Ed Brown rear dovetail sizing - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 03-20-2015, 08:09 PM

Ed Brown rear dovetail sizing

I shot my Ed Brown Corbra and the rear sight fell out of the dovetail on its maiden voyage. It has a set screw, so wondering if this was not screwed down all the way. Can't believe it should be this loose or am I wrong? guess I could send it back to Ed Brown, but trying to figure if that is "normal" for them. I always had to drift my Colts with a punch for windage. Must be a new thing John Browning missed in his development process.
Old 03-20-2015, 09:29 PM

No, it's not "normal". Rear sight should not depend on just the set screw to keep it on the slide under recoil. Ed Brown screwed up and either the dovetail is oversized or the sight is undersized. Send it back. They should pick up the shipping for what you paid for the gun.
Old 03-20-2015, 10:35 PM

Brown intentionally fits the rear sight a bit loose.
This allows the user to easily adjust for windage and
Loc-Tite the sight in place when satisfied.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2015, 11:51 PM

Mine shot loose at 900 rounds. Some blue loctite and reset the screw.
Old 03-21-2015, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pistolwrench View Post
Brown intentionally fits the rear sight a bit loose.
This allows the user to easily adjust for windage and
Loc-Tite the sight in place when satisfied.
Big difference between "a bit loose" and the sight falling off the gun. Having to keep resetting and loc-titing your rear sight (which will keep happening if the only thing holding the sight in the slide is a couple of little set screws and some loc-tite) to keep it on the slide is unacceptable on any gun and especially on something in the Ed Brown price range. And the way people seem to get a hissy fit about even any little mark on their gun these days, I can't imagine the OP being happy with having a smith staking the crap out of the slide dovetail to keep the sight in place. THAT would look real good on a $3000 gun.

Last edited by Paxson; 03-21-2015 at 06:32 AM. Reason: correct syntax
Old 03-21-2015, 09:03 AM

I was/am a bit put off on the rear sight fit. The gun currently is not a working gun but I was considering switching over to full time duty. However this issue has prevented me having confidence in the pistol. When the sight falls out after 25 rds, not a good sign. Does not seem like a combat ready design in that respect. I shot the rest of the box up without a rear sight. Other than that seemed ok, nothing special.

I wanted to get a feel from others who have run Ed Browns as this is my first. I'm normally a Colt kinda guy but the new Colts just don't speak to me right now. I'll be calling Ed Brown and see what they have to say. Maybe I can just send in the slide. I'd prefer a tight fit. Don't really want to mess with loc-tite or staking. Good old punch or sight drifting tool works for me. I want to run this gun hard (500-800 rds a time) and carry it. Don't care about wear or scratches just reliability. I actually love the look of a business looking gun.
Old 03-25-2015, 10:08 AM

Called Ed Brown this morning and pistol is an older one I guess. The use to offer this lose fit dovetail for ease of adjusting. They do not do this anymore, wonder why. They suggested I use red loc-tite, pretty much what was suggested. Asked if there was another solution and their tech will get back to me. Would be nice if there is another option or this will just stay a range gun.
Old 03-25-2015, 10:22 AM

If you loc-tite it and tighten the set screw, it will be secure.
1984 - 1992
Old 03-25-2015, 12:35 PM

This issue has come up in other sub-forums where the rear sight is affixed loose to allow windage adjustment. My thinking is that manufacturers that do this should prominently post it in the User's Manual.
That being said, it's an easy fix so there's need to be down on EB or the pistol at all. I never tell anyone what to do, but if it were me, I'd use a low strength Loctite after cleaning the threads of the set screw assembly from all grease with alcohol.
Old 03-25-2015, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
This issue has come up in other sub-forums where the rear sight is affixed loose to allow windage adjustment. My thinking is that manufacturers that do this should prominently post it in the User's Manual.
That being said, it's an easy fix so there's need to be down on EB or the pistol at all. I never tell anyone what to do, but if it were me, I'd use a low strength Loctite after cleaning the threads of the set screw assembly from all grease with alcohol.
If the sight is as loose as the OP describes, low strength Loctite just on the screws or even coating the entire dovetail isn't going to hold and it's going to shoot loose again. Red MIGHT work (assuming you coat the whole slot and not just the screws) better for awhile but is eventually gonna degrade and the sight get loose again. I have even seen the Black fail especially after oil, solvent, etc. creeps in over time when used to hold sights. Loctite is a patchwork fix and when you consider that this is one of the so-called "premium" guns, this reflects pretty shoddily on the manufacturer. I would expect if I bought a $3000 level gun that the maker would at least take the time and effort to dimension the cuts to hold the sights properly, so yes, that would be a reason for ME to be "down" on EB if I was having the OP's problems. This isn't some $300 gun from Turkey.
Old 03-25-2015, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxson View Post
If the sight is as loose as the OP describes, low strength Loctite just on the screws or even coating the entire dovetail isn't going to hold and it's going to shoot loose again. Red MIGHT work (assuming you coat the whole slot and not just the screws) better for awhile but is eventually gonna degrade and the sight get loose again. I have even seen the Black fail especially after oil, solvent, etc. creeps in over time when used to hold sights. Loctite is a patchwork fix and when you consider that this is one of the so-called "premium" guns, this reflects pretty shoddily on the manufacturer. I would expect if I bought a $3000 level gun that the maker would at least take the time and effort to dimension the cuts to hold the sights properly, so yes, that would be a reason for ME to be "down" on EB if I was having the OP's problems. This isn't some $300 gun from Turkey.
I hear you - but not necessarily agree. My solution has worked for me but YMMV. The answer is WHATEVER WORKS for you. The OP has a problem and perhaps there are multiple solutions - I offered one.

