Kobra Carry Options? - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 06-27-2020, 08:05 PM

Kobra Carry Options?

Several years ago I was very close to ordering a Kobra Carry from Jerry Hammond, but life got in the way. It or an Executive Carry has been my dream gun for a while.

I’m almost to the point where I want to try again, and I want to get some input from the EB veterans here on options I should consider. My goal is to keep the price relatively low, but I don’t want to overlook any must-have options.

Right now I’m leaning toward a very basic pistol. Stainless is a must for me, since this will probably be the only semi-custom I’ll ever be able to afford, and EB is famous for this. I’m not sure if I should go for the gold bead or orange HR front sight. Besides that, is there anything else I should think about?

Last edited by mhl6493; 06-27-2020 at 08:48 PM.
Old 06-27-2020, 08:44 PM

Hey there mhl6493, I just placed an order with Jerry yesterday for a Ed Brown bobtail.

I have been looking at some threads by Rastoff on here and really liked what I read and seen.

I really want to make this my carry gun.

Here are my specs....
Carbon Steel Frame & Slide, Chainlink 3, .140 Ledge Rear Sight, HD XR Orange Front Sight, Short Solid Trigger, Trigger Pull 3.5 - 4 lbs., Concealed Carry Grip Safety, Smooth Cocobola Grips, Forged Slide Stop, Naked Slide. 45 ACP Everything else is standard.

Ed Brown stainless is second to none in my opinion. As far as the gold bead or orange, I have chosen the orange this time because if everything goes good I want to make this my EDC.

Gotta say I really like Ed Brown Products.

Hope this helps......
Old 06-28-2020, 02:06 PM

I always wanted and Kobra Carry and finally got one a few years ago.

Mine is stainless and I run TruGlo TFX Pro sights on all my carry guns so that's what I swapped out the stock sights for.

I love the gun, extremely comfortable, extremely reliable

I have tried to work with the company on more than one occasion to do some custom work and it has not been an easy process...Enough so that after attempting to contact them so that I could spend money, they've made it so hard that I've held off and not spent my money on the purely cosmetic upgrades so I guess I should be appreciative of the fact that they can be so tough to contact/work with since it has saved me some money...lol...Love my Kobra Carry though...just wish I felt a bit more love from the company...
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2020, 02:28 PM

I bought one in .38 super. Black gen 4 coating over stainless. Fiber optic front sight. Fixed sight rear instead of adjustable. I got it in all black. I think it would look better with an aluminum trigger. If I had it to do over I would not get the chamfered slidestop hole on the right and the flush slidestop. Nice gun. I got the standard trigger weight rather than the upgrade. If I recall correctly it came at 3.75 pounds. Trigger is perfect. No creep. Crisp. Gun is tight but reliable. Depends on what you are going to do with it regarding sights. Everyone’s eyes are a bit different.
Old 06-28-2020, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldpistol View Post
I bought one in .38 super. Black gen 4 coating over stainless. Fiber optic front sight. Fixed sight rear instead of adjustable. I got it in all black. I think it would look better with an aluminum trigger. If I had it to do over I would not get the chamfered slidestop hole on the right and the flush slidestop. Nice gun. I got the standard trigger weight rather than the upgrade. If I recall correctly it came at 3.75 pounds. Trigger is perfect. No creep. Crisp. Gun is tight but reliable. Depends on what you are going to do with it regarding sights. Everyoneís eyes are a bit different.
Oldpistol, you sure were lucky to get it in .38 Super while it was being offered.
Old 06-28-2020, 04:54 PM

I think I was lucky to get one in .38 super. Correct me if I am wrong but from time to time I think that they have offered batches of .38 super. Not sure how big the batch is. I think it was 3 years ago when I got mine. Another plus for Ed Brown is that they offer (or did) a custom serial number as an option.
Old 06-28-2020, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnr View Post

Mine is stainless and I run TruGlo TFX Pro sights on all my carry guns so that's what I swapped out the stock sights for.

