1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 01-11-2020, 08:39 AM

Considering a Stinger

Anyone carrying a Stinger .45?

How do you like it, reliable, anyone know the weight?

I am set on the 4.25" barrel length and officer frame, Baers and Springfields fit my hand better than others, trying to decide if the Stinger is worth the upgrade from say a Springer RO Compact.

Thanks for any replies.

Last edited by Tenring1911; 01-11-2020 at 09:21 AM.
Old 01-11-2020, 09:32 AM

I will just say do some research before buying.
Old 01-11-2020, 10:39 AM

Yes, it's definitely worth the upgrade over the RO. I've owned two of them, a standard .45 Stinger and a 2003 Lightweight Stinger. I continue to kick myself for ever letting the Lightweight go. Both guns carry very easily, but the Lightweight carried like a dream. Of course, the trade off was that it also had more recoil.

If I was in the market for a Stinger today, I'd probably only look at .38 Super- less recoil and more capacity. As it is, these days when I carry a CCO-sized gun, it's my STI Staccato C 9mm.
NRA Certified Instructor- Pistol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2020, 02:35 PM

I have a Stinger in 45ACP and it is one of my favorite pistols. I use it for target shooting and also I carry it in the cooler months when I have a jacket for cover. It is as reliable and as accurate as any of my full size 1911's. I have average size hands and the grip fits me perfectly, the shorter slide and grip look like a scaled down 5" model and to me looks better than the Commander models.
The only small negative is during a range trip of 400 rounds, you will get a couple of emptied to the face and a few more close calls. The other 98% of the empties eject mostly to 3 or 4 o'clock.
Old 01-11-2020, 03:30 PM

I have a hard chromed Stinger and it is shockingly accurate. I've never put it in a Ransom rest but I have the feeling it could shoot 1 hole groups at 25 yds. It is phenomenal.

Can't tell you what it weighs......you might check Baers website as he usually has the weights listed.
Old 01-11-2020, 08:07 PM

Love the Stinger. Have one and it carries very well.
Old 01-12-2020, 05:33 AM

One of my favorite, extremely reliable, carry pieces. The Les Baer Stinger (45 ACP) is the consummate carry piece. No disappointments!

Click image for larger version

Name:	06FB1836-E417-4F5C-BC5A-337D83DDA515.jpeg
Views:	47
Size:	276.6 KB
ID:	571886

Click image for larger version

Name:	16A193B4-318C-401D-BAF2-59B8C0EBAA93.jpeg
Views:	39
Size:	251.4 KB
ID:	571888
Old 01-12-2020, 06:17 AM

As much as I have owned a bunch of Baers, I don't like how he does his smaller guns.
He cuts the dust cover down to commander slide length and leaves the rails at full size length.
So I have see reports of people not being able to sling shot the slide and Ejectors getting peened.

For my money I would go the extra money and order a Nighthawk T3
Give Bob Reeves a call. He will take care of everything and answer every question you have.
Any issues come up , you call and Bob Reeves will answer the phone, not the 8 idiots that other compinies have answering their service calls.
Old 01-12-2020, 09:58 AM

I agree with Totally Tactical. I did not care my gun would not slingshot but mine had feeding problems. I could not get through a single magazine of factory ball without some sort of jam. The factory said keep shooting it and it would fix itself. A local smith said the gun was short stroking and he did not feel he had the skills to fix it. I sent the gun to Ken Crawley Custom and he machined the frame to a true Commander Spec. and gun ran like a sewing machine. With that said most of them seem to run fine but mine did not. I would buy a 5 inch again but not a 4.25 inch. I offered to pay the factory for the frame machined and they would not do it. As Totally Tactical pointed out my ejector was getting peened as well as the slide stop notch. Both were cleaned up by Crawley Custom and problem never came back.

Last edited by buyamerican; 01-12-2020 at 10:03 AM. Reason: add comment
Old 01-12-2020, 05:02 PM

I somewhat understand the short stoking that is being described and always wondered about my TRS Commanche it just does not "feel" right. When new it would not slingshot, but after a few years began to. I will check the ejector/slide stop for any issues. Seems to shoot fine with no major issues, but I can tell it just does not feel right.

Might have someone, maybe Ken Crawley Custom take a look at it, ill see if I can locate them.