BTW, I'm degrading with time too. I used to be able to focus on the front sight easily. Certainly sorry you brought up degrading with time talk!

Last edited by NDL; 03-25-2015 at 03:14 PM.
Old 03-25-2015, 06:53 PM

What *isses me off about this whole "premium" gun thing these days is that it used to be when you bought a top of the line gun from one of the better makers/smiths they sweated their *alls off on the little things that made the difference in function and usability and ascetics came second. Most of the "1911 aficionados" today would have a hissy fit if handed a Jim Boland or John Williams or Don Fisher gun and would go into melt down over the "looks" and the lack of "visual perfection" or whatever and find a hundred and one things to *itch about but the damn guns would run and the sights wouldn't fall off and would shoot rings around most of this stuff people are paying big bucks for today.

Last edited by Paxson; 03-25-2015 at 06:54 PM. Reason: syntax
Old 03-25-2015, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxson View Post
What *isses me off about this whole "premium" gun thing these days is that it used to be when you bought a top of the line gun from one of the better makers/smiths they sweated their *alls off on the little things that made the difference in function and usability and ascetics came second. Most of the "1911 aficionados" today would have a hissy fit if handed a Jim Boland or John Williams or Don Fisher gun and would go into melt down over the "looks" and the lack of "visual perfection" or whatever and find a hundred and one things to *itch about but the damn guns would run and the sights wouldn't fall off and would shoot rings around most of this stuff people are paying big bucks for today.
I hear you again - and this time there is some agreement. Everything good gets dumbed down. Once a manufacturer knows they can increase sales by marketing to the masses - the product gets dumbed down. The pistols you're talking about still exist - the full (real) customs! And, by the way, I use to have hair - in addition to great eyes I spoke of before! Better days are coming.
Old 03-25-2015, 09:13 PM

The problem is that you can't dumb down the basics and expect stuff to work and not f*** up.
Old 03-25-2015, 09:27 PM

SF
Iím thinking that the rear sight dovetail cut is a standard size and the sight itself is installed for a loose fit by removing a little off the bottom. If that is true then procuring a new sight and installing it with a proper fit is the answer.

From the Ed Brown web site:
"Ed Brown Fixed Rear Sight Superior for concealed carry and abusive use. The Ed Brown fixed sight has slightly rounded edges so it won't snag on clothes or holsters, and a rebated blade for glare free shooting. Requires machining for correct installation. The night sight has tritium inserts with high visibility white outlines. Notch width is approximately 0.115. Dovetail is 65 degrees x 0.495."
Old 03-25-2015, 11:06 PM

[QUOTE=BobG78;5486346]SF
Iím thinking that the rear sight dovetail cut is a standard size and the sight itself is installed for a loose fit by removing a little off the bottom. If that is true then procuring a new sight and installing it with a proper fit is the answer.

Hopefully, you are right-that way at least the OP would have in-spec slide cuts. Rather a screwed up sight than a slide any day.
Old 03-26-2015, 10:24 AM

I have opposite problem. I'm right-handed and left eye dominant. I always need to fine tune the rear sight in the dovetail. If the sight is wedged in too tight, I can't do the fine tuning. I'd rather have slightly loose sight and deal with set screws and Loctite.
Old 03-26-2015, 01:39 PM

Received a call back from EB CS. Lady was wrong this is still standard practice and tech re-recommended the loc-tite thing. No offer to send in slide etc for inspection. No huge deal I'll just throw that one in cold storage just an extra floater. Not going to deal with any drama anymore from "custom" makers. Like I said I'm a Colt guy anyway so ill just carry my older colts. I'm just not going to depend on my irons being glued into place. Using some type of bonding/thread locker on optic mounts is one thing but having your primary sights glued is not my thing.

