1911Forum banner

Holster for Backpacking

13K views 29 replies 22 participants last post by  1SHOT1HIT 
#1 ·
I'm trying to figure out the best way to carry while backpacking in the mountains and I'm not really sure which way will work best. Mounting a holster on the backpack straps or belt is an option, but it would also be nice to still have the gun on me when I set the pack down. Have also considered a tactical leg holster but they seem like they might get annoying after hiking for a while. What ideas can you guys come up with?

#29 ·
Another option...

I go backpacking quite a lot in Washington and carry this on the waist belt of my pack;

http://www.tacticaltailor.com/lunarconcealedcarrypouch.aspx

I move it to my belt when my pack is off if I'm going for a little jaunt, into the Ranger Station, etc. I also like the fact that it's not laying in the dirt when your pack is on the ground. While it will take an extra moment to access I actually like that it's concealed. Washington is full of liberal freaks and sometimes I just want tot enjoy time with my family and not have the comments.

I've treated mine with some ScotchGuard to help keep it dry both in the snow and rain. In the exterior pocket I keep a few Rem Wipes in a ziplock baggie just so I can do some minor cleaning on multi day/week long trips.

My brother has the all black version and had a red medic cross sewn to the front so no one is the wiser about what's in the bag.

I carry a SA Sub Compact .40 and an extra mag and it fits just fine.

As for the leg holster, I guess that depends on the type of hiking you're doing. 20+ miles a day? Your leg will be rubbed raw. 2-3 miles at and easy pace and you'll probably be fine.

It seems to work well for me, hope it helps.

#30 ·
I use a Old Navy Messenger style bag when I'm doing something that requires both hands and waist isnt an option, Although a zipper pull could cost you your life in the worst of situations , Waist is ALWAYS best if you can do it. Well shoulder also but Immediate access is a must. Zippers put a good 2-3 seconds between you and your only protection. Just my opinion

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.