I have tried to work with the company on more than one occasion to do some custom work and it has not been an easy process...Enough so that after attempting to contact them so that I could spend money, they've made it so hard that I've held off and not spent my money on the purely cosmetic upgrades so I guess I should be appreciative of the fact that they can be so tough to contact/work with since it has saved me some money...lol...Love my Kobra Carry though...just wish I felt a bit more love from the company...
I'll echo MR's post. I have an Ed Brown LW Kobra Carry 45, and I just bought an all stainless SF Bobtail Commander from Osage County Guns last week. (BTW, five days later and it hasn't shipped yet). I had a Ed Brown SF 5" that I recently sold. So I've got/had 3 Ed Brown guns.

Ed Brown, in my experience, is definitely not Wilson Combat when it comes to customer service. I've emailed Ed Brown Guns, sent PMs to their rep on the forum, and called them with questions I had about various models, and rarely, if ever, received a response. Their rep on the forum got back to me about a week later, once.

I sent back my brand new Kobra Carry to have the thumb safety tightened up and they charged me $100. Not a biggie, but it seems like they don't really care about customer service. They make really nice guns, and you buy em and sometimes have to live with something that's maybe not perfect or exactly the way you want it, or deal with an unresponsive customer service rep. Too bad.

I know there are a lot of anal, demanding customers out there that are a pain in the ass for the manufacturers, but Wilson Combat has made a commitment to pleasing all of their customers, even the pains, where Ed Brown's attitude is take it or leave it.

Last edited by bradsvette; 06-28-2020 at 08:07 PM.
Old 06-28-2020, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldpistol View Post
I think I was lucky to get one in .38 super. Correct me if I am wrong but from time to time I think that they have offered batches of .38 super. Not sure how big the batch is. I think it was 3 years ago when I got mine. Another plus for Ed Brown is that they offer (or did) a custom serial number as an option.
I think you are right about the batches (Limited Edition). Then about the time I was able to get my first Ed Brown they had started offering .38 Super as a choice. But they have since dropped that option. Probably low sales. I think they still offer the custom serial number.
Old 06-28-2020, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradsvette View Post
I'll echo MR's post. I have an Ed Brown LW Kobra Carry 45, and I just bought an all stainless SF Bobtail Commander from Osage County Guns last week. (BTW, five days later and it hasn't shipped yet). I had a Ed Brown SF 5" that I recently sold. So I've got/had 3 Ed Brown guns.

Ed Brown, in my experience, is definitely not Wilson Combat when it comes to customer service. I've emailed Ed Brown Guns, sent PMs to their rep on the forum, and called them with questions I had about various models, and rarely, if ever, received a response. Their rep on the forum got back to me about a week later, once.

I sent back my brand new Kobra Carry to have the thumb safety tightened up and they charged me $100. Not a biggie, but it seems like they don't really care about customer service. They make really nice guns, and you buy em and sometimes have to live with something that's maybe not perfect or exactly the way you want it, or deal with an unresponsive customer service rep. Too bad.

I know there are a lot of anal, demanding customers out there that are a pain in the ass for the manufacturers, but Wilson Combat has made a commitment to pleasing all of their customers, even the pains, where Ed Brown's attitude is take it or leave it.
Wow, thatís not exactly confidence inspiring...
Old 06-28-2020, 09:05 PM

Kobra Carry Options?

I have an EB Executive Carry and a Lightweight Kobra Carry both in .45 ACP.

Ordered the EC with gold bead front sight, .140 U notch rear, naked slide, custom engraved bushing, and 3 to 3.5 pound trigger pull.

Everything u need, nothing I donít.

Excellent guns.

Never had to use their customer service.

Last edited by gps man; 06-28-2020 at 09:08 PM.
Old 06-28-2020, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhl6493 View Post
Wow, thatís not exactly confidence inspiring...

