2 more Colts on my radar - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise


Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-18-2019, 07:39 PM
corpsman5 corpsman5 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 365
2 more Colts on my radar

so, I definitely need to get caught up financially from my last 2 purchases, but I wanted to share the next 2 Colts that I plan on purchasing. the first one is a 1918 (Edit: the owner stated it was a 1919. I looked up the number, and found it to be a 1918.) with an Eagle's Head Stamp behind the trigger guard, and the second one is an RS stamped 1941. Unfortunately, the '41 has heavy holster wear on the top and left side of the slide. I love the A1's, so I still want it. At this point, I'm planning on purchasing the 1918 first, but I wanted to see what you guys think.

1918 pics












1941 pics




Last edited by corpsman5; 12-18-2019 at 11:06 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-18-2019, 08:00 PM
dsk's Avatar
dsk dsk is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Posts: 69,210
The 1919 is a better investment. The 1941 has a lot of finish issues and the slide stop is wrong.
__________________
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-18-2019, 08:03 PM
corpsman5 corpsman5 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
The 1919 is a better investment. The 1941 has a lot of finish issues and the slide stop is wrong.
I appreciate the info! I figured that was the better choice.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old 12-18-2019, 11:04 PM
corpsman5 corpsman5 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 365
just found something interesting... I just took the owner's word, along with his written notes, for fact concerning the year of the 1919. I just looked it up, and that info was wrong. It's a 1918. Much better in my mind.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-19-2019, 05:02 AM
tristan tristan is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 142
The Black Army has unusually good finish for that variant but what's up with the area around the serial number? Too bad about the finish wear on the RS but it still is a desirable variant for the right $$$.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-19-2019, 06:10 AM
filson filson is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: alabama
Posts: 1,241
corpsman5.....
Do you mind sharing the serial number of the 41 blued RS?
dsk.....
What's wrong about the 41 slide stop?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-19-2019, 08:48 AM
corpsman5 corpsman5 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by tristan View Post
The Black Army has unusually good finish for that variant but what's up with the area around the serial number? Too bad about the finish wear on the RS but it still is a desirable variant for the right $$$.
yeah, I definitely like that Black Army finish. I also wondered what went on with the finish around the serial number, but a lot can happen in 100 years. I like the RS just because I like A1's so much. Also, you don't see the RS stamps quite as often. I'm not sure what the right money is, but I'm going to buy them both when I get caught up.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-19-2019, 08:51 AM
corpsman5 corpsman5 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by filson View Post
corpsman5.....
Do you mind sharing the serial number of the 41 blued RS?
dsk.....
What's wrong about the 41 slide stop?
don't mind at all. the serial number for that one is 725,228.

I think dsk is right about the slide stop. I believe that's the earlier variant.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-19-2019, 06:05 PM
Welder7 Welder7 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 35
Corpsman you are on a role!!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-19-2019, 08:01 PM
filson filson is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: alabama
Posts: 1,241
corpsman5
Thanks for the info. I own 734355, one of the last blued 41s. FWIW, 725288 shipped from Colt on 29March41, mine on 18July41. Roughly 10000 blued pistols shipped in about three and a half months
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 12-19-2019, 08:04 PM
stan2 stan2 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,182
Quote:
Originally Posted by tristan View Post
The Black Army has unusually good finish for that variant but what's up with the area around the serial number?
Quote:
Originally Posted by corpsman5 View Post
yeah, I definitely like that Black Army finish. I also wondered what went on with the finish around the serial number, but a lot can happen in 100 years.
tristan and corpsman5,

That's the way some of them look !?

Best Regards,


Attached Thumbnails
OLD pls 1913 1918 2963-2.jpg  
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12-19-2019, 08:35 PM
corpsman5 corpsman5 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Welder7 View Post
Corpsman you are on a role!!
thanks! just lucked up on a good fishing hole. I usually have horrible luck. lol... it's just a shame it all comes at once, and not spread throughout the year. makes it harder financially. I've got to do some catching up on my money now.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 12-19-2019, 08:36 PM
corpsman5 corpsman5 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by filson View Post
corpsman5
Thanks for the info. I own 734355, one of the last blued 41s. FWIW, 725288 shipped from Colt on 29March41, mine on 18July41. Roughly 10000 blued pistols shipped in about three and a half months
you're very welcome! thanks to you also! I'm looking forward to picking this one up, but it may be a while, as I've decided to go for the 1918 first, since the condition is so nice.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 12-19-2019, 08:37 PM
corpsman5 corpsman5 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan2 View Post
tristan and corpsman5,

