Quality of the basic Ruger 1911? - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 02-28-2020, 11:36 PM

Quality of the basic Ruger 1911?

How is the quality of the basic Ruger 1911 with the 5" barrel these days? Say the ones made in the past couple of years. Also, how are they compared to ones made earlier in that model's history?
Old 02-29-2020, 08:55 AM

I got my model 6700 1911 like 3 years ago. I was impressed from the start with its basic build quality. Shoots and runs well. Never once had a feed problem. Not ammo-fussy. Ready to be used in a John Wick movie (lol). Its my a#1 home defense weapon.

What gave me more perspective on the Ruger was getting a Springfield Armory 9mm 1911 range officer with 5" barrel, which had lots of early feed problems and seems covered in sharp edges and corners. After about 400 rounds, it finally runs well on 124gr ammo, but the sharp edges make it "hurt" to use.

I agree with earlier comments about 9mm in a full size 1911 seeming kind of wonky. The RO is very accurate, but it just feels funny in action.

I believe I paid 749 for the ruger and like 815 for the SA. Ruger 6700 1911 has always felt like a bargain to me.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk
Old 03-01-2020, 02:12 PM

Canít say the 5Ē but I have had a commander length for about 3 years and put 2k+ rounds through it and the only issues were from mags. Carried it for awhile as a duty gun and now it is my go to carry/ranch gun. A little sloppy in the slide but it cycles everything I put in it, including CCI crimped shot shell. Have shot it out to 75 yards once or twice and hit a 12Ē target 3 times out of 3 shots.

Our departmentís armorer at the time actually went out and bought one and loves it as well. Got mine on sale for $399 when they were around $600. I still have not changed any parts.

I have had more problems with my Kimber TLE 2 than my Ruger. Have been looking at the 5Ē in 10mm to replace my Glock 20 due to the reliability of my Ruger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2020, 01:12 AM

I have both the CMD bought new and the 5” SR1911 bought used with a low round count. Both are good guns out of the box. I made some changes to mine which made them better guns. Ruger is one of the 1911’s I suggest when someone inquires about purchasing a 1911.
The modern production 1911 - high visibility sights, beavertail grip safety, aluminum trigger, good trigger pull, enhanced slide/ frame fit, accurized barrel/bushing fit. If itís not a Kimber, itís a copy.
Old 03-02-2020, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsitgm View Post

I agree with earlier comments about 9mm in a full size 1911 seeming kind of wonky. The RO is very accurate, but it just feels funny in action.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk
I don't really agree with this. My Stainless Target II Kimber is my favorite 1911. I especially like the lower power recoil spring, easier to rack the slide, and less recoil in shooting. I know that 9 mm sounds out of character for a 1911, but the shooting experience for me is a totally positive thing.
Old 03-03-2020, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxrider512 View Post
I have had more problems with my Kimber TLE 2 than my Ruger. Have been looking at the 5Ē in 10mm to replace my Glock 20 due to the reliability of my Ruger...
Do research before purchasing the 10mm. The 1911 was designed around the .45 and one can't assume the 10mm will be as reliable. A person may be better off with a Glock in 10mm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wproct View Post
I don't really agree with this. My Stainless Target II Kimber is my favorite 1911. I especially like the lower power recoil spring, easier to rack the slide, and less recoil in shooting. I know that 9 mm sounds out of character for a 1911, but the shooting experience for me is a totally positive thing.
I say that's what matters.
Old 03-03-2020, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacebutready View Post
Do research before purchasing the 10mm. The 1911 was designed around the .45 and one can't assume the 10mm will be as reliable. A person may be better off with a Glock in 10mm.

Mine is pleasant to shoot and I love it. Was not overly impressed out of the box. My front sight fell out after 50 rounds and my rear sight was way off. While Kimber did make the front sight issue right as soon as I called, I have had a few issues. None that turn me off of it. I mean it is my duty gun and my go to carry gun off duty.

It is just that for the price of my Ruger and the quality, it is a very solid gun. The only issue I have with it are that the thumb safety is a little rough and that it occasionally has feed issues. The feed issues are usually my magazine after a day of shooting in a field. I recommend Ruger to people looking for a quality budget friendly 1911.

Old 03-04-2020, 05:45 PM

I bought a couple back in the fall of 2012. The function of both was fine but shooting them over bags at 25 yards one was better with the ammo I tried. I ended up trading the less good one to a friend and put eagle wings grips on the nicer one I still have.

There was babble on the intergoogle about the front sights breaking off so I ordered a a couple new ones off shopruger.com back in the day for about $6 each. Never had problems with the front sight on either pistol. My friend told me his front sight is still on there a few months ago.

