Whose closer to royal blue; Glenrock or Ford’s? - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 03-22-2020, 01:45 PM

Whose closer to royal blue; Glenrock or Ford’s?

So I’ve decided to have my 1981 Python refinished and I’m currently choosing between Ford’s and Glenrock. Pricing is pretty close for both services and they both are pretty well regarded from what I’ve seen. My question is who can better match the royal blue finish and whose bluing has more of a wet blue tint to it than a more black finish?
Old 03-22-2020, 07:13 PM

Ford's was always famous for their wet look Python Royal Blue mirror type refinish, and Glenrock is famous in the trade for doing very high level work for custom gunsmiths needing the best.
95% of a top level blue job is in the hand polishing.

However, after 1969 Colt changed their chemicals and after that all Colt's, including the Python had a more blue-black color.

I suspect that all chemicals these days will have the same general blue-black color no matter who does the work.
So, to be "correct" your Python should have that color, but the Royal Blue appearance is all in the hand polishing to get it to a mirror polish without rounding off edges and corners or leaving ripples in the flats.
It just isn't going to have the old pre-war furnace blue color, that was never used on the Python anyway.
Old 03-22-2020, 07:58 PM

Very well put. My python is definitely more black looking buts definitely dull. I’m still torn between which to choose. Glenrock quoted me at $600 plus shipping to and from so roughly $800 total. Ford’s quoted me $450. I guess it comes down to whose best. Glenrock doesn’t show many pictures online so I asked if he can send me more refinished photos.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2020, 11:45 AM

Fords work could fool me into thinking its original. He'll even recut the rollmarks for you. A lot of bluing places polish over them, and make them dull looking.
Old 03-23-2020, 01:05 PM

Think I’m going with Ford’s. They also offered me a 10% LEO discount.
Old 03-23-2020, 02:57 PM

Id go with Fords. Only because he's right down the street from me. So close I think I smell the bluing salts when the winds just right. Lol
Old 03-23-2020, 07:18 PM

Ford's did stub their toe a couple of years ago.
Several Colt forum members sent in Pythons to be refinished, and one member asked for the stamps to be restored.

What they got back was beyond description.
The blue jobs looked like bars of soap.
Literally every sharp edge or corner was heavily rounded off, and the flats looked like a storm at sea.

The Python that had the stampings and the Colt pony refreshed looked like a kid had done it with an electric pencil, and very poorly at that.
All these Pythons were ruined and couldn't be saved they were so horribly bad.

Ford's apparently had hired a new worker and failed to check his workmanship before turning him loose on customer guns.
Since then they seem to have corrected the problem and have pretty much recovered their badly damaged reputation.
Old 03-24-2020, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pk409 View Post
Think Iím going with Fordís. They also offered me a 10% LEO discount.
be sure to let us know how it turned out
Old 03-24-2020, 09:35 AM

I thought about using Fords a few years ago for an S&W refinish based on the comments I found on the internet. But after going to their website and finding these two pics in their gallery, I decided against it. The nickel S&W looks to have had the frame and side plate polished separately (notice the poor fit), as was the Security Six (Huge mismatch between the trigger guard assembly and the frame). But otherwise, the finish itself on both guns looks great. I assume they've gotten better and some pics on the website look great. If I were them and things have improved, I would delete those two pics from the gallery.

Old 03-24-2020, 01:04 PM

I went and looked at my 1979 Python "Royal Blue". Even in areas without holster wear or stubborn soot, it is not that shiny.
Old 03-25-2020, 10:23 AM

Guns en route to Fords. The work order is very specific but I was told just note I want it restored to original factory finish. Look forward to getting it back.
Old 03-25-2020, 06:33 PM

Please post some photos when you get it back, with a review of the service.
Old 03-30-2020, 03:00 PM

I wouldn't screw with an original Python finish, no matter how bad it looks.