remington answered they could not help me because of legal ban relating to foreigners????? I paid U$S 2000 for this gun and I would like to have some advise on these situation, please!!!!!
Best Regards
Roberto Renauld
Old 05-18-2016, 11:35 PM

Are you able to send a picture of which piece came out?
Old 05-19-2016, 06:22 AM

Answer to mikeingeorgia

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeingeorgia View Post
Are you able to send a picture of which piece came out?
The piece that came out is a simple solid pin about 1/2" long and about 1/16" diameter I am afraid that I placed this pin again (ejector pin), using my fingers but now its in OK so far,(not falling sideway from the frame),I shall not take out intentionally!!!!!!!....(I am afraid todo this), we will see this Friday after range shooting what comes up once I take apart slide from receiver to clean the gun again.
We will keep in touch
Thank you for your quick response
Best Regards
Roberto Renauld
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2016, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertorenauld52 View Post
I am breifly introducing myself to 1911Forum users, I live in Argentina and I am very fond of handgun shooting.
I am an official of the Paraná Tiro Federal (local shooting range in Paraná Entre Ríos,Argentina)
I legaly own a new Remington 1911R1 .45ACP( I also own a Sistema Colt Mod 1927 Argentine Government Model), as far as I can say it is a very accurate gun, but I have shot 219 regular 230grains FMJ ammo and I have some "issues"??? I have some trouble with the so called "inertia feed" FTF with the 2 original magazines in special in the next to last shot of the 7 sometimes in a rate of 2,8% . Is this a magazine faillure ???? does the gun need a breaking in period (more than 219 rounds)
The other "issue"??? is that when I was cleaning the gun a small "ejector pin" popped out of the 1/16" hole from the right sid of the frame, I located in position again with my fingers from right to left, as long as the frame and receiver are not apart (shooting situation) I think this is not an issue, am I right?????
Remington answered they could not help me because of legal ban relating to foreigners????? I paid U$S 2000 for this gun and I would like to have some advise on these situation, please!!!!!
Best Regards
Roberto Renauld
Roberto,
Perhaps your first issue is magazine related. More than a few people have voiced disappointment with the Remington supplied magazine; for example: https://www.1911forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=593521
Have you tried the magazines from your Sistema in your R1?

In regards to the ejector pin:
You are correct that, when installed, the slide holds the pin captive in the frame.
I'd be inclined to push the pin out, clean/degease it, apply some medium strength thread locker (such as blue Loctite), and reinstall.
Other fixes:
Slightly deform the pin to increase it's diameter.
Find/make another pin that fits with more friction.
Replace the solid pin with an appropriate size roll pin.
Here's a photo posted by Sturmgewehre on another forum that shows a roll pin in place:

Regards,
Greg
Old 05-24-2016, 03:57 PM

Thank you Greg!! I apreciate very much your advice next Saturday I will be trying 3 magazines from my Sistema 1927 and see what happens, by the way I am making the Remington´s magazine spring "set down" full-filling them with 7 rounds each and emptying them overnight all this days till next Saturday and see what happens with them in the FTF 6th round.
As for the ejector pin I cleand it and reinstalled by hand ,so far 50 more rounds shot without issues when I clean my gun, if it happens again iwill be considering the blue loctite or slightly deform the pin to increase its diameter.
Best Regards
Roberto
Old 05-24-2016, 06:12 PM

I noticed something cleaning my New R1 last weekend. The factory magazines lock the slide open, and will not let you release the slide lock until the magazine is removed.

I was able to replicate this with another unmarked magazine, but not with a Wilson mag.

You may want to try this with your Sistema mag and see how it engages the slide lock before taking it to the range.

I had the same failure to feed on the 7th round on my first magazine, on its maiden range trip, but the issue did not occur again afterwards.

