I want my trigger a bit lighter - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 11-04-2010, 06:30 PM

I want my trigger a bit lighter

It's not that bad, very short travel, but it breaks at about 5 lbs. I would like it to break at about 3&1/2 lbs.

Is there a way I can do this myself, or should I get a smith to do it? I have a dremel, so I can polish, even remove some metal, but I don't want to bugger anything up.

What do you suggest?
Old 11-04-2010, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alden2 View Post
It's not that bad, very short travel, but it breaks at about 5 lbs. I would like it to break at about 3&1/2 lbs.

Is there a way I can do this myself, or should I get a smith to do it? I have a dremel, so I can polish, even remove some metal, but I don't want to bugger anything up.

What do you suggest?
I am admittedly not a gunsmith, nor have I ever played one on TV or introduced myself AS one at parties to pick up hot babes but, with that being said...

If you have to ASK yourself whether or not you can do a trigger job without buggering things all to hell, you need to immediately put DOWN the Dremel tool, step back, and call a professional. Do not approach the Dremel tool, do not antagonize the Dremel tool.
Old 11-04-2010, 06:48 PM

Lol!

That's what I thought.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2010, 06:59 PM

PUT DOWN THE DREMEL!!!

with that being said, you can do it, but you need to buy stones, a sear jig, file and probably a new sear and hammer (just in case you mess it up)

you could also take it to a smith, or buy a C&S drop-in trigger kit.
Old 11-04-2010, 07:02 PM

C&S?

Brownell's?
Old 11-04-2010, 07:03 PM

I was thinking the same thing. You shouldn't NEED a Dremel to lighten up a trigger pull.

Ask me how I know?!?

Kidding.

I suggest you send it to someone. Trigger jobs aren't that expensive.

Regards,
Greyson
Old 11-04-2010, 07:08 PM

Any suggestions on who to send it to?

Also, about how much is not that much?
Old 11-04-2010, 07:11 PM

I am just a gun tinkerer but a cautious one. I've used a couple of do-it-yourself Cylinder & Slide trigger kits and they are excellent for my purposes. Good luck.
Old 11-04-2010, 07:13 PM

Like this? My gun is not a Colt Series 80.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=5..._REDUCTION_KIT

Or this? It doesn't say if it lightens the trigger in the description, but I imagine it does.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=2...IGGER_PULL_SET
Old 11-04-2010, 07:15 PM

Have it done!!
You can do it your self, but to do it right it will cost a lot more than sending it out. I know, my first one cost a LOT more than the gun I started with. Actually I am still paying for it, I am now at about $12,000 and counting. It is an addition. Mill, lathe, surface grinder, shop addition, all the tooling, state licensee’s permits, miscellaneous tooling, jigs, fixtures. I will stop there, as this is getting depressing. Bottom line send it out.
Keith
Old 11-04-2010, 07:17 PM

Thanks Keith. How bout I send it back to you and let you do it!

Lol!
Old 11-04-2010, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy1 View Post
Have it done!!
You can do it your self, but to do it right it will cost a lot more than sending it out. I know, my first one cost a LOT more than the gun I started with. Actually I am still paying for it, I am now at about $12,000 and counting. It is an addition. Mill, lathe, surface grinder, shop addition, all the tooling, state licensee’s permits, miscellaneous tooling, jigs, fixtures. I will stop there, as this is getting depressing. Bottom line send it out.
Keith
Hey, Keith! what kind of mill do you have?

Been a while. Hope all is well?

Regards,
Greyson
Old 11-04-2010, 08:10 PM

This is it.
Bridgeport J head. Manual, but I can work with it.

Alden2, I would, but I think you should be able to find someone closer to you for the work. I should have asked before I sent it your way the first time. That after the fact really sucks, that is how my life goes anyway.

