Made a pancake holster for SAA. - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise


Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-21-2020, 03:41 PM
SFC Rick SFC Rick is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Texas
Age: 63
Posts: 1,171
Made a pancake holster for SAA.

Decided to spend some time here at home making a holster. Of course I already have many gunbelts and holsters for regular open carry. I wanted something for casual dress and thought this pancake style would be better suited for those occasions.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-21-2020, 04:33 PM
Sylvester12 Sylvester12 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 5
Nice job, looks really good. Seems like it took a bit though, how long did you spend on this project?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-21-2020, 05:57 PM
SFC Rick SFC Rick is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Texas
Age: 63
Posts: 1,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvester12 View Post
Nice job, looks really good. Seems like it took a bit though, how long did you spend on this project?
Couple of hours each day for 2 days or about maybe 4-5 hours total. Most of that time is just thinking on what I needed to do next...LOL! Drink coffee, get a fresh cup of coffee, rewarm the coffee, walk to the shop, go back to the house because I forgot something, then back to the shop, walk back to the house for coffee.

I'm retired now, and my regular job is drinking coffee nowadays.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old 03-21-2020, 06:02 PM
squirrelsnest squirrelsnest is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Alexandria, Va
Posts: 1,134
Looks real nice....Thanks for the pics.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-21-2020, 06:03 PM
Hawkeye fan Hawkeye fan is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Age: 40
Posts: 6,247
Very nice.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-22-2020, 03:29 AM
MayberryCoSAR MayberryCoSAR is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 1,566
That looks great!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-22-2020, 02:27 PM
fnfalman fnfalman is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Bullhead City, AZ, USA
Posts: 459
Looks awesome.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-22-2020, 02:51 PM
seagiant seagiant is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 342
Hi,
VERY nice!
I make belts, haven't made a holster yet!
Attached Thumbnails
zz4.JPG   a11.JPG  
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-22-2020, 05:07 PM
Frank Vaccaro Frank Vaccaro is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: S.W. Montana
Posts: 1,189
Nice looking holster, I'm a fan of pancake holsters.
__________________
U.S.A. RIDE FOR THE BRAND OR LEAVE!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-22-2020, 07:17 PM
SFC Rick SFC Rick is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Texas
Age: 63
Posts: 1,171
Thanks for all the compliments!
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 03-22-2020, 07:18 PM
SFC Rick SFC Rick is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Texas
Age: 63
Posts: 1,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by seagiant View Post
Hi,
VERY nice!
I make belts, haven't made a holster yet!
I'm very much in awe of a man that hand stitches belts!
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-23-2020, 02:50 AM
PBag PBag is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 214
Nice job Rick. Hand stitching belts is either a pain or labour of love
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03-23-2020, 07:36 AM
sat sat is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 318
Looks great!
__________________
A gun is no more dangerous than a bat in the hands of a madman.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 03-23-2020, 07:58 AM
seagiant seagiant is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBag View Post
Nice job Rick. Hand stitching belts is either a pain or labour of love
Hi,
This is true...Ha!
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 03-23-2020, 08:19 AM
Colt191145 Colt191145 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 747
Nice! I like how the back is raised to cover the hammer. I have a Mernickle holster for my USFA, I like your design better.

You should consider making a few for sale. There are not a lot of concealment holsters for single action revolvers available to choose from.

I know that most "experts" would laugh at me carrying my USFA .45 Colt as a CCW. Let them laugh, most of those "experts" carry a single stack 9mm or .380. I am confident that 5 rounds of 285gr .45 Colt will get my point across.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 03-23-2020, 08:44 AM
SFC Rick SFC Rick is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Texas
Age: 63
Posts: 1,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt191145 View Post
Nice! I like how the back is raised to cover the hammer. I have a Mernickle holster for my USFA, I like your design better.

You should consider making a few for sale. There are not a lot of concealment holsters for single action revolvers available to choose from.

I know that most "experts" would laugh at me carrying my USFA .45 Colt as a CCW. Let them laugh, most of those "experts" carry a single stack 9mm or .380. I am confident that 5 rounds of 285gr .45 Colt will get my point across.
If I had to make them, I would. But I'm not looking for a job. This is just a suggestion, but it's better to find a saddle shop near you and take your photo of what you want and have them knock one out for you.

My local saddle shop has been quite the inspiration and offers me excellent tips on my leather work over the few years of me learning. You should find one and visit it often and learn a bit about leatherwork.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 03-23-2020, 09:30 PM
Colt191145 Colt191145 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 747
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFC Rick View Post
If I had to make them, I would. But I'm not looking for a job. This is just a suggestion, but it's better to find a saddle shop near you and take your photo of what you want and have them knock one out for you.

My local saddle shop has been quite the inspiration and offers me excellent tips on my leather work over the few years of me learning. You should find one and visit it often and learn a bit about leatherwork.
I have a bunch of leathercraft tools that I inherited from my Grandfather. I made some wallets years ago, I have not dedicated the time to try and make a holster, maybe I will give it a try this summer if business slows down.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 03-25-2020, 07:35 PM
SFC Rick SFC Rick is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Texas
Age: 63
Posts: 1,171
Black....today's work.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:25 PM.


NOTICE TO USERS OF THIS SITE: By continuing to use this site, you certify that you have read and agree to abide by the Legal Terms of Use. All information, data, text or other materials ("Content") posted to this site by any users are the sole responsibility of those users. 1911Forum does not guarantee the accuracy, integrity, or quality of such Content.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2015 1911Forum.com, LLC. All Rights Reserved