Hi i'am new here - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 03-25-2020, 04:36 PM

Looking at getting my first 1911

What can you tell me about the Kimber Custom TLE II an what your experience?

Last edited by Willy123; 03-25-2020 at 08:39 PM.
Old 03-25-2020, 08:58 PM

Welcome Willy 123,
I have a Custom TLE/RL II in 10 mm and I have to say its my favorite pistol to shoot. Love the G 10 grips and night sights cant go wrong in my opinion.
Old 03-26-2020, 01:13 PM

I had a Kimber TLE II ("Custom"=5" barrel in Kimber-speak).
I traded it off, but overall, it was a good gun. I liked the simple matte-blued finish which I liked even as it began to wear from being carried a lot. This model was basically modeled after the guns Los Angeles P.D. SWAT issued to its team-members before the railed models became (as far as I know) standard. I believe LAPD is still using Kimber 1911 guns but now with the rails.

I really liked the front strap checkering, the night sights, the trigger pull & feel, and the accuracy of my example. I did replace the full length guide rod and plug with G.I. type versions as I prefer. I'm beginning to miss it the more I type about it.

Some negatives/criticisms on this model.

-When I bought this gun back ~2007, Kimber had a bad batch of slide-stops which tended to cause premature slide-lock-backs, unless replaced or filed/fitted. Kimber sent me a new slide-stop which solved the problem as I filed my original too much. Later, I found Ed Brown and Wilson-Combat slide stops worked fine without need for further fitting.

-I had a gunsmith ensure the Swartz (aka Series II) firing pin safety was timed just right to unblock the firing pin just before the grip safety allowed the hammer to drop when pulling the trigger. The gunsmith's method was to add just a bit of weld to lengthen the grip safety portion which contacted the Swartz safety parts.

-Kimber is hit or miss on its extractor tuning on delivered guns. Any 1911 might need some more attention to the extractor's adjustment (bending, just right) and Kimber, being a production gun, is one of those 1911 brands.

-Also, the firing pin stop Kimber provides is a Series 80 type, which works, but the extra cut in the firing pin stop isn't needed in Kimber's 1911 guns, whether with its Series II firing pin safety or the Kimbers which don't have the Series II. I recommend an aftermarket firing pin stop to remove any excessive extractor clocking as some Kimber extractors are a bit loose in this area and is another reason to get a good "Series 70" type firing pin stop.
Personally, I still own and will sometimes carry a Kimber 1911 (SIS Custom model), but I'll seldom recommend any 1911 to just anybody unless that person really wants a 1911 and is willing to learn how to personally maintain a 1911.

On a 1911, things can/will break and new parts may need fitting, instead of just merely being plugged into place. For some folks this is fine; for others, it can take months for them to get the parts, find a gunsmith, or send the 1911 back to the factory. I've sent many guns (not just a 1911) back for various work and it's always nice to have a spare gun to have/use while one is away & down-for-service.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2020, 09:29 PM

I once owned a stainless steel TLE-RL II and it ran perfectly.
Old 03-27-2020, 07:22 AM

Hi from North Dakota
Old 03-27-2020, 07:35 AM

Welcome to the forum from Virginia.
Old 03-27-2020, 01:07 PM

Wow alot of information up there L-2 and many Kimber owners.

Yep getting myself into a 1911 world thought Kimber TLE II be a great first pistol for Daily carry CCW and home defence and even in the shooting sports of USPSA Single Stack Division class would be alot fun. unless think take another route in 1911's out there.
Old 03-31-2020, 11:12 AM

Welcome, I think the TLE2 is a fine gun. I don't think you'll go wrong.
Old 04-03-2020, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Vaccaro View Post
Welcome, I think the TLE2 is a fine gun. I don't think you'll go wrong.
Thanks. I been worried since reading alot the Kimber forms here and TLE II as my first 1911 been a fan of Kimber since saw that 2003 SWAT movie. I know i'm a nerd.
Old 04-03-2020, 07:38 PM

Hi Willy. I liked the Custom so well I picked up a Pro (4 inch barrel). I have havn't had a burp or hiccup. Being steel they are a good range pistol. A little heavy for EDC but with a good holster and belt not bad.
Old 04-03-2020, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickByus View Post
Hi Willy. I liked the Custom so well I picked up a Pro (4 inch barrel). I have havn't had a burp or hiccup. Being steel they are a good range pistol. A little heavy for EDC but with a good holster and belt not bad.
Wow awsome. You never had a no issues none? Did you had break in the pistol to losen it up? 38oz not heavy like carrying a middle age sword around haha. yeah need a strong belt and holster its a good to go.
Old 04-04-2020, 11:13 AM

I sold my Kimber TLE a while back, just too heavy for daily CC. Out of the eight Kimber 1911's I own, my favorite CC is my Super Carry Ultra + .45 ACP.

With 8+1 on board and the 3" Officers upper, it conceals very well, is reasonably light, and has all the power one would need in a social situation.

Got to love those alloy frames for CC. My range gun is all steel though.
Old 04-05-2020, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick in Oregon View Post
I sold my Kimber TLE a while back, just too heavy for daily CC. Out of the eight Kimber 1911's I own, my favorite CC is my Super Carry Ultra + .45 ACP.

With 8+1 on board and the 3" Officers upper, it conceals very well, is reasonably light, and has all the power one would need in a social situation.

Got to love those alloy frames for CC. My range gun is all steel though.
That's a bummer sold your TLE. I've heard Kimber super carry ultra is a awsome CCWDU epecially picturue your pistol holy crap freaking slick!
By the way how come sold your TLE an what was reason for it if it's ok to ask?
Old 04-05-2020, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy123 View Post
That's a bummer sold your TLE. I've heard Kimber super carry ultra is a awsome CCWDU epecially picturue your pistol holy crap freaking slick!
By the way how come sold your TLE an what was reason for it if it's ok to ask?
Thanks, I like her too.

As mentioned in my post, for daily CC, the steel frame/slide on the TLE RL-II was just too heavy for carry, and I really had no need for a pistol with a light rail, much preferring to hold my Surefire in my off-hand. Also didn't need another .45, although I ended up with another one in the end, but with an alloy frame. Go figure.

I had the G10 grips fluted to match my other guns:

Old 04-05-2020, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick in Oregon View Post
Thanks, I like her too.

As mentioned in my post, for daily CC, the steel frame/slide on the TLE RL-II was just too heavy for carry, and I really had no need for a pistol with a light rail, much preferring to hold my Surefire in my off-hand. Also didn't need another .45, although I ended up with another one in the end, but with an alloy frame. Go figure.

I had the G10 grips fluted to match my other guns:

Ok that i understand the TLE.RL II that about 2oz more then just TLE II that is 38oz empty but i get what your saying. I prefer the same thing carry pistol have light on my off hand like old school/modern never fails.

Speaking that see have two tone and G10 match it black an silver awsome. You know your torturing me on getting my first 1911 hahaha.