reprofiling RIA frame? - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 06-28-2020, 12:20 AM

reprofiling RIA frame?

Has anyone ever reprofiled a RIA frame to Colt specs? I have one, but they feel like a 2x4 in my hand.
Old 06-28-2020, 11:46 AM
1911 Aficionado

Not a RIA, but I have reprofiled the front strap of a square-ish frame.
I used a file and emery cloth, and it turned out OK, but I made sure the edge where the round transitioned to flats was right at the front edges of the grip panels, so any unevenness would be hidden.

This pic is intended to show the magwell, but it does show how far I wrapped the front strap around to meet the grips.
Attached Thumbnails
rcp3-4.jpg  
Old 06-28-2020, 12:03 PM

Not specifically RIA, but my FLG thought hand checkering was a terrible waste of time and energy so he built a machine. The first thing he would do was to run a straight cutter over the front strap to give it a standard radius and a uniform surface so the checkering would come out even.

If for your own use, file, sandpaper, and patience like RickB.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2020, 08:57 PM

RickB, nice work on the magwell opening. Very nicely done.
The modern production 1911 - high visibility sights, beavertail grip safety, aluminum trigger, good trigger pull, enhanced slide/ frame fit, accurized barrel/bushing fit. If itís not a Kimber, itís a copy.
Old 07-02-2020, 05:55 AM

Not which profile aspects you are looking to change. RickBís sample is excellent. Here is an in progress work I have on a RIA GI. My focus was to move up the curve behind and below the trigger guard. The second was a little more curve from the front strap to the grip frame flats. I also reduced the arc down the center of the front strap. I do this to change the way my fingers wrap around the front strap and also to reduce length of pull. I do this on many of the 1911ís I build.
Attached Thumbnails
67F044F5-7B0F-4990-8B5D-9AA49D5DC0BE.jpeg   B012FAC5-2EF5-4244-9E75-7BA1BD72CBFA.jpeg   F36B9206-8149-46CF-9104-8F61F1F58E0F.jpeg  
The modern production 1911 - high visibility sights, beavertail grip safety, aluminum trigger, good trigger pull, enhanced slide/ frame fit, accurized barrel/bushing fit. If itís not a Kimber, itís a copy.

Last edited by Magnumite; 07-02-2020 at 06:02 AM. Reason: oopsie...added pics
Old 07-04-2020, 06:25 AM

Remember that you could find a void in a cast frame that you wouldn't in a forged frame and ruin the thing pretty quickly. I'm a RIA fan through and through and but it's something to consider, and know, that a lot of Smith's won't touch cast frames for this very reason.
Old 07-04-2020, 10:13 AM

^^^ One major smith on this site stated that.