1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 10-28-2017, 04:34 AM

We have already been disarmed and the politicians aren't to blame

My whole family owns and enjoy guns, but I recently came to the conclusion, that nobody carries because of the policy of their work place..
All the places my family and I work in, don't allow guns.
So I carry on my own time, like if I go out on the weekends.
I left my gun in my truck for awhile at work, but the chance of break in plus the heat in the summer and the cold in the winter just didn't make sense.
So the companies we work for has successfully disarmed the average worker.
And we are unarmed 40 hours a week.
Of course this doesn't apply to the crazy person that is going to bring a gun into the workplace and kill everybody.
Crazy people and Criminals don't obey rules.
What are your thoughts?
Old 10-28-2017, 05:05 AM

I don't have that problem. If I did though thats when Id be throwing my little sig 238 in my pocket and keeping my mouth shut about it. Id rather have something and worry about the consequences if I heaven forbid had to use it.
Old 10-28-2017, 05:42 AM

One of the reasons I like KY, employers can't prevent you from having your gun in your car at work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2017, 06:12 AM

I’m retired now, so it doesn’t matter but before retiring, I had the same issue. A lot of military bases do not allow personal firearms on base. None. There’s an armory and a magazine on base with issued weapons but personal firearms .... nope.

"That which you come by too easily, you value too lightly."
Old 10-28-2017, 07:42 AM

I guess I'd have to be considered lucky in that regard. I own my own business so I carry every day at work as well as after work. Being able to set your own work rules is a blessing in more ways than one. Having said that, when I was an employee, I also carried though Texas didn't have a concealed carry law back then.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is its natural manure.” Thomas Jefferson
Old 10-28-2017, 07:45 AM

Retired now. Live in mountains two hours away from a big city. Carry when I am heading into town. I avoid stupid people, dodgy places and late night locations. The question in my mind is I have been contemplating buying concealed carry insurance. How many of you have it and which insurance carrier?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-28-2017, 08:01 AM

Quote:
The question in my mind is I have been contemplating buying concealed carry insurance. How many of you have it and which insurance carrier?
Probably a topic for another thread.

I have insurance but I'm not happy with it. They don't seem to monitor their website.

I'm looking at changing it this winter. Not sure what I will end up with. Probably Armed Citizens Legal Defense.
Old 10-28-2017, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJx View Post
One of the reasons I like KY, employers can't prevent you from having your gun in your car at work.

Yes, here in Ky your car is looked at as an extension of your home. Toyota in Lexington got successfully sued by an employee who was wrongfully terminated when the " No weapons on Company Property " was put in place. They knew of some folks who had them in their vehicle, and fired one to set precedent. The employee took it to the Ky Supreme Court .
When it was brought up at one of our meetings, the supervisors are very cautious and only quoted company policy about weapons on the property. And now there are signs on every entrance door prohibiting weapons. I'm sure some still have them in their car/truck but once you step foot out side of your vehicle then you are on their property. Which goes back to what was posted earlier about being unarmed for the 40 ( or more ) hours.
I've been waiting on the day when something happens where the employee is forced to be unarmed and an incident happens where they cannot protect themselves.
I can see where a good argument can be made against the employer for removing you're ability for self defense. Sure, they have security cameras everywhere, but they've never seem to be working or pointed in the right direction when they could benefit the employee like when a theft occurs or when an employee got run over.
But, then again , it is private property. And it is the company's right to dictate.
BoB

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 10-28-2017, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejr10mm View Post
I don't have that problem. If I did though thats when Id be throwing my little sig 238 in my pocket and keeping my mouth shut about it. Id rather have something and worry about the consequences if I heaven forbid had to use it.
Judged by 12 or carried by six. Its your choice. Its a no win. if you carry and use it for defense in a posted area you will have a mountain of legal issues. Dont fool yourself into believing it will be over looked because you were the hero who saved the day. On the other hand if you are dead then your family has to deal with that mess.

