Claims that Tarus shoots 38 Super and 45 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 09-12-2012, 09:29 AM

Claims that Tarus shoots 38 Super and 45

A guy advertising on Arms list claims he has a gun with two slides and barrels that shoots either 38 super or 45

Is a Tarus different? Does it not have the same type of ejector staked into the main frame?

Shouldnt the 38 super work on the 9mm spacing?

Gene
Old 09-12-2012, 09:42 AM

Either the ejector is changed for the 38 sup or the 45 slide has been cut for the offset ejector which will work quite well for 45. Some use it for all calibers.

LOG

Old 09-12-2012, 10:04 AM

Many years ago, both Colt and Springfield Armory sold "kits" to convert a .45 ACP to 9mm. The kit included a slide, barrel, bushing, recoil spring, and magazine. The 9mm slide was cut to handle the .45 ejector. I had the Springfield kit and it worked most of the time. It was fine for cheap practice, but I wouldn't stake my life on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2012, 11:19 AM
Banned

Well Gene. It is like this. Some mighty fantastic claims are made on the net. Some true. Some, not so true. Or, it could be like log says regarding this one.

It could be they did it another way and it do not work so hot.

Happy Krieghoff
Old 09-12-2012, 07:25 PM

My current .38 Super has spent some time as a 9x19 and a 9x23mm.

With another ejector and slide/barrel, it has also seen life as a .45 ACP.

Now, when it was a .45, the only thing it would feed was 230 grain FMJ. Nothing else that I tried would work.

So, it can be done, but reliability in one of the calibers is probably going to be severely compromised.

With a ramped barrel, this could be avoided.
Old 09-12-2012, 07:36 PM
Banned

There's nothing magical about swap-top 1911s. The difference is the ejector, which sits a little farther to the side on Government model 45s. I think the commander 45 might have the 38/9mm ejector, and I'm sure that someone will come along to correct me if I'm wrong.

Several of my pistols are multi-caliber. For one 45 slide I ordered I had Caspian mill it so that it would work with either a 45 or 38 Super ejector.

Some companies have different feed ramp designs for 45 vs. the others. And some don't. As noted, a ramped barrel design avoids this potential issue.

Last edited by superdude; 09-12-2012 at 07:39 PM.
Old 09-13-2012, 09:09 AM

I don't think Taurus offers any such option. I imagine it is some kind of 'put-together' that turned out to have severe limitations. However, if it were a factory set, I'm sure it would work.
Old 09-13-2012, 09:42 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1saxman View Post
I don't think Taurus offers any such option. I imagine it is some kind of 'put-together' that turned out to have severe limitations. However, if it were a factory set, I'm sure it would work.
Why do you assume that it doesn't function?
Old 09-13-2012, 10:03 AM

the German Peters Stahl pistols use the same slide for 2 calibers, the only thing you have to change is the barrel and magazine.

I don't know wich ejector he uses, the slide has 2 extractors

gr T
Old 09-13-2012, 12:35 PM
Banned

Might be a fairly safe bet unless there are some connect the dots to some name we know. Sadly, Taurus being an entry level gun and all plus you tube and there are many nice folks burning the midnight oil on the net and kitchen table. Lots of this stuff winds up on the market with mystery history and questionable reliability.
Old 09-13-2012, 02:45 PM

I have made a couple switch tops (.45 ACP and .38 Super) and still own one.

I used ramped barrels, and depending on the frame maker and original caliber either modded the ejector or the slide.

Usually the ejector was enough if you started with a 9mm frame.

They all worked just fine.

If you put a full length guide rod in to capture the recoil spring, you can pop out the slide stop, pull off the slide, then put the other top on with its separate slide stop.

Grab the other magazine and start banging away.

It has attracted range attention more then once when someone notices the boom giving way to the supersonic crack.

Last edited by brickeyee; 09-13-2012 at 02:47 PM.
Old 09-13-2012, 06:04 PM
Banned

I know folks have caliber conversions that run. I also know there are those that do not. I would just be somewhat shy in the case of one for sale unless there was a try before you buy deal.
Old 09-13-2012, 10:23 PM

I guess I would need a picture on this - where would you mill the slide for this to work- wouldnt you be inside the radius of the 45 case if you started with the 9MM slide?
Old 09-13-2012, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GN7777777 View Post
I guess I would need a picture on this - where would you mill the slide for this to work- wouldnt you be inside the radius of the 45 case if you started with the 9MM slide?
No the ejector looks about the same in the back and is offset inboard about half way forward. This ejector is required to be able to eject the smaller cases. The Colt Commander in 45 ACP is fitted with this same ejector. One or more of the pros that post here always uses the offset 9mm/38sup/40mm/10mm ejector in every one of his/their 45 acp builds as it helps to eliminates failure to eject. It's a subtle difference, that is over looked, even when owning both factory caliber pistols with the different ejector until you really take a look.

LOG

Old 09-14-2012, 02:53 AM

Thats my way, others may as well. The Greyson ejector makes it very easy...