I have over 19 thousand rounds through my Ed Brown KC. It is my daily carry. I have had a couple of issues that occurred and although EB will typically not cover shipping, they have completely taken care of any and all issues... above my expectations. I understand why some complain about the shipping, but they totally take care of the pistol once it is in their hands. For $99 you get shipping both ways, inspection, cleaning and fresh springs. Not a bad deal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 06-28-2020, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnr View Post

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gi1964 View Post
I have over 19 thousand rounds through my Ed Brown KC. It is my daily carry. I have had a couple of issues that occurred and although EB will typically not cover shipping, they have completely taken care of any and all issues... above my expectations. I understand why some complain about the shipping, but they totally take care of the pistol once it is in their hands. For $99 you get shipping both ways, inspection, cleaning and fresh springs. Not a bad deal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhl6493 View Post
Wow, that’s not exactly confidence inspiring...

I think if you talk to people like I have over the past 20 years about EB, you'll find that these statements are true and really do give you a good idea of what to expect so that you go in with your eyes open....That's honestly the only reason I shared what I shared...

I still hope to have my custom work done by them one day and it'll be a day when I have the patience, time & money...all on the same day...
Old 06-29-2020, 10:43 AM

Quote:

I disagree with your assertion. True one can't please every customer, but I know we do our best to make it right. As for contacting us, it is quite simple, use the contact form (https://www.edbrown.com/contact) and we usually answer within a few hours sometimes minutes. We do take time off and since I lead the team that handles customer service you can see why I might take it personally when you tell others we do not answer your emails? As for PMs I am not always on the forum, I do try to monitor it, but as you might have guessed we stay pretty busy. Small team, better pistols, better service. FYI for the past 2.5 years our customers have been able to rate our service and the results are above 95%. I think that is outstanding considering that you can't please everyone.
Old 06-29-2020, 11:40 AM

Whenever I needed to communicate with Ed Brown, I've always emailed them. Always had a reply from them when I went to check my mail the next morning.

I've never had a problem with them.

Also, I really appreciate them being here on the forum.

Hope this helps.....
Old 06-29-2020, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Brown Products View Post
I disagree with your assertion. True one can't please every customer, but I know we do our best to make it right. As for contacting us, it is quite simple, use the contact form (https://www.edbrown.com/contact) and we usually answer within a few hours sometimes minutes. We do take time off and since I lead the team that handles customer service you can see why I might take it personally when you tell others we do not answer your emails? As for PMs I am not always on the forum, I do try to monitor it, but as you might have guessed we stay pretty busy. Small team, better pistols, better service. FYI for the past 2.5 years our customers have been able to rate our service and the results are above 95%. I think that is outstanding considering that you can't please everyone.
I apologize if I offended you, but I have emailed, PM-ed, and called in the past and didn't receive a response, except for the PM that was answered about a week later. However, the more I think about it, I may have emailed the wrong Ed Brown address. That's my bad if so.

I'm sure you guys are busy, and I do love your guns, so we'll see what happens if/when I send my new SF Commander bobtail back in to have the thumb safety tightened. I like the thumb safeties very tight. I'll use the contact form this time instead of emailing your email address. Thanks...

Last edited by bradsvette; 06-29-2020 at 12:45 PM.
Old 06-29-2020, 03:10 PM

Being someone that has preferred live conversation, I've come around to Ed Brown's approach of using their contact form followed by return email(s) if needed. And, every single time my needs were met...to the point, it has sometimes resulted in me buying more Ed Brown Products or using their services. I really enjoy working with their customer service team...their emails are clear, timely, kind and professional.
Old 06-29-2020, 05:59 PM

I have emailed Ed Brown on three occasions and received a reply within hours each time.
Old 07-01-2020, 11:38 PM

I'm disappointed in you guys, 17 posts and not a single picture.

OP, their stainless is the best, period.

Honestly, you don't need a ton of options. Decide on the trigger, thumb safety profile and front sight and be done with it. If you do a KC make sure the rear cocking serrations match the mainspring housing with snake-scale treatement.

