New to the forum but now I have pictures... - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 02-08-2020, 02:11 PM

New to the forum but now I have pictures...

Hello,

I had previously posted regarding a 90 yr old neighbor who has a friend wanting to sell one 1911 and one 1911 A1. The SN's are: 1916406 for the A1 which turns out to be a Remington Rand then SN 379081 which is a Colt and the 1 looks like it was added after the fact. After meeting with him this morning at his house I learned he did buy these from the NRA program in 1952. I am still interested in them but would like to know what the group thinks they are actually worth? I want to be fair with the gentlemen, he's an 80 yr old vet, but I do feel he may think they are worth more than what may be realistic.

I've attached several pictures in groups, the first group are all pics of the Remington Rand:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...Rf?usp=sharing

This second group of pictures is of the Colt:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...Gy?usp=sharing

Hopefully these links work for the pictures.

Let me know what you think and any advice you can give me or information I can share with the current owner of these guns.

Thanks!
Blake Reynolds - Atlanta, GA

Last edited by Breynolds; 02-08-2020 at 03:27 PM.
Old 02-08-2020, 03:09 PM

Says I need permission to view pics.
Old 02-08-2020, 03:29 PM

Edited the URL to the pictures..

I believe I've fixed the google drive permissions so anyone can view the pictures. Let me know if you can't see them.

Thanks!
Blake
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2020, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breynolds View Post
I believe I've fixed the google drive permissions so anyone can view the pictures. Let me know if you can't see them.

Thanks!
Blake
Looks good. If you double click on the image you can enlarge it.
I've never seen a US Army stamped like that on the Colt, but I'm fairly new to this. Maybe someone else can chime in on that.
Old 02-08-2020, 04:39 PM

The Remington Rand is an October 1944 build. The slide bears the marks of the Blanchard machine which were most noticeable in 1945. I don't recall seeing them on 1944 pistols but at that time of the war, anything was possible. Perhaps one of the experts will comment on that. Otherwise the pistol looks pretty decent..
The Colt is a WWI frame, the main spring housing, hammer, trigger with a post WWII hard slide introduced in the 1950s. The whole package has been refinished. The barrel is a replacement High Standard. The stocks are not correct. The magazine is a WWII subcontract Colt-Scovill. The pistol is pitted under the refinish. The last digit of the serial number is odd but I think I've seen something like that on this forum. The marking on the upper right side of the slide, forward of the ejection port was added and doesn't belong there.
The Remington Rand may be a $1400-$1500 pistol. The Colt considerably less.
Old 02-08-2020, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breynolds View Post
Hello,

I had previously posted regarding a 90 yr old neighbor who has a friend wanting to sell one 1911 and one 1911 A1. The SN's are: 1916406 for the A1 which turns out to be a Remington Rand then SN 379081 which is a Colt and the 1 looks like it was added after the fact. After meeting with him this morning at his house I learned he did buy these from the NRA program in 1952. I am still interested in them but would like to know what the group thinks they are actually worth? I want to be fair with the gentlemen, he's an 80 yr old vet, but I do feel he may think they are worth more than what may be realistic.

I've attached several pictures in groups, the first group are all pics of the Remington Rand:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...Rf?usp=sharing

This second group of pictures is of the Colt:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...Gy?usp=sharing

Hopefully these links work for the pictures.

Let me know what you think and any advice you can give me or information I can share with the current owner of these guns.

Thanks!
Breynolds,

For the RR,...You do not show us the "P" on the top of the slide (just in front of the rear sight). It should be identical to the "P" on the left side of the receiver.

Most likely, the receiver would have had to be held back (corrected and then assembled after RR introduced the slide with the Blanchard cut) for the slide to be original to the Pistol. It would take detailed examination of the Pistol to determine if the parts could all be original.? (Might continually require an explanation on why it might present this way ?)

Here's one (believed to be all original) VERY close to 2 Million (about 84000 after the one you pictured), most likely, assembled late in 1944. It Does Not have the Blanchard cut slide.

Best Regards,

Attached Thumbnails
series 80 CU com mag 015-5.jpg  

Last edited by stan2; 02-08-2020 at 09:56 PM.
Old 02-08-2020, 06:15 PM

Is the grip safety later also? On the 1911.
Old 02-08-2020, 06:52 PM
Administrator

The Remington Rand looks pretty nice and is around $1900-$2000. The Colt is a 1918 frame that has likely been rebuilt multiple times and has a 1950's GI contract slide on it. Value on it is maybe between $1200-$1400.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 02-09-2020, 07:36 AM

Beautiful REMRAND, congrats.
Old 02-09-2020, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filson View Post
The Remington Rand is an October 1944 build. The slide bears the marks of the Blanchard machine which were most noticeable in 1945. I don't recall seeing them on 1944 pistols but at that time of the war, anything was possible. Perhaps one of the experts will comment on that. Otherwise the pistol looks pretty decent..
The Colt is a WWI frame, the main spring housing, hammer, trigger with a post WWII hard slide introduced in the 1950s. The whole package has been refinished. The barrel is a replacement High Standard. The stocks are not correct. The magazine is a WWII subcontract Colt-Scovill. The pistol is pitted under the refinish. The last digit of the serial number is odd but I think I've seen something like that on this forum. The marking on the upper right side of the slide, forward of the ejection port was added and doesn't belong there.
I will just echo pretty much everything Filson said. However, I would probably push the value of the RR to between $1650-$1850. I would probably value the Colt to a max of about $1200, to the right person.
Old 02-09-2020, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filson View Post
The hard slide is not refinished. Colt received an order for slides during the Korea emergency. Not being tooled up for military slides, they simply took their standard Government Model slides off the line after roll-marking but before polishing, Parkerized them and sent them out. The 'M1911..' marking on it is not standard procedure but some arsenals would do this when putting a newer slide without that marking on an M1911 frame that also did not have the marking. I wouldn't change anything on it and with that slide you can shoot it all you want.
Old 02-09-2020, 08:18 PM

1saxman
"they simply took their standard Government Model slides off the line after roll-marking but before polishing, parkerized them and sent then out"
In my book that means the slide was initially blued, not polished, roll marked and then parkerized. Sounds like a refinish to me.
Old 02-10-2020, 08:20 AM

No, they were not blued, because that would have meant polishing, which would have 'knocked down' the roll marks. They were taken off the line before polishing but after roll marks, then Parkerized for the contract. You can always tell one of these has its original finish by seeing/feeling the raised steel around the characters of the roll mark. Blued Government Models with the same slide never have this as Colt always polished the slides before bluing.
Old 02-10-2020, 02:41 PM

Well, I just hung up with the current owner of these two guns and we struck a deal for $3,400 for both guns and the two old holsters he as for them. That may be too much or it may be right there at what the are worth but both guns will only grow in value over the years. Hope I did okay, glad to have them! Sometimes you can let emotion get in these deals.

Old 02-11-2020, 01:45 AM

Breynolds, I think you did alright on the pricing. It was very close to just a bit more than less part. I think it is about right. Take care of both of old USGI Remington Rand and Colt!