-Sean

Typoed on my iPhone
HK USP SD 9 clone.
Old 05-25-2016, 06:48 AM

Thank you!!!! It engages the slide lock OK and also releases it OK, I´ve tryied my Sistema´s magazines in the Remmie at home with ammo it introduces Ok in the barrel chamber and extracts OK also.
Toooooooo, the range!!!!!!......
Roberto
Old 04-16-2020, 11:14 AM

Dear Mr"gb6491", Greg:
Nice to contact you, as time passes, I´ve made up my mind and opted for the make your first recommended action in order to to keep in its hole the ejector rod pin in my Remington R1 1911, as you said:
..."I'd be inclined to push the pin out, clean/degease it, apply some medium strength thread locker (such as blue Loctite), and reinstall".....
I intend to use blue locktite 243 thread locker, but the question arises when i think that this locktite is used for threaded bolts, in this case it is only a pin, not threaded,but has a tiny to gap to fill a of more less 0.15mm (0.006") in a 1/16" hole???'
In order not to ruin the device I would also put some locktite only in the two ends of the 1/16" holes, is this correct????, what do you reccomend????
Up to now no issues like "loose ejector rod"
I would be very pleased if you decide to help me
Yours Sincerelly
Roberto Renauld
Old 04-16-2020, 11:27 AM

Blue Locktite 243????, how to use???...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gb6491 View Post
Roberto,
Perhaps your first issue is magazine related. More than a few people have voiced disappointment with the Remington supplied magazine; for example: https://www.1911forum.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=593521
Have you tried the magazines from your Sistema in your R1?

In regards to the ejector pin:
You are correct that, when installed, the slide holds the pin captive in the frame.
I'd be inclined to push the pin out, clean/degease it, apply some medium strength thread locker (such as blue Loctite), and reinstall.
Other fixes:
Slightly deform the pin to increase it's diameter.
Find/make another pin that fits with more friction.
Replace the solid pin with an appropriate size roll pin.
Here's a photo posted by Sturmgewehre on another forum that shows a roll pin in place:

Regards,
Greg
Can I use it to ensure the ejector pin will not fall and hold in place in its 1/16" hole???? I intend to fill with 243 Blue Locktite only the two end holes for the pin????...and then place the pin inside. Up to now no more issues with the gun except this of the pin falling out!!! when I clean the gun.
I would be very pleased if you should help me in this issue!!!
Thank you very much
Roberto Renauld
Old 04-16-2020, 03:22 PM

I would just remove the pin with a 1/16" punch, and kind of flatten one
end of it with a hammer (just enough to upset it) and then tap it back
into the hole with or without locktite. This should "FIX" it.
Hope this helps........
Denny
Old 04-16-2020, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadhead2 View Post
I would just remove the pin with a 1/16" punch, and kind of flatten one
end of it with a hammer (just enough to upset it) and then tap it back
into the hole with or without locktite. This should "FIX" it.
Hope this helps........
Denny
Dear Mr Denny,thank you very much for your advice!!!, the pin pops out just putting the frame sideways and shaking it a bit!!!!, I wouldn´t need a punch to take it out,after I knock the pin´s end with a hammer I shall need the punch to put it once again in place, this sequence is from left side of the frame to right side???? am I right????...
Thank you very much
Roberto Renauld
Old 04-16-2020, 08:12 PM

Which ever way it came out, put it back in in reverse.
Denny
Old 04-17-2020, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Denny
OK!!,thank you very much!!!
Best Wishes
RR
Old 04-18-2020, 10:41 AM

How are things down in Argentina, Roberto?

Are the people buying up all the ammunition in a panic like they are here in the USA?
Old 04-18-2020, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
How are things down in Argentina, Roberto?

Are the people buying up all the ammunition in a panic like they are here in the USA?
Hello, nice to meet you!!!!
In Argentina we have a general quarantine (we are in day 28), so gun shops are closed, and people have restrictions to circulate in the City, you can not buy ammo or guns,by the way, I must say that people in general are calm and home with their families we are a City more or less like Baton Ruge in USA (this refered to population and seize) we are by the Paraná river much alike the Misissipi in USA.
In my case I am 67, I am considered to be in the "risck group of persons" this is from 60 years old on, so I am working at home with my computer.
In normal times I work as a second chief in Facility Manager duties in a General Hospital, we are 55 empoyees , but only 2 of us are "old people", nevertheless if an Emergency arises I must help personaly in the Hospital
I hope people doesent panic, they must calm down, and stop the "rush in" for ammo and guns in the USA!!!
Keep in touch!!..
Best Regards
Roberto Renauld
Old 04-19-2020, 10:50 AM

I am a retired school teacher, age 75.

My brother was the chief of a very large hospital in Austin, Texas before becoming the vice president of the Texas Hospital Association. He is also retired.
There are two hospital nurses in my extended family, so my family is very familiar with the problems you may be have now.