Grayson: Judy and I have been thinking about TDI, doing the team tactics sometime this coming summer. We hope all is well with you, and I enjoy reading your posts here and on the Ed Brown forum. If you get that decked out Ed Brown will the guys make fun of you for such a fancy tool? Tell John we say HI, and I we will be looking for you guys at shot this year.
I also added a picture of my pet deer last winter. I know it does not have anything to do with this subject, but I like it.
Keith
Attached Thumbnails
DSC00771.JPG   DSC00770.JPG   DSC00018.jpg  
Old 11-04-2010, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice View Post
I am just a gun tinkerer but a cautious one. I've used a couple of do-it-yourself Cylinder & Slide trigger kits and they are excellent for my purposes. Good luck.
Same here - installed 2 C&S trigger pull reduction kits and they worked great. Easy to install also!
Old 11-04-2010, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy1 View Post
This is it.
Bridgeport J head. Manual, but I can work with it.

Alden2, I would, but I think you should be able to find someone closer to you for the work. I should have asked before I sent it your way the first time. That after the fact really sucks, that is how my life goes anyway.

Grayson: Judy and I have been thinking about TDI, doing the team tactics sometime this coming summer. We hope all is well with you, and I enjoy reading your posts here and on the Ed Brown forum. If you get that decked out Ed Brown will the guys make fun of you for such a fancy tool? Tell John we say HI, and I we will be looking for you guys at shot this year.
I also added a picture of my pet deer last winter. I know it does not have anything to do with this subject, but I like it.
Keith
I look forward to SHOT and catching up this time. IT WILL HAPPEN. As for the guys, well...they make fun of me for not running a polymer pistol in general.

FYI...This might be up your alley. We are tweaking Tac. Rifle III as a partner/team tactics course. Might be up your alley.

Send me a PM.

Regards,
Greyson
Old 11-05-2010, 12:27 AM

search youtube for a video from a guy called nutnfancy

He has a 2 segment video that goes through a trigger job, grip safety and safety install. It was a good watch for me to get a understanding of whats involved in a trigger job and how the different parts interact with each other.
Old 11-05-2010, 05:53 AM

Then do a search here and find out the videos showing the trigger job done by Terrry is not done to expected procedures and regularly panned as a "hack" job.

The gun was later restored to factory parts as the trigger job failed to perform adequately.

Then do a search here and find out how to approach a trigger job and decide if it is something you want to try.

Joe
Old 11-05-2010, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digby View Post
search youtube for a video from a guy called nutnfancy

He has a 2 segment video that goes through a trigger job, grip safety and safety install. It was a good watch for me to get a understanding of whats involved in a trigger job and how the different parts interact with each other.
if you are talking about the video with TerryG, that is NOT the way to do it. i believe that the owner of that Taurus had to swap the old trigger parts back in?

https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=266946

https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=245539
Old 11-05-2010, 08:06 AM

I'm not a gunsmith, but have done several 1911 triggers and they all turned out great. The drop in kits are not bad, but much can be done to improve a factory trigger with a few simple tools and replacement springs.
Old 11-05-2010, 04:56 PM

Go to Brownells web site and read the "2-½ lb. Trigger Pull" article by: Jack Weigand
Old 11-05-2010, 05:07 PM

Is this a good one to use? Only $48 plus shipping... probably about the same as a local gunsmith would charge me to do it.

It's for an STI Spartan, if that makes any difference... it's not a Series 80 Colt.
Old 11-05-2010, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alden2 View Post
Is this a good one to use? Only $48 plus shipping... probably about the same as a local gunsmith would charge me to do it.

It's for an STI Spartan, if that makes any difference... it's not a Series 80 Colt.
That is not what you need. that is for reducing the extra drag that a Series 80 and it's associated parts can induce on the trigger. You have good parts already in the Spartan. so do some reading or take it to a smith.
Old 11-05-2010, 05:48 PM

I think I'm gonna take it to a smith.
Old 11-05-2010, 06:14 PM

Check out the "smith" and his work before you commit. You would be amazed how many bubbas are out there doing "trigger jobs". It doesn't really require thousands of dollars of expensive tooling but it does require a fair amount of knowledge and understanding of how hammers and sears and triggers and safeties interact. It is a tuned system.
Old 11-05-2010, 07:03 PM

+1 on finding a smith who works on 1911s. I am lucky to have a friend who is very good with the 1911s. did a great job on my spartan and has it down to around 2.25-2.5 pounds.