1911Forum banner

Kimber Super Carry Custom HD

12K views 15 replies 15 participants last post by  Insta-Gator 
#1 ·
I am contemplating buying a Kimber Super Carry Custom HD, and I would like some feedback on the quality, reliability, etc of the gun. Also, what is a good baseline on the break in period because, I've heard everything from 100-500 rounds. Is there a preferred lubrication or lubrication method? To give context; this will be my first 1911 style pistol, and I understand that there is a difference between shooting 1911s and other pistols. What mags work the best with this model? Finally, are there any parts that need to be changed out?

#2 · (Edited)
Best thing to do is read this. Talking advice from others on things like wearing in is dangerous because not every manufacture recommends the same thing for the same reasons.

As far as mags, it's the same with any 1911, the ones that you like and the gun likes better. :)

The only parts that need to be changed out are mags when they get empty and they can be reused :D, and any part that breaks which is not likely.

The only other thing I would say is, if it's for carry, go for it if it's got the features you want/like. If not, consider getting a full size gun without a rounded butt. A bobtail or rounded butt (Kimber's answer for a bobtail) are great for carry, but not needed and to me not preferred if it's not.

#6 ·
I bought mine two months ago but it's the full size version. I took it out for its maiden voyage this weekend and it ran flawless. It shoots a bit high but I think it's me, the other problem is the finish is already coming off. This is after it was already sent back because the finish basically flaked off upon first cleaning out of the box. How is your finish holding up. I love the gun but the finish is more like a water color paint to me. I hope to get a Raptor soon.

#8 ·
Mine still looks new after 600 rounds and being carried. I suspect Kimber may have had a bad batch that day of Kim Pro finish they are not telling anyone about. Perhaps it might even have been a prep problem before the coating was applied. Flaking finish is not holster or normal wear to a finish.

#9 ·
I've run more than 500 rounds through mine and haven't had a single hiccup even with Remington hollow point self defense loads. As far as I am concerned, this weapon was ready for concealed carry right out of the box. You should be good to go.

#11 ·
SRJim said:
The only parts that need to be changed out are mags when they get empty and they can be reused :D,
and any part that breaks which is not likely.
:rock:

And the standard RTFM (Read The Funny Manual). :)
They recommend FP-10 oil, and it has worked very well for me.

#12 ·
Best 1911 I have ever owned

I have two of them and tell people all the time it is EXACTLY the 1911 I would have had custom built for myself if I had my druthers and all the money in the world. Fortunately, Kimber made them already with the Super Carry Custom HD, so all I had to do was buy them.

I use the Kim Pro Tac Magazines and Wilson Combat Mags.

I lube with Weapon Shield and Shooter's Choice Grease.

Best purchase(s) I ever made.

#14 ·
In terms of lubing the 1911, I use Ultima-Lube II by Wilson Combat. They have videos of how to apply it their 1911s and I followed their recommended procedures.

This lube is the best I have ever used and makes the slide action really nice
on my pistol and all my other pistols for that matter.

-Shin0bi1

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.