E Series Wilson Combat ETM Magazine Problem - suggestions? - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 06-09-2020, 01:46 AM

E Series Wilson Combat ETM Magazine Problem - suggestions?

Hi, newbie to the forum here. I have a magazine issue with my E Series 1911TA and would like to know if anyone else has encountered a similar problem or have any ideas on what to do. I recently purchased some Wilson Combat ETM mags and they will not work in this firearm. An ETM mag can only be fully inserted on a closed slide with some force. After it finally latches on a closed slide, you can only move the slide back half way. It will not go fully all the way back. If a mag is inserted with an OPEN slide, it is impossible to move the slide stop lever down to release the slide. Something with the ETM is really causing a hang-up and I can't fully determine what it is. Note that I've only tried to insert these mags while they are empty. The factory S&W mags and the McCormick Power mags I have seat fine and will go in and out of the mag well with ease, slide open or closed, and the gun runs flawlessly with these mags. The nylon follower of the ETM is the most noticeable difference I see between the others.

I contacted WC to see if they were aware of any issues with the E Series and the tech I communicated with said he was not aware of any fitment issues with the ETM's in any 1911. He asked if it looked like the mag was hitting the extractor and I reminded him that the E Series have an external extractor, and that doesn't appear to be the issue. He said he was at a loss to explain this and suggested I try a 47D mag, though at this point I'm a bit hesitant to purchase another WC mag that may or may not work. The ETM's work great in my buddy's Rock Island, but not my Smith. Has anyone ever encountered a similar issue with WC mags in an E Series?
Old 06-09-2020, 06:36 AM

All I use in my SW1911TA, never an issue.

NRA Benefactor Life Member
Old 06-09-2020, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1191bmj View Post
If a mag is inserted with an OPEN slide, it is impossible to move the slide stop lever down to release the slide.
Is this with an empty mag?

Edit to add: I overlooked this in your OP.

Quote:
Note that I've only tried to insert these mags while they are empty.
By design, it should be nearly impossible to release the slide with an empty mag inserted in the gun. It is a sign you have good follower/slide stop contact, and good spring in the mag.

The inability to release the slide with an empty mag inserted is completely normal, that's how it's supposed to work.

Last edited by jtq; 06-09-2020 at 09:19 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2020, 08:44 AM

Quote:
He asked if it looked like the mag was hitting the extractor and I reminded him that the E Series have an external extractor, and that doesn't appear to be the issue.
I suspect he probably said "ejector" and not extractor.
Old 06-09-2020, 08:51 AM

Quote:
An ETM mag can only be fully inserted on a closed slide with some force.

He said he was at a loss to explain this and suggested I try a 47D mag, though at this point I'm a bit hesitant to purchase another WC mag that may or may not work.
If these are fully loaded with 8 rounds, a 47D would typically be more difficult to seat with the slide forward than an ETM. The ETM has a longer tube than the 47D and are usually easier to seat than the 47D as there isn't much room in that tube for the spring to compress with 8 rounds.

Wilson has instructions they include with their magazines that may be helpful.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/wilsoncomba...s/47Series.pdf
Quote:
Like other mechanical devices, your Wilson Combat® magazine may be a little stiff when first used. This is normal and should not effect its feeding capabilities, however you will notice that as you use your magazine it will become easier to load and seat in your pistol and it will function even more smoothly over time. If you wish to expedite the break in process simply leave your new magazine loaded to capacity for a day or two, this will preset the spring to normal operating tension.
Old 06-09-2020, 09:30 AM

Quote:
The factory S&W mags and the McCormick Power mags I have seat fine and will go in and out of the mag well with ease, slide open or closed, and the gun runs flawlessly with these mags.
You can study the Wilson magazines and find the interference or you can use what you know works.
I would send them back if Wilson would accept them otherwise trade them off.
Old 06-09-2020, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtq View Post
Is this with an empty mag?

Edit to add: I overlooked this in your OP.

By design, it should be nearly impossible to release the slide with an empty mag inserted in the gun. It is a sign you have good follower/slide stop contact, and good spring in the mag.

The inability to release the slide with an empty mag inserted is completely normal, that's how it's supposed to work.
Ah, yes. Just remembered that after you mentioned it. Fairly new to the 1911 platform, I'm more used to polymer-framed striker-fired...
Old 06-09-2020, 12:51 PM

Quote:
I suspect he probably said "ejector" and not extractor.
Yes, ejector. I know there is a difference, I see the terms used interchangeably so many times now I mixed them up myself...
Old 06-09-2020, 12:57 PM

Quote:
If these are fully loaded with 8 rounds, a 47D would typically be more difficult to seat with the slide forward than an ETM. The ETM has a longer tube than the 47D and are usually easier to seat than the 47D as there isn't much room in that tube for the spring to compress with 8 rounds.

Wilson has instructions they include with their magazines that may be helpful.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/wilsoncomba...s/47Series.pdf
The ETM's are much more difficult to seat than the other mags; the ETM needs a good smack to seat. Thanks for the tip, I see WC says these may be a bit difficult at first. I'll try loading a full mag and let it sit for a few days and see if that helps.
Old 06-09-2020, 02:44 PM

Quote:
The ETM's are much more difficult to seat than the other mags;
Check and see if it is the front lip of the bumper pad that is contacting the front strap of your S&W. There are a few brands of 1911's that have that issue, I think Les Baer may be one, but I don't know if that is an issue with S&W's.
Old 06-10-2020, 04:28 PM

Groo here
Never had much luck with Wilson..
Trip or Metalform........
Old 06-11-2020, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Check and see if it is the front lip of the bumper pad that is contacting the front strap of your S&W. There are a few brands of 1911's that have that issue, I think Les Baer may be one, but I don't know if that is an issue with S&W's.
No, that's not an issue. Plenty of clearance.
Old 06-13-2020, 07:37 PM

Try fully loading them to 8 rounds. Leave them set for 2 weeks. When you are ready to try to shoot the firearm. Lock the slide back with the gun empty. Download the magazines to 7 rounds. Slingshot the slide. Which means to insert the magazine and pull the slide to the rear quickly and release the slide holding the frame with the other hand at the same time. And chambering a round at the same time. See if that works?
Old 06-18-2020, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by groo01 View Post
Groo here
Never had much luck with Wilson..
Trip or Metalform........
I’m not a fan of Wilson Mags in my E Series 1911TA, and I believe their reputation exceeds their worth because, due to their lack of controlled feed, they’ll run in guns with less than ideal feed geometry, but Checkmate and CMC PowerMags have proven perfectly reliable.
Old 06-18-2020, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsalt65 View Post
I’m not a fan of Wilson Mags in my E Series 1911TA, and I believe their reputation exceeds their worth because, due to their lack of controlled feed, they’ll run in guns with less than ideal feed geometry, but Checkmate and CMC PowerMags have proven perfectly reliable.
I probably know your source for the "lack of controlled feed", but what can you tell me about the CMC PowerMags and their controlled feed?
Old 06-20-2020, 08:49 AM

I’ve not had any issues with Wilson etm mags in my eseries. Runs like a sewing machine