Best looking rollmarks? - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 02-07-2020, 08:45 PM

Best looking rollmarks?

We often argue about things like fit, finish, reliability, accuracy, and durability here. But I think we should discuss the most vain things that influence our buying decisions, the rollmark. What are our favorite rollmarks? For me it's Colt (all time periods), Bushmaster, Costa Mesa era Armalite, the old FNH rollmarks and Sabre Defense.
Old 02-07-2020, 09:40 PM

If it's not a gremlin getting ready to toss a pile of poo, I'm not interested.

Seriously though, I am not real hung up on the roll mark. I guess if I had to pick a favorite, it would be the Colt pony.
1911forum member #7
ACCEPT NOTHING LESS THAN FULL VICTORY!"
General Dwight D. Eisenhower June 6, 1944
Old 02-07-2020, 09:48 PM

LWRC and Colt for me
Carry gun:Wilson Carry Comp Custom .45S Pocket carry:on loan Other 1911s:WC Supergrade Accucomp .38, WC BW Opticomp, WC CQB Compact, WC CQB Professional, WC Super Sentinel, WC CQB Elite 9mm, WC EDC X9, WC X9S, Ed Brown SR, NHC Predator II Opticomp, NHC T3 Hardchrome, Kimber Ultra, ATI Tactical, RIA Tactical 10mm, Kimber Ultra Diamond 9mm, Detonics Combat Master MKVI, Colt Centennial .460 Roland
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2020, 10:18 PM

Colt is good for sure.

I am kind of liking the Noveske Celtic cross logo as well.
Old 02-07-2020, 10:37 PM
Administrator

Rollmarks on a 1911 are extremely important to me, but on an AR I couldn't care less as long as they're not loud and obnoxious. I mostly dislike the ones that are pressed very deep using ridiculously thick lettering.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 02-07-2020, 10:59 PM

Kac
Old 02-08-2020, 06:06 AM

A good roll mark matters to me. It reflects quality or attention to detail.
KAC, Noveske, DD, HK, Colt, all good.
Old 02-08-2020, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plantar5 View Post
A good roll mark matters to me. It reflects quality or attention to detail.
KAC, Noveske, DD, HK, Colt, all good.
This is true for factory built rifles, but many companies (even Colt for a very brief period) have sold lowers by themselves. It is good to inspect used guns very carefully for this reason. It doesn't help that there are Colt Expanse rifles in the wild that dishonest sellers try to pass off as 6920s, and price them as if they really were.
Old 02-08-2020, 06:59 AM

I always thought the Spikes Tactical spider roll mark was pretty cool. But my recently acquired USAutoweapons USM4 special forces logo roll mark is pretty cool too.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_9385.jpg  
Old 02-08-2020, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FNHipowerluv View Post
This is true for factory built rifles, but many companies (even Colt for a very brief period) have sold lowers by themselves. It is good to inspect used guns very carefully for this reason. It doesn't help that there are Colt Expanse rifles in the wild that dishonest sellers try to pass off as 6920s, and price them as if they really were.
Good point. I built one of my Noveske’s, and their roll marks are the same quality, but I’d never try and pass it off as a factory built gun, but thats me.
Old 02-08-2020, 07:15 AM

Not trying to hijack the thread, but what exactly is a "roll mark"? I alresdy know that it's most likely a stupid question.
Old 02-08-2020, 08:24 AM

This one, for the history behind it

Old 02-08-2020, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911Pistolero View Post
Not trying to hijack the thread, but what exactly is a "roll mark"? I alresdy know that it's most likely a stupid question.
Rollmark in this case is being used in a generic sense for the markings on a specific manufacturers receiver. Colt uses/used a roll die to mark their 1911's and AR's but now uses other methods as well. Most manufacturers use more modern methods of marking, (Lazer, machine engraving, stamping, etc) but its easy to just use "Rollmark" to describe them all. Right or wrong most of us knew what the OP was referring to.
Old 02-08-2020, 08:55 AM

To expound on your question, the images provided show rollmarks on ARs, they are traditionally on the left side of the magazine well. They contain the manufacturers name, the model number and caliber of the rifle, and a manufactures image or logo, usually trademarked.
On 1911s, the slide will often have rollmarks, usually a manufacturers trademark or stylized name. What appropriate rollmarks are, and when they become too much, is an oft debated subject....
Ruger was know for having paragraphs of legal disclaimers stamped on the barrels of some pistols....
I must study politics and war, that our sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy. Our sons ought to study mathematics and philosophy, geography, natural history and naval architecture, navigation, commerce and agriculture in order to give their children a right to study painting, poetry, music, architecture, statuary, tapestry and porcelain. ~ John Adams
Old 02-08-2020, 09:11 AM

Thanks, guys. Understood now.
Old 02-08-2020, 07:13 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wccountryboy View Post
Ruger was know for having paragraphs of legal disclaimers stamped on the barrels of some pistols....
Back when I had a Ruger Mark II .22 I'd sometimes take it to the can with me just to have something to read.

