1911Forum banner

Sig Ultra 1911 automatic fire problem

3K views 27 replies 14 participants last post by  MalC 
#1 ·
Out of the box my new sig rattled off a 3 round burst first trigger pull. The pistol will consistently empty the magazine when you choose to do so. If you let off the trigger, it stops. Fires perfectly and predictably with a normal pull. Three out of three people that have tried have been able to get the pistol to fire like this. Takes a very soft trigger pull. It IS NOT bump firing. 350 rounds went through gun without a single failure. Damn good gun and straight shooting besides the fully auto thing. Sending to Sig, but what the heck? Brand new in the box. If I would have been at the local public range, I'd be in prison. Also there is a lot of play up and down with the trigger. Anyone had this happen to them? Gun is a 3.25" Sig Ultra two tone 1911

#5 ·
Out of the box my new sig rattled off a 3 round burst first trigger pull. The pistol will consistently empty the magazine when you choose to do so. If you let off the trigger, it stops. Fires perfectly and predictably with a normal pull. Three out of three people that have tried have been able to get the pistol to fire like this. Takes a very soft trigger pull. It IS NOT bump firing. 350 rounds went through gun without a single failure.
Good on you for sending it back to Sig. That said:

1) It most certainly did fail. Catastrophically.

2) WHAT THE HELL WERE YOU THINKING putting 350 rounds through that pistol? hopefully you were the only one around.

#7 ·
It was fun while it lasted

It is a good thing I made it out in one piece. Did I mention it was a lot of fun!!! Pretty challenging to keep all 7 on paper with it. And yes, I was on private property, assuming my own risk. It's not everyday you buy something so wrong, so right........... God bless America

#12 ·
This condition is not unheard of in guns that have been altered but this is the first instance, and if I understand correctly the second I have heard of out of the box. This is something any manufacturer will be wanting to correct.

#23 ·
.......... It IS NOT bump firing. ....

...It most certainly is. Thats the only way a 1911 will fire like this. You are an accident waiting to happen continuing down this path. The least that will happen is you get hurt. The worst is that one of your fun buddies gets hurt or killed.

#24 ·
CWARNER
You must read on. Pistol was sent to Sig immediately following. It's sometimes fun to talk about the situations you survived. You make it sound like we had a free for all zombie shoot. Thanks for the safety tip. Depends on what you consider bump firing. The gun itself or the operator? I doubt Sig will say what was wrong.

#27 ·
350 rnds with an unsafe gun, and sharing it with your friends...thats not immediate.

HOWEVER, glad you guys survived. Your gun was clearly bump firing, probably originating from the overtravel screw to the hammer sear interface.

;)
Mag after mag for 350 rounds is not just stupid,it's beyond stupid. Refusing to believe it wasn't bump firing is mere ignorance.

#28 ·
Couldn't firing 350 rounds on full-auto wreak havoc on the barrel? I was under the impression that full-auto firearms have barrels that are designed to take that kind of beating... and they still crap out pretty quickly under full-auto fire. Can a 1911 barrel take that kind of punishment?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.