Coonan .357 Mag 1911 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 08-31-2014, 07:43 PM

Coonan .357 Mag 1911

I'm a range officer at a large club so I've seen and shot just about everything.

Yesterday was a new one for me. Guy comes over and asks if I'd like to see his new 1911. Always curious I took a look. It said "Coonan 357 Mag" on the slide. The gun looked like a 1911 but I'm sure there were plenty of internal differences.

It was a single stack and I was a bit surprised that you could cram a full length 357 into a 1911. Heck I had enough trouble getting my National Match 38 special to run reliably.

When offered to shoot it I said of course and the guy gave me a magazine with 5 rounds (all we're allowed to shoot at our club). It felt like a 1911 but the trigger pull was stout and was the recoil. Even more surprisingly was it ran flawlessly and all shots were in the black despite the heavy trigger.

Just curious if anyone has seen one and what are the differences between a Coonan an a conventional 1911.
Old 08-31-2014, 08:24 PM

"If you're looking for you first gun, this isn't it". Nice slogan, huh? I'd love to have one but $1500 for what would just be a toy means I probably never will. They have an interesting website.

joe

Read Ayn Rand
Old 08-31-2014, 08:39 PM

Coonan pistols are loosely based on the 1911 design, but no part interchange, I believe.

Member kurmudgon used to work for Coonan and can probably answer any question you might have. I sent him a PM to please weigh in on this thread.

See https://forums.1911forum.com/showthre...ghlight=coonan

https://forums.1911forum.com/showthre...ghlight=coonan

Last edited by subscriber; 08-31-2014 at 08:41 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2014, 06:50 PM

I have a Coonan and it's one of my favorites. I know there are at least a dozen parts that will interchange, maybe more.

Last edited by lazyluke; 09-01-2014 at 06:52 PM.
Old 09-01-2014, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazyluke View Post
I have a Coonan and it's one of my favorites. I know there are at least a dozen parts that will interchange, maybe more.
Can you name any common parts? I would guys slide stop, but can't think of anything else that might fit a standard 1911.
Old 09-01-2014, 07:56 PM

Hammer, sear, disconnector, mag catch, hammer pin, sear pin........
Old 09-01-2014, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBBBill View Post
Hammer, sear, disconnector, mag catch, hammer pin, sear pin........
Thanks, I guess I was not thinking very hard.
Old 09-02-2014, 09:27 PM

I replaced the thumb safety on mine. Also the muzzle bushing.
The Model A has been around since 1981. It had a swinging link like a typical 1911. The Model B was developed several years later and has a cam type lockup since it was more durable. The company has been in and out of business a couple times since.

I got one because at the time it was the easiest to get of the Coonan, Desert Eagle, or Grizzly. Mine was fun to shoot and pretty reliable but the small parts were shoddily made at that time. Luckily the parts that kept breaking, the bushing and safety are regular 1911 compatible. It was loud as hell and unlike the Desert Eagle, it had no gas system or cylinder gap like a revolver to rob energy. I actually used it for IPSC for a while. I don't shoot it much these days for fear of part breakage, though I think the current company does make some parts for the older Model B's.
Old 09-04-2014, 09:56 PM

Check out the FAQ's on Coonan's website for a list.
Old 09-08-2014, 10:18 AM

I put a lighter recoil spring in my Coonan and shoot .38 special round nose. Great fun, pretty accurate, and lots of interest at the range.