Buena suerte!

Your Sistema Colts made in Argentina are very desirable 1911s. I never have seen one though.

Last edited by ScoPro; 04-19-2020 at 10:52 AM.
Old 04-19-2020, 06:00 PM

Quote:
I am a retired school teacher, age 75.

My brother was the chief of a very large hospital in Austin, Texas before becoming the vice president of the Texas Hospital Association. He is also retired.
There are two hospital nurses in my extended family, so my family is very familiar with the problems you may be have now.

Buena suerte!

Your Sistema Colts made in Argentina are very desirable 1911s. I never have seen one though.
I have a Sistema Colt Modelo 1927 the number indicates thet it was made in 1949, it has only 5000 rounds through it, my father bought it brand new in Fabricaciones Militares,and he gave to me as a present, it is AWESOME!!, it has a trigger job done in it and it is exceedingly accurate, I used to shoot at 100yds into a target, this was little iron pig 60x50cm , I was seated in the ground and my arms rested in my knees my back against a tree, alt 25yd you can stay in the 9 ring (slow fire pistol target) if you do your part!!... I like very much the 1911, I am trying to finish with the issue on the ejector rod pin "poping" out when I clean my Remington 1911R1, any to solve this problem???
Buena Suerte!!!
Good luck for you and your people!!!

Roberto Renauld
Old 04-19-2020, 10:22 PM

For inertia feed problems, replace the recoil spring with a new 16 pound one. A weak recoil spring will allow the slide velocity to be much faster causing it to bounce the last round out of the magazine when the slide impacts the most rearward point against the slide. That would be the first and cheapest thing to check.
Old 04-20-2020, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain H View Post
For inertia feed problems, replace the recoil spring with a new 16 pound one. A weak recoil spring will allow the slide velocity to be much faster causing it to bounce the last round out of the magazine when the slide impacts the most rearward point against the slide. That would be the first and cheapest thing to check.
Dear Mr "Captain H", thank you for your helpful advice I already fixed this problem, I have changed my magazines and now I have no issues with this sublect al all.
The only issue left unsolved is that of the ejector rod pin coming out of its hole in the frame when the slide is out of the frame (when I clean the gun this pin pops out) as said by other people from the Forum is it a good practice to "deform" with a hammer this pin????? and then restore back (with or without Loctite 243 blue medium strengh)????? Will this steel element (ejector pin) stand the hammering without bracking????..
Thanks a lot for your advice!!!!
RR
Old 04-20-2020, 08:17 AM

As I understand, someone advised you to deform the pin which holds the ejector in place, not the ejector itself, therefore there is no need to hammer the ejector. Also, the roomer on a street is Springfield doesnt pin their ejectors, the just put them on some sort of a glue, like Locktite. I own a Springfield, and, yes, I dont see any pins holding ejector on this pistol, unlike Remingtons. Just try to locktite both pin and the ejector itself to the frame. Maybe it works.
Old 04-20-2020, 10:45 AM

1911 threads should always include illustrations.
Attached Thumbnails
8B8939CF-15BE-4699-99EF-79B536CA7865.jpeg  
Old 04-20-2020, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp1970 View Post
As I understand, someone advised you to deform the pin which holds the ejector in place, not the ejector itself, therefore there is no need to hammer the ejector. Also, the roomer on a street is Springfield doesnt pin their ejectors, the just put them on some sort of a glue, like Locktite. I own a Springfield, and, yes, I dont see any pins holding ejector on this pistol, unlike Remingtons. Just try to locktite both pin and the ejector itself to the frame. Maybe it works.
Yes, the advice was to deform only the pin and then put in place again!!!, not to deform the ejector rod itself!!..
Thank you very much for you advice !!!..
Best Wishes
RR
Old 04-20-2020, 11:15 AM

Quote:
1911 threads should always include illustrations.
Yes Sir, indeeed this is the gun I have!!!!...It was made in Illion Faciliyies at NY
Best Regards
RR
Old 05-15-2020, 08:17 AM

Yesterday sent a private message did you read it????

Quote:
Denny
If you did please acknowledge....
Best Wishes
RR
Old 05-15-2020, 11:02 AM

Regarding the private message...,thank you very much for your help!!!...
Nice to have you as my Forum friend!!!
Best Regards
RR