Seriously, one of the reasons why I try to seek out older versions of some guns is because of the lack of legal BS stamped all over them. Early Beretta 92FS pistols were very eye-pleasing until they started plastering all sorts of warnings all over them. I'm glad that (so far) Colt has avoided that sort of garbage, preferring instead to simply put a hang tag on their new guns with all the safety warning crap on it.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 02-08-2020, 07:19 PM
Administrator

Getting back on subject, I admit I was attracted to the rollmark on this Rock Island/Sendra M16A1 clone I bought several years ago. I never knew RIA was ever in the AR business, but apparently they were back in the pre-AWB days. I gotta admit though, .556 mm is a pretty small caliber to be shooting out of an AR.

Old 02-08-2020, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
Getting back on subject, I admit I was attracted to the rollmark on this Rock Island/Sendra M16A1 clone I bought several years ago. I never knew RIA was ever in the AR business, but apparently they were back in the pre-AWB days. I gotta admit though, .556 mm is a pretty small caliber to be shooting out of an AR.
LOL, not to mention hard to even see. That cartridge must really be necked down...
Old 02-08-2020, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-Peltier View Post
But my recently acquired USAutoweapons USM4 special forces logo roll mark is pretty cool too.
I dig that rollmark.
Old 02-08-2020, 08:10 PM

Quote:
I always thought the Spikes Tactical spider roll mark was pretty cool. But my recently acquired USAutoweapons USM4 special forces logo roll mark is pretty cool too.
Uhg... that crest is earned, it ought not be a marketing gimmick...
I must study politics and war, that our sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy. Our sons ought to study mathematics and philosophy, geography, natural history and naval architecture, navigation, commerce and agriculture in order to give their children a right to study painting, poetry, music, architecture, statuary, tapestry and porcelain. ~ John Adams
Old 02-08-2020, 10:16 PM

I have to agree with wccountryboy.
Old 02-08-2020, 10:51 PM

I think Aero Precision has a pretty nice looking rollmark. Armalite was always one of my favorites as well. I will say that all but one of my AR15's these days have no rollmark, no s/n, not a mark on them.

Last edited by K0025xx; 02-08-2020 at 10:54 PM.
Old 02-09-2020, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wccountryboy View Post
Uhg... that crest is earned, it ought not be a marketing gimmick...
I hear what your saying, but its not like an individual award like the Special Forces or Ranger tabs or other individual awards. DUI's are a commonly collected item by many Military buffs, be they Civilians or Military. Heck the Military actually pays the Institute of heraldry to research the availability of the requested crests. They are purely ornamental, and not an award of any kind. My step Dad who is retired Special Forces had no problem with that logo on the receiver. In fact, He is very old school and never shared much enthusiasm for the AR15, but he really seemed to take a shine to this one. Lol...Hell just have to wait for Christmas.

Also, when the company that made this was in business, this was a special run from what I understand and a percentage of the profits went to some warrior foundation. I think that sort of "Marketing gimmick" is a good cause. I had a Ruger 1911 that donated money similarly to the Navy Seal foundation. Good intentions by companies for the benefit of our great service men and women.

Last edited by M-Peltier; 02-09-2020 at 07:43 AM.
Old 02-09-2020, 08:15 AM

Never really paid that much attention. Well that is except for Ruger. Luv some of their guns but that legal crap can get to be a bit much. Anyway haven't been buying them very long but thanks to forums such as this I now have one more thing I have to pay attention too. LOL
Old 02-09-2020, 12:54 PM

Quote:

I hear what your saying, but its not like an individual award like the Special Forces or Ranger tabs or other individual awards. DUI's are a commonly collected item by many Military buffs, be they Civilians or Military. Heck the Military actually pays the Institute of heraldry to research the availability of the requested crests. They are purely ornamental, and not an award of any kind. My step Dad who is retired Special Forces had no problem with that logo on the receiver. In fact, He is very old school and never shared much enthusiasm for the AR15, but he really seemed to take a shine to this one. Lol...Hell just have to wait for Christmas.

Also, when the company that made this was in business, this was a special run from what I understand and a percentage of the profits went to some warrior foundation. I think that sort of "Marketing gimmick" is a good cause. I had a Ruger 1911 that donated money similarly to the Navy Seal foundation. Good intentions by companies for the benefit of our great service men and women.
I understand that DUIs aren't "earned", however, they mean something to the men who wear them, particularly within the top tiers of the profession of arms. They are not mere "ornaments" of pot metal and enamel.
I don't doubt you're dad appreciated owning it, as a retired 18-series. What, if anything, did he think about it being mass marketed? Its 2020, engraving is cheap. If I want such a thing that's representative of my service, I can find a dozen people within a 30 mile radius (only that far because I live in a rural county somewhat removed from the FT Bragg/metro area) to facilitate my desire.
I still don't like the mass use of military heraldry for commercial purposes. Regardless of "donations", it was still a for profit endeavor. If a business wants to support military/ veterans organizations- great! They don't need to create a "special" run of product poaching military insignia.