Weigh the odds and make a choice. Just be prepared for what ever the outcome
Old 10-28-2017, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totally Tactical View Post
What are your thoughts?
In essence, you signed a contract as a condition of employment you agreed to.
Until or unless regulators determine it's a violation of health and safety work place regs/laws, it's just "the way it is"

As Freemen, we all have two choices
.....and either choice involves risk

carry or don't

..L.T.A.
Old 10-28-2017, 08:55 AM

I have a lockbox in my car, should I need it. I normally do not go to those places that are "gun free". But there are some places that carrying a gun poses a problem, such as going to get a CT scan or MRI for example. My company used to prohibit guns in the office, but in the last office building they moved into, they could not do it. I use Texas Law Shield for my insurance.

Companies prohibit guns due to insurance risk requirements. Basically as an employee you are a quantifiable thing. They can put a value on you. You are worth what your company life insurance policy is worth. But a criminal or crazy person cannot have a value applied to them. These people are an unknown monetary risk. Thus the accountants, and insurance companies tend to freak out in that case. So they try to minimize the risk to limit their liabilities. Thus prohibiting guns looks good in court.
Old 10-28-2017, 10:53 AM

I also worked for a company that forbade weapons at the workplace, but being from Texas have always had a weapon secured in the vehicle. Now I'm retired, carry daily and avoid those places where I cannot. During my work years, it wasn't worth the risk of losing a job, especially since many of our facilities used magnetometers.

Alan
Old 10-28-2017, 05:15 PM

My wife is a school teacher. no option to carry. I loved the alice training they gave her. Throw books at the bad guy. Algebra 1 text book vs ak47. even I can do that math
Old 10-28-2017, 05:33 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlwb View Post
Companies prohibit guns due to insurance risk requirements. Basically as an employee you are a quantifiable thing. They can put a value on you. You are worth what your company life insurance policy is worth. But a criminal or crazy person cannot have a value applied to them. These people are an unknown monetary risk. Thus the accountants, and insurance companies tend to freak out in that case. So they try to minimize the risk to limit their liabilities. Thus prohibiting guns looks good in court.
Unfortunately companies also cannot control whether an employee is even competent enough with a firearm to carry or use it judiciously and effectively in the presence of co-workers. We've seen news articles of armed teachers having careless ND's in classrooms and people leaving guns inside bathroom stalls. Not everyone who has a gun and a carry permit is as careful or disciplined as you and me. Every day I encounter drivers who I honestly believe need to have their car keys and license taken away, so it just figures that there will be equally reckless morons carrying firearms. I know it hurts to say that on a gun forum, but it's the sad truth. Workplaces are private property so your Constitutional rights mean nothing, and they simply don't want to have to deal with it.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 10-28-2017, 06:15 PM

Well said. Even though I have a horse in this race I dont support every teacher with a ccw carrying at school. There has to be training and qualifying. I would go as far as to say they need to be better than the average cop. Which I know is not saying much. No disrespect intended towards any leo.

Anybody remember the good old days when you could leave your door unlocked?? Times have changed that now we are talking about arming school teachers.
Old 10-28-2017, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJx View Post
That poor women who lost his her parents, in the Luby's cafeteria shooting, had her gun in her car, too. If it's not on your person, when you need it, it really doesn't matter where else it is.

--Thomas Jefferson
Old 10-28-2017, 08:24 PM

I suspect...

Most people... do it anyway. They just take extra precautions.

That said there are a lot of stupid companies that will indeed end up getting their own employees killed because some of them actually listened to it...

I know when I was in the civilian side... I did carry anyway.

Last edited by Silverquick; 10-28-2017 at 08:26 PM.
Old 10-28-2017, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tractor View Post
I’m retired now, so it doesn’t matter but before retiring, I had the same issue. A lot of military bases do not allow personal firearms on base. None. There’s an armory and a magazine on base with issued weapons but personal firearms .... nope.
Yeah that is an executive order from the Obama Administration if I remember right.

The military used to allow it, but after Obama it suddenly and mysteriously stopped...

This needs to be reversed and pronto.

It was part of what saved our guys in Iraq, originally they did not supply the troops well enough, so they ended up using personal weapons for protection. And often times those personal weapons were much more effective than the issued weapons.