If I was going the Executive Carry route I'd do skip-line checkering and flatten and serrate the slide top, if it was me.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Kobra Carry.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	261.3 KB
ID:	587538
I'm a 1911 addict -- 9mm's: ACW Brimstone, Les Baer Stinger, Benchmark Precision Bobtail, Vic Tibbets bobtail, Volkmann Combat Carry, Ed Brown Kobra Carry, WC Sentinel Compact, WC ULCC, WC Bobtail Professional, NH T4, NH Counselor and a G43 -- 38 Super's: GI Government, WC Professional, WC Stealth, WC CQB Elite, DW CBOB, DW Guardian, WC Sentinel Compact....and oh 3 mid 70's Colt Commanders out for a builds; NH, KGB and Mr. Yost.
Old 07-02-2020, 02:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Brown Products View Post
No doubt you can't please everyone---In fact, for over a decade I was at the helm of a national multi-million dollar company as a customer service representative and for the past 12 years I have been running my own company so I surely understand that. The difficulty that many of us find is that we want to talk to someone. We have thousands of dollars tied up in these purchases and our faith in your work leads us to consider spending/investing even more but we want to talk to someone.

Passion is not defined by logic...there are emotions involved in our love for you work and these amazing pieces of functional art. Many of us want to have a conversation about what we're considering doing and get a feel for what the right direction is to make us your happiest representatives.

I believe it would behoove you to consider making yourself more accessible to the public, even if it is to only those that have registered serial numbers with you or something that you can use to vet out your loyal customer/consumers.
Old 07-02-2020, 07:17 AM

Hi All. I just got my new-old-stock Ed Brown SF Commander yesterday from Osage County Guns via Gunbroker. It looks very similar to azguy1911's except the cocking serrations lean forward and the grip treatment is chainlink. The thumb safety is probably perfect for most users, but it's too soft for me, so I'm going to send it back to have it tightened via the $99 tune-up. I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 07-02-2020, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azguy1911 View Post
I'm disappointed in you guys, 17 posts and not a single picture.

OP, their stainless is the best, period.

Honestly, you don't need a ton of options. Decide on the trigger, thumb safety profile and front sight and be done with it. If you do a KC make sure the rear cocking serrations match the mainspring housing with snake-scale treatement.

If I was going the Executive Carry route I'd do skip-line checkering and flatten and serrate the slide top, if it was me.

Attachment 587538
Mercy, that's just beautiful!
Old 07-08-2020, 07:10 AM

My choices are purely cosmetic. I would go with the snakeskin (Kobra) serrations all around, the flush cut muzzle, the beveled slide stop hole but leave the end of the slide stop rounded. I like the look of ball end cuts and I like that orange front sight on my 9mm Kobra Carry along with a U-notch rear. I used to think Browns had not so great triggers from the factory but they seem to wear in quickly. I would also ask them to add "BROWN" to the barrel bushing like in the old days. I have more1911's than I can find time to shoot, including at least one from about all of the famous makers. For reasons I can't explain, any of my four Ed Browns are the most accurate in my hands. It is like they are on autopilot when it comes to finding the center of the target. For anyone contemplating entering into the realm of hi-end 1911's, I would advise them to start with a Brown.
Old 07-08-2020, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old doc View Post
My choices are purely cosmetic. I would go with the snakeskin (Kobra) serrations all around, the flush cut muzzle, the beveled slide stop hole but leave the end of the slide stop rounded. I like the look of ball end cuts and I like that orange front sight on my 9mm Kobra Carry along with a U-notch rear. I used to think Browns had not so great triggers from the factory but they seem to wear in quickly. I would also ask them to add "BROWN" to the barrel bushing like in the old days. I have more1911's than I can find time to shoot, including at least one from about all of the famous makers. For reasons I can't explain, any of my four Ed Browns are the most accurate in my hands. It is like they are on autopilot when it comes to finding the center of the target. For anyone contemplating entering into the realm of hi-end 1911's, I would advise them to start with a Brown.
Thanks, old doc. I appreciate those suggestions!
Old 07-08-2020, 09:33 PM

When I bought my very early Kobra Carry the only choices were FLGR vs GI. What a wonderful pistol! Brown's stainless is immaculate.