Colt New Agent - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 06-29-2020, 06:13 PM

Colt New Agent

Just got a Colt New Agent today. I'm trying to figure out about how much it's actually worth. I'm seeing the standard New Agent models sell for around 750 on Gunbroker, but this appears to be a Talo New Agent Model. Model number 07812DN with the Novak night sights. Any estimation on how much this Talo New Agent model would be worth?
Attached Thumbnails
Colt Talo.jpg  
Old 06-29-2020, 06:36 PM

I gave $850 for GT02878 last week. I have no idea about a Talo. I thought the whole concept of the gun was “No Sights”. All of the guns I looked at had a gutter sight (groove the length of the slide). Sights hang up and tear on my secret agent costume, that’s why I bought the gun. I hate it when I have to buy new costumes.

Last edited by STORM2; 06-29-2020 at 06:39 PM.
Old 06-29-2020, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STORM2 View Post
I gave $850 for GT02878 last week. I have no idea about a Talo. I thought the whole concept of the gun was “No Sights”. All of the guns I looked at had a gutter sight (groove the length of the slide). Sights hang up and tear on my secret agent costume, that’s why I bought the gun. I hate it when I have to buy new costumes.
Tearing a secret agent costume sounds like a bad day.

Last edited by jwmeador; 06-30-2020 at 06:59 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2020, 07:51 AM

Talo made runs of New Agents with XS big dot sights and a run or 2 with Novaks. They aren't worth any more then a Defender.
Old 06-30-2020, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwmeador View Post
Just got a Colt New Agent today. I'm trying to figure out about how much it's actually worth. I'm seeing the standard New Agent models sell for around 750 on Gunbroker, but this appears to be a Talo New Agent Model. Model number 07812DN with the Novak night sights. Any estimation on how much this Talo New Agent model would be worth?
This gun came out I think closer to ten years ago, and if memory served, it was maybe 100 bucks more than the standard New Agent.

I was going to buy it but then it was too similar to the standard Defender, so I passed on it.
Old 06-30-2020, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebuck View Post
Talo made runs of New Agents with XS big dot sights and a run or 2 with Novaks. They aren't worth any more then a Defender.
That's what I thought. Based on some research I did, from the way I understand it there was only 200 with the Novak night sights made. The pistol is unfired and if it not worth any more I think I might shoot it. Thanks for the response.
Old 06-30-2020, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnfalman View Post
This gun came out I think closer to ten years ago, and if memory served, it was maybe 100 bucks more than the standard New Agent.

I was going to buy it but then it was too similar to the standard Defender, so I passed on it.
I guess a New Agent with Novak sights is just like a Defender anyway.
Old 06-30-2020, 10:04 AM

Well the selling point for the Talo New Agent at the time was it was the only way to get a 3" Colt 1911 in blue with sights and the front slide bevel. Now you can get a standard Defender that way. Plus it had the fancy grips. The Talo XS was the first run and its was EXPENSIVE. Like $1200. Then the Novak run. I would shoot the hell out of it.
Old 06-30-2020, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebuck View Post
Well the selling point for the Talo New Agent at the time was it was the only way to get a 3" Colt 1911 in blue with sights and the front slide bevel. Now you can get a standard Defender that way. Plus it had the fancy grips. The Talo XS was the first run and its was EXPENSIVE. Like $1200. Then the Novak run. I would shoot the hell out of it.
I think I will! Thanks
Old 06-30-2020, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwmeador View Post
I think I will! Thanks
And if you can't find Colt replacement recoil spring assembly, the Kimber equivalence will do.
Old 06-30-2020, 07:27 PM

I just put the EGW version in my defender and it works great. Mine finally started to be suspect after 20 years.
Old 07-01-2020, 01:33 AM

I installed the EGW assembly in mine (New Agent) and had the chance to test fire it yesterday. It ran fine, feeding 230 and snake shot intermixed from a standard mag with an XGrip mounted. The POI and POA will take some getting used to but after all it is a belly gun. Seems like time to pull the Ransom out. The gun will get a trigger job and ivory but no sights even if the new belly gun distance is now 6 social feet. Shall we now call it a social distance gun? How bad would a stainless trigger, hammer, grip and thumb safety look? New Secret Agent (NSA) (snuck that one in) guns should be flashy. I need another 1911 platform like another hole in the head but I’m starting to like it. It joins my all steel Wilson Sentinel in the 3 inch ACP department.

Last edited by STORM2; 07-01-2020 at 01:52 AM.
Old 07-01-2020, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STORM2 View Post
...Sights hang up and tear on my secret agent costume, thatís why I bought the gun. I hate it when I have to buy new costumes.
~Jeff Cooper
Old 07-01-2020, 10:21 AM

I get the feeling that Talo has Colt make something and if it is a hit then I later it is rolled into the main Colt line. I liked the front of the slide on the New Agents years ago. Of course it is now on all Defenders. I have a Defender I bought in 2002 in 45ACP on top and one I bought in 9mm in 2010 on the bottom. Both came with the rubber Houge grips which I replaced with wood stocks.

I have a little pile of Defender money but am saving it for a nice example of an early one in 40 S&W. I just don't want one enough to "gunpoker" it. I did see one of the early Defenders with the full length grip several year ago in the used section of a LGS (Defender Plus?) for $840 but not interested in one of those.