Thank you everyone for the info, I wont be considering a Stinger for this 1911 purchase.
Old 01-13-2020, 02:18 PM

Not sure Ken Crawley is still in business. Health issues may be not sure. He did a great job and I could not tell anything had been done other than it worked. If yours is working Iwould not worry about it.
Old 01-13-2020, 02:27 PM

I have had a Stinger for several years and love it. In fact, I shoot it more accurately than my 5” TRS. As others have mentioned, mine will not slingshot, but I have gotten used to that and it’s not a problem.
Old 01-13-2020, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buyamerican View Post
I agree with Totally Tactical. I did not care my gun would not slingshot but mine had feeding problems. I could not get through a single magazine of factory ball without some sort of jam. The factory said keep shooting it and it would fix itself. A local smith said the gun was short stroking and he did not feel he had the skills to fix it. I sent the gun to Ken Crawley Custom and he machined the frame to a true Commander Spec. and gun ran like a sewing machine. With that said most of them seem to run fine but mine did not. I would buy a 5 inch again but not a 4.25 inch. I offered to pay the factory for the frame machined and they would not do it. As Totally Tactical pointed out my ejector was getting peened as well as the slide stop notch. Both were cleaned up by Crawley Custom and problem never came back.
I've heard and read about this issue. My gun will slingshot despite my never using that method to chamber a round.
Old 01-26-2020, 05:39 AM

Although I was trained to chamber a round using the slide stop, my LB Stinger slingshots just fine. The Stinger (45 ACP) is a great carry option!
Old 02-02-2020, 05:34 PM

Update on my comment of 1/13/20. I just started having issues with slide locking back on empty magazine. I sent the gun to LB. I’ll report when I get it back.
Old 02-02-2020, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buyamerican View Post
Not sure Ken Crawley is still in business. Health issues may be not sure. He did a great job and I could not tell anything had been done other than it worked. If yours is working Iwould not worry about it.
Ken did some work for me about two years ago. He was still going strong.
I can highly recommend him.
Beruisis
Old 02-23-2020, 06:41 PM

Referencing my post on 2/2/20, l sent my Stinger to LB and received it back last Monday. They fitted and replaced a new slide release and replaced the recoil spring all at no charge. I have taken it to the range 3 times now and it performs great. No issues. I am very happy with the results. My thanks to Les Baer.
Old 02-29-2020, 03:57 PM

Glad to hear it RPH.

Update on my TRS Commanche:
Ask a local smith to inspect the whole firearm, check it out and see if he could figure out the short stroking feel. Everything checked fine, cycling the firearm I could tell it felt different, the slide would slide back further. I ask what did you do, he smiled and replied oh it had a bur. I was like puzzled but excited. Got home, dissembled the firearm and he had drilled/cut an area leaving a bowtie into the back of the frame. I have see pictures of this as a fix before.

Have ran about 1000 rounds through it since and feels great, like a 1911 should.
Old 02-29-2020, 09:52 PM

This thread keeps haunting me. So, I'm having a 38S Stinger built right now. Blued, strong side safety only, match trigger, green fiber front sight and plain black rear. Courtesy of CJ...
NRA Certified Instructor- Pistol

Last edited by IANative; 02-29-2020 at 10:06 PM.
Old 03-08-2020, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IANative View Post
This thread keeps haunting me. So, I'm having a 38S Stinger built right now. Blued, strong side safety only, match trigger, green fiber front sight and plain black rear. Courtesy of CJ...
Great choice! Can’t wait to see some pictures of your Super Stinger! My first Baer was a Stinger in 45 ACP. I’m now considering a second Stinger in 38 Super.
Old 03-25-2020, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IANative View Post
That sounds great.

I recently added a PM-C and like that size.

A .38Super blued Stinger sounds excellent!!!!!!
Old 03-27-2020, 10:07 PM

I bought my first Baer, a Custom Carry Comanche, from CJ in 2011.

It wouldn’t slingshot, but, based on what I’d read, I didn’t expect it to.

The gun was scary accurate, and never had a single malfunction from the first round fired. About three years ago, I was able to slingshot the slide. Whether it ever did or not; I’ll never let this one go.

I guess good things come to those who wait...
Attached Thumbnails
063CF2A6-7D24-46E3-8B1C-9EABBB4F9B2D.jpeg  

Rick
http://www.guntipsandtalk.com/
IDPA Certified Safety Officer
Old 03-28-2020, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick McC. View Post
I bought my first Baer, a Custom Carry Comanche, from CJ in 2011.

It wouldn’t slingshot, but, based on what I’d read, I didn’t expect it to.

The gun was scary accurate, and never had a single malfunction from the first round fired. About three years ago, I was able to slingshot the slide. Whether it ever did or not; I’ll never let this one go.

I guess good things come to those who wait...
That has so much character to it. Great looking firearm.
Old 03-28-2020, 07:35 PM

I used my Stinger in a 200 round qualification last weekend. I am amazed at its accuracy and ran flawlessly as expected.