It literally slid out. I am left handed and right eye dominant so I cant the pistol to right about 15-20 degrees to bring the sight into the correct plane. Because of the cant the rear sight just fell out.

Let me be clear not bashing EB it's a nice looking pistol and shot nice. Just not in my opinion a "working" gun. If that's the way they do it fine I now know. Down the road maybe ill test fit a couple of rear sights to see if they fit better. I need to fit an ambi safety to it, which is now unlikely so it will probably just sit there. Thanks for all the input and ideas.
Old 03-26-2015, 04:28 PM

It wouldn't be 'glued on'. It would be held by the set screw that would be secured with a thread locker. Standard operating procedure.
Old 03-26-2015, 10:28 PM

I would disagree without the thread locking compound on the set screw it will fall off at some point. Why not just put an adjustable sight on it in the first place. That would be even easier. A dollop of witness marking paint and good to go. And if the adjustable sight moves just takes a screw driver or case rim to fix (re-adjust) not loc-tite and hex wrench. Lets not always try to build a better mouse trap when the original is fine.

I have nothing in this EB. Now I might try some different rear sights. I like tritium free rears so should be a cheap endeavor. It would just make me feel better about a potential failure that is a big deal depending on what you are shooting at.

On a side note only part on my colts I have ever had problems with is a loose plunger tube. But it's still hanging on after 20k down the pipe. Second is the hammer and sear on a 1914 colt needed to be re-cut. Nothing ever fell off nor have I had to glue anything to keep it together.
Old 03-26-2015, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheeple Fighter View Post
I would disagree without the thread locking compound on the set screw it will fall off at some point. Why not just put an adjustable sight on it in the first place. That would be even easier. A dollop of witness marking paint and good to go. And if the adjustable sight moves just takes a screw driver or case rim to fix (re-adjust) not loc-tite and hex wrench. Lets not always try to build a better mouse trap when the original is fine.

I have nothing in this EB. Now I might try some different rear sights. I like tritium free rears so should be a cheap endeavor. It would just make me feel better about a potential failure that is a big deal depending on what you are shooting at.

On a side note only part on my colts I have ever had problems with is a loose plunger tube. But it's still hanging on after 20k down the pipe. Second is the hammer and sear on a 1914 colt needed to be re-cut. Nothing ever fell off nor have I had to glue anything to keep it together.
There you go - you're batting 1.000 with nothing ever falling off a pistol. And if you affix the sights correctly they'll stay put as well. BTW, Ed Brown does offer adjustable sights if the gun is special ordered - and standard on the Executive Target - which is the model I have. I'm 72 y/o so my tired eyes require them. Anyway, give it a chance and I think that you'll really grow to love the gun. Be well and enjoy!

Last edited by NDL; 03-26-2015 at 11:42 PM.
Old 03-27-2015, 08:37 AM

You could try pricking the bottom of the sight with a sharp in two or three spots. This would tighten it up and between that and the set screw maybe it would stay put n
Old 03-29-2015, 11:32 AM

Actually I have had some parts fall off some guns before .
A beretta issued to me by an unnamed govt agency had the front sight fall off. Armorer fixed that in a jiffy. Second was the cylinder release on a S&W 386PD. S&W had great CS on that one.

I think I'll try something to shim up that extra space. It really is to nice of a pistol not to use.

Last edited by Sheeple Fighter; 03-29-2015 at 11:36 AM.
Old 12-10-2015, 10:43 PM

Soo...I eventually did get the rear sight issue squared away. I ended up taking the pistol to Andrew McFarlane (ADM Gun and Rifle), a local guy who builds really nice english style rifles and shotguns, etc. I ended up going with a 10-8 u-notch. what Andrew did was use some stainless steel shim with a hole punched in the middle so I can still use the set screw as extra hold. It is now drift-able and will not shoot off!! He also put on the machined Ed-Brown ambi-safety. Nice job great engagement. Really don't like the Ed-Brown safety, rides to high for my liking and the paddle is a bit to square. I will probably have Andrew try something different. If you are in the DFW area Andrew is a great guy.

Old 12-11-2015, 08:45 AM

All Ed Brown sights are fit pretty loose. This saves them time in assembly. As more and more semi custom makers move away from hand fitting, this is one area that sees varying results.

The gap now present under your rear sight raises the height of it. This will cause you to have to raise your front sight higher to compensate. You will probably find that the gun prints higher than it did before.