As I said, this is a relic of the Obama Administration that needs to be removed... and pronto. Its a detriment to US Forces readiness and capability and adaptability.
Old 10-28-2017, 08:37 PM

Owned my own business before I became disabled and forced into retirement and now I carry all the time.
Old 10-28-2017, 09:24 PM

Most company’s are willing to take the risk of a workplace violent act. Because the risk is low.
And the bottom line says it’s the cheaper route NOT to allow ( at least openly ) to carry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-28-2017, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverquick View Post
Yeah that is an executive order from the Obama Administration if I remember right.

The military used to allow it, but after Obama it suddenly and mysteriously stopped...

don't know how accurate this is.
But the author says Clinton in '93

https://legalbeagle.com/7166427-gun-...allations.html

Military installations are technically “gun free” zones meaning that military and civilian personnel are prohibited from possessing weapons without special authorization. This policy includes those living on military bases who are not allowed to keep personal weapons in their domiciles. Regulation 90-114 regulates firearms on military bases and was implemented by President Clinton in 1993.

Authorization Officials
Law enforcement and security personnel are authorized to carry weapons consistent with their duties by field grade officers-- or the civilian equivalent--of GS-12 or higher. Authorization for carrying a weapon for personal protection is based on case-by-case basis. The Secretary of the Army reserves the right to authorize the carrying of weapons for personal protection within the United States. The carrying of weapons on military installations outside of United States is authorized by the base commanders.
Authorized Use
Individuals authorized to carry firearms may be involved in law enforcement or base security, including the protection of military or civilian personnel, protection of classified documents or military equipment, and guarding prisoners. Generally, authority is implied when ammunition is issued with the weapon.
Firearms Restrictions
Military or civilian personnel prohibited from carrying weapons on military bases include those who are medically disqualified, have had a security clearance revoked or denied, or those who are taking medication which may impair judgment. Additionally, anyone who has consumed alcohol within the past 8 hours is denied access to firearms.

..L.T.A.
Old 10-28-2017, 09:46 PM

I have a CCW issued by San Bernardino County. I worked for the County. We could not carry on county property or any property leased by the county.

It is my opinion the 12/2/15 shootings would not have been as bad as it was if there were a carrier or two in the crowd of 80 people.
Old 10-28-2017, 09:48 PM

One has to wonder if the business insurance company has some influence on having a firearm at the business.
Old 10-28-2017, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappi View Post
don't know how accurate this is.
But the author says Clinton in '93

https://legalbeagle.com/7166427-gun-...allations.html
[I]
Military installations are technically “gun free” zones meaning that military and civilian personnel are prohibited from possessing weapons without special authorization. This policy includes those living on military bases who are not allowed to keep personal weapons in their domiciles. Regulation 90-114 regulates firearms on military bases and was implemented by President Clinton in 1993.

Authorization Officials
Law enforcement and security personnel are authorized to carry weapons consistent with their duties by field grade officers-- or the civilian equivalent--of GS-12 or higher. Authorization for carrying a weapon for personal protection is based on case-by-case basis. The Secretary of the Army reserves the right to authorize the carrying of weapons for personal protection within the United States. The carrying of weapons on military installations outside of United States is authorized by the base commanders.
..L.T.A.
I do know Obama shut all of it down in Iraq.

We already know that multiple members here have posted screenshots of themselves in Iraq some time ago flashing their 1911s. Not to mention some of them talking about it in their stories and actual usage both in Desert Storm and the Gulf War.

And not some cheap Iraqi stuff either, one was a Colonel with a nice stainless 1911.

Any mod here knows this to be true.

We all saw it.

EDIT: We also know Civilian Contractors had them out there too. One of the individuals that posted here flashed his pictures as well. The guys he was with were all Americans and some had Mini 14s, some had AKs a smattering of various weapons.

Last edited by Silverquick; 10-28-2017 at 10:00 PM.
Old 10-28-2017, 10:34 PM

The OP has a really great point. It is basically why I don?t carry much....because it?s not practical so I guess basically other private people have limited my ability. I can?t have a gun in the car either because it?s a fleet vehicle. Sure, I can break the rules and get busted and fired. I don?t have to be a ?hero? either only let it slip or have someone see it.

I work at home most of the time...:don?t need to carry but my gun is in easy reach. The car is off limits, the office is off limits and I fly a lot for work.
Closed Thread