Rock River Arms 1911 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 06-25-2019, 01:48 PM

Rock River Arms 1911

Do any of you have any experience with a Rock River Arms 1911? I see them advertised in gun magazines but do not remember reading a review of one except the polymer version. The older versions had a good reputation but I do not know about the newer models'
Old 06-25-2019, 01:59 PM

Rock River Arms 1911 pistols

These guns were very well made, but they stopped producing them for a while, and then began producing them again but only in .45acp. Here is a link for their line of pistols:

http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.c...&category_id=5

Rock River is well known for their quality AR-15 rifles and variants.....
Old 06-25-2019, 02:50 PM

I think the RIA Tactical Model is a great value for a 1911, especially one that is gonna be shot a lot. Great way to learn about the 1911. I have bought several.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2019, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryO45 View Post
I think the RIA Tactical Model is a great value for a 1911, especially one that is gonna be shot a lot. Great way to learn about the 1911. I have bought several.
This thread is about Rock River, not Rock Island. The steel-frame pistols of the former are much, much higher up the 1911 food chain than anything from the latter.

Last edited by Austin_TX; 06-25-2019 at 04:55 PM. Reason: typo
Old 06-25-2019, 04:29 PM

Maybe this will help you. There is even new ones for less than $400!

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...l+Model+&type=
Old 06-25-2019, 04:42 PM

Rock River and Rock Island are two different manufacturers - Rock River in the U.S. and Rock Island in the Phillipines.
Old 06-25-2019, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hub1home View Post
Maybe this will help you. There is even new ones for less than $400!

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...l+Model+&type=
Please see the posts immediately before and after yours.
Old 06-25-2019, 05:16 PM

Austin, I hope you get them straightened out. I get it. There is no comparison. Lol

John
Old 06-25-2019, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homicide View Post
Austin, I hope you get them straightened out. I get it. There is no comparison. Lol

John
I think this has happened on every Rock River thread in history, so there's no hope. Can't help it, though.
Old 06-26-2019, 07:18 PM

The few newly produced Rock Rivers I have seen are no where near the quality of those produced in 2006ish. I would put DW as a better built pistol. Truly a shame......
Old 06-26-2019, 08:44 PM

When I saw them at the NRA convention I was very disappointed with the triggers and the overall loose fit of the models I inspected.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Old 06-27-2019, 06:15 PM

I own 2 of their older guns, a Basic Carry and a Tactical, with a Black-T finish. Very high quality. You can see the Baer bloodline in them, I feel. Great shooting guns.

--Thomas Jefferson
Old 06-27-2019, 06:22 PM

When they went back into production of the 1911, I was eager to see them at the SHOT Show. I was unimpressed, particularly at that price point.
Old 06-28-2019, 04:30 AM
Administrator

I have 2 RR guns that date back to before they got into the AR business. They are very well made. I haven't had any experience with the new ones; their abandonment of the 1911 product line once has left me doubting their commitment to it still.
Old 06-29-2019, 10:40 AM

I have three of them... all are great. An older basic carry and Limited Match. I also will say the, gulp, polymer I bought is pretty darn good. That was a little unexpected.

As for saying 'the samples I saw at Shotshow weren't good'.... I have seen that said of several guns at that show as sometimes they are non-production samples just to show off the model and get attention. Do not judge a company with a good rep just on those
Old 06-29-2019, 04:02 PM

I have owned four of the RRA 1911 pistols and still own two. I had one of the new "Carry" pistols and liked how it was fit and the groups I could shoot with it. I sent it down the road because I have too many other pistols that fit that same role. The other one I sold was a Bullseye Wadcutter gun as I no longer compete in that sport.

I will admit that the ones I kept are older ones, both Elite Commandos. One is a five-inch pistol and the other is a Commander-length pistol. The five-inch gun, a polished blued model, is more refined than the "Carry" model, but that was to be expected based on MSRP differences.
Old 06-29-2019, 09:42 PM

I saw quite a few and our team bought several at Camp Perry pistol nationals. Better fit and finish than the other semi-customs at Perry. I would recommend them without hesitation.
Distinguished Pistol #388
Old 06-29-2019, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayhawkNavy02 View Post
I saw quite a few and our team bought several at Camp Perry pistol nationals. Better fit and finish than the other semi-customs at Perry. I would recommend them without hesitation.
The new ones or original older ones?

Jim
Old 08-31-2019, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayhawkNavy02 View Post
Another bump. Thanks Jayhawk.
Old 09-11-2019, 08:41 PM

I have a “new” one. I have carried it for at least 3-4 years now. I called up after they said at shot show they were going to produce them again and had one built.

It is getting worn now on the outside but still has a whole pile of life left in it. It has been carried almost daily on and off duty. The things shoots like a house of fire. Only issue I have had is with Gold Dots new G2 ammo. I have had a few issues with failure to feed. I have had it a few times where the polymer tip of the ammo “skids” on the feed ramp and fails to go into battery. Could be a slightly worn recoil spring mixed with a dirty gun. Whatever it is, i shoot standard gold dot. Runs all day every day.

Yes you pay a bit but with that money you get a lot of features and most guns are guarded 2.5” at 50 or better.