Then I bought a CMD in Jan 2013 which is on top and a Night Watchman CMD in 2014 which is in the middle. On the bottom is a CMD-LW I bought in 2015.

I did look at all of these before I bought them. In fact in 2014 the LGS also had a Night Watchman in 5 inch and the fit and finish on the CMD one was much better. Would not have bought the 5 inch one. I got the stocks on my original CMD off shopruger.com and Ruger called them Delta grips back when they sold them. I told myself that if Ruger every came out with a 10mm I would have to put them on it. In the fall of 2017 I bought a SR1911-10 and those stocks went on it. Another nice pistol for me but there are stories on the intergoogle about the barrel lug cracking on the 10mm. Maybe the next time I shoot it. Maybe never.

Old 03-04-2020, 06:26 PM

I have a SR1911 purchased in 2014. 7500 rounds.
Recently replaced the recoil spring with a stock Ruger part for 2.75
Very reliable with occasional feed issues.
Great pistol.
I am intrigued by reports of the front sight breaking off

That never happened with mine.

Boom boom boom!
Hi Standard Sentinel Deluxe
S&W Model 19
Old 03-04-2020, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxrider512 View Post
Mine is pleasant to shoot and I love it. Was not overly impressed out of the box. My front sight fell out after 50 rounds and my rear sight was way off. While Kimber did make the front sight issue right as soon as I called, I have had a few issues. None that turn me off of it. I mean it is my duty gun and my go to carry gun off duty.

It is just that for the price of my Ruger and the quality, it is a very solid gun. The only issue I have with it are that the thumb safety is a little rough and that it occasionally has feed issues. The feed issues are usually my magazine after a day of shooting in a field. I recommend Ruger to people looking for a quality budget friendly 1911.

It is great you enjoy shooting it but please note Kimber doesn't have the best reputation around here. How many trouble-free rounds have been through it using your carry ammo? I say there should be at least 100, preferably 200 rounds before relying on it for duty or protection.

Regarding feed issues after a day shooting, it likely isn't magazine related. If you shoot many rounds in a session, then it begins to jam, the pistol may just need some lube. How many rounds do you put through it before you get the failure to feed jams?
Old 03-04-2020, 08:06 PM

Quote:
It is great you enjoy shooting it but please note Kimber doesn't have the best reputation around here. How many trouble-free rounds have been through it using your carry ammo? I say there should be at least 100, preferably 200 rounds before relying on it for duty or protection.

Regarding feed issues after a day shooting, it likely isn't magazine related. If you shoot many rounds in a session, then it begins to jam, the pistol may just need some lube. How many rounds do you put through it before you get the failure to feed jams?

I have 5-600 carry rounds through it and I put 600 through it in one session at the academy. Only had 3 malfunctions. I keep it lubed every week or so and have no issues with it lately. We all stopped and sprayed our guns down, even the Glocks needed some lube to run that day.

My Ruger, I can run that dry and in the dust and it goes bang. I have a 10 round mag that the Ruger dislikes for some reason though.

Old 03-25-2020, 09:45 PM

Quote:
I have a Ruger SR1911 in 10mm, I sold a G20 that I've had since 1992 to buy it. I never had a failure to feed or any other malfunction from the Glock; it was as reliable as your favorite hunting dog. But it had no personality at all. It's the Honda Civic of firearms (Glock in general).

The Ruger, so far, has run perfectly. I've put about 350 rounds through it so far, it feeds smoothly, the magazine releases quickly and locks in easily, both maybe better than the G20. It's beautifully machined and is tighter than Dick's hatband, but no binding at all. I expected a well-designed and built pistol when I got it, I have three other Ruger pistols.

Ruger did its homework when they designed the 10mm version of their SR1911. The recoil spring is heavier, and as a result it is harder to rack the slide, but it also tames the recoil of the powerful cartridge to the point that felt recoil is just barely more than a .45 (and I also own a .45 1911 for comparison). I would compare the difference as similar to firing a .38Spl +P and then a moderately loaded .357 Magnum. They did veer off the traditional barrel bushing/short control rod design and go with a bull barrel/no bushing, and full length control rod, but it seems to work well to help control recoil. I find it is also quicker to field strip than my .45 (a Springfield A1), there's no bushing to have to twist and turn, but you do need a tool (paper clip works perfectly) to trap the recoil spring on the control rod. I wasn't sure whether I'd like the full-length rod, but after the couple of months owning and shooting The Ruger, have no issues with it.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC01333.JPG   DSC01337.JPG