That's the way some of them look !?
Thanks for the confirmation on that, stan2. Any idea what caused them to look that way? from what I can see of that one, it looks to be in fantastic condition.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 12-19-2019, 10:28 PM
stan2 stan2 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,182
Quote:
Originally Posted by corpsman5 View Post
Thanks for the confirmation on that, stan2. from what I can see of that one, it looks to be in fantastic condition.
corpsman5,

Here's more of it. https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=970358

Best Regards,
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 12-19-2019, 10:50 PM
corpsman5 corpsman5 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 365
great post, and amazing pistol! thanks for sharing.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 12-20-2019, 09:57 PM
corpsman5 corpsman5 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 365
so after more reading and studying of the serial number/production year charts, it seems that the one with serial number 557,475 could possibly be either 1918 OR 1919. there doesn't seem to be any way to tell, as those around that number were shipped out of sequence. if anyone has additional info, I would be glad to hear it.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 12-21-2019, 06:32 AM
Plantar5 Plantar5 is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 6,370
I might be joining this vintage Colt /1911 club.... I learned of a ‘Old” Colt 1911 while at my mechanic just yesterday. Its one of several firearms that remains from a collection of this young guys uncle or grandfather. He said that around 20-30 guns were sold off already through a consigner/FFL. He didnt know very much but said he’ll take some photos for me. Sight unseen, i offered to buy it so his family gets ALL the money. I followed with interest these threads appreciating all the knowledge offered by fellow forum members. I told him to field strip it and get pictures, in addition to offering some help if he didnt know how.
Sorry for the sidetrack, but as of now, its just a story, with some unknowns. Hopefully, more to follow.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 12-21-2019, 06:59 AM
Scott Wilson Scott Wilson is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 331
It looks like 1918.
Attached Thumbnails
557475.PNG  
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 12-21-2019, 07:15 AM
Scott Wilson Scott Wilson is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 331
A short article on the Watervliet Arsenal.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watervliet_Arsenal
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 12-21-2019, 09:16 AM
corpsman5 corpsman5 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plantar5 View Post
I might be joining this vintage Colt /1911 club.... I learned of a ‘Old” Colt 1911 while at my mechanic just yesterday. Its one of several firearms that remains from a collection of this young guys uncle or grandfather. He said that around 20-30 guns were sold off already through a consigner/FFL. He didnt know very much but said he’ll take some photos for me. Sight unseen, i offered to buy it so his family gets ALL the money. I followed with interest these threads appreciating all the knowledge offered by fellow forum members. I told him to field strip it and get pictures, in addition to offering some help if he didnt know how.
Sorry for the sidetrack, but as of now, its just a story, with some unknowns. Hopefully, more to follow.

best of luck to you! I hope it's a nice one for a good price, and that it finds a new home with you.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 12-21-2019, 09:19 AM
corpsman5 corpsman5 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wilson View Post
A short article on the Watervliet Arsenal.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watervliet_Arsenal
wow... can't believe that arsenal is still in operation! thanks for the link, and also for the picture showing the build date of the pistol in question. that pretty much settles that. while not a WWI pistol, it's still a 1918. was that in the Clawson book? Either way, I really appreciate it. I saved that picture to the file with the other stuff concerning that pistol. thanks again!
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 12-21-2019, 02:45 PM
Scott Wilson Scott Wilson is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 331
Those shipping records are from Scott Meadows' first book and can probably be found elsewhere as well. For an assembly date you would need a Colt letter.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 12-21-2019, 04:58 PM
corpsman5 corpsman5 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wilson View Post
Those shipping records are from Scott Meadows' first book and can probably be found elsewhere as well. For an assembly date you would need a Colt letter.
understood, and thanks again for the info.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 12-30-2019, 12:02 PM
corpsman5 corpsman5 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 365
anyone care to give an estimated value of the 1918? Just wanting to make sure that I don't over pay too much.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:18 AM.


NOTICE TO USERS OF THIS SITE: By continuing to use this site, you certify that you have read and agree to abide by the Legal Terms of Use. All information, data, text or other materials ("Content") posted to this site by any users are the sole responsibility of those users. 1911Forum does not guarantee the accuracy, integrity, or quality of such Content.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2015 1911Forum.com, LLC. All Rights Reserved