EB EVO question - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 03-21-2020, 09:04 PM

EB EVO question

Anyone change their EVO original front sight to fiber optic?
Old 03-22-2020, 02:24 PM

Brown is great with sight changes, last time I sent a slide in I had it back in 9 days and four of that was shipping (two days each way).

Do you have the orange sight on there now? Details man!! we are all bored to death
I'm a 1911 addict -- 9mm's: Volkmann Combat Carry, Ed Brown Kobra Carry, WC Sentinel Compact, WC ULCC, WC Bobtail Professional, WC EDC X9S, NH T4, NH Counselor, Staccato C and a G43 -- 38 Super's: WC Professional, WC Stealth, WC CQB Elite, DW CBOB, WC Sentinel Compact and a mid 70's Colt Commander (for a build, off to NH already)
Old 03-22-2020, 06:52 PM

My personal opinion is that most fibreoptic sights are unattractive. They make a nice gun like an Ed Brown look like a cap pistol. The exception is one made by Novak.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2020, 07:13 PM

With the Evo model you can change the front sight yourself. I think there are 5 or 6 to choose from. I prefer the orange night sight it came with.
Old 03-22-2020, 07:19 PM

I have the orange sight on my 9mm Kobra Carry and like it fine but the fibreoptic I can do without.
Old 03-23-2020, 08:30 PM

I thought I was the only one who didn’t like fiber optic sights! I agree, they look cheap to me. Perhaps the OP is looking for function over form.
Old 04-03-2020, 06:53 AM

I too, prefer the orange night sight to a fiber optic sight. The orange is easy (for me) to pick up. If I was going to change sights, it would be a 14kt gold bead, and black notched rear sight.

Click image for larger version

Name:	CECA931F-C759-4AAC-9542-A9D73626205E.jpeg
Views:	12
Size:	1.11 MB
ID:	579178
Old 04-03-2020, 04:32 PM

Yes, gold bead front sight is another favorite for me, too. Especially on the “classic” 1911s.
Old 04-06-2020, 10:19 AM

The HD-XR is a great choice for use in both light and dark and when combined with the .156" Tactical Edge U-Notch Rear Sight a fast and effective sight combination.
Old 04-07-2020, 05:08 PM

I have not really thanked the responders to my question regarding fiber optics but I do appreciate your thoughts. Today was quite slow at the Phoenix Rod and Gun Club ranges so I decided to compare the EVO to a DW Valor Commander by running a couple of IDPA classifier stages. The sun was high and bright which surely did not favor the EVO orange front sight. Not nearly as quick to find and center as the fiber on the Commander in bright sunlight. And the larger size of the orange front sight seemed to blend into either side of the black rear sight far more easily that the smaller fiber optic on the Commander. Consequently my times and accuracy were better with the Commander shooting 45APC. I also found that dropping the EVO empty magazine was very difficult compared to the Commander. I am going to assume that is due to the newness of the EVO. So, I am still looking for a fiber user for their EVO so I can get some actually user experience.
Old Yesterday, 08:56 PM

Orange sights have never agreed with my eyes, it is like they cannot define the edge of the color. Red or green no problem. Many years ago when I was mainly into revolvers, I always cussed the orange front sight insert of S&W revolvers even with younger eyes. Since it is not my EDC, I recently put my most loved front sight on my EVO, the gold bead.