Colt 9mm Conversion Kits - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 04-05-2011, 03:37 PM

Colt 9mm Conversion Kits

I have a line on a series 70 Colt 9mm conversion kit. The owner (and Colt when they made it) claims you can put it on a Colt 45 acp frame and it will run. Now I read all day that the feed ramp angle is different and that you can't put a 9mm slide on a 45 frame and make it work. How did Colt do it - or did they?

Do they work? They didn't sell them for long - is that because no on really wanted a 9mm 1911 or because they just don't work. The conversion isn't cheap so I'd love to hear from people on whether or not they are worth it.

It would be a great solution for me so I wouldn't have to buy another gun as I can't get the gun I want in the state I'm in.

Thanks,

Jeff
Old 04-05-2011, 04:07 PM

Frame feed ramp cuts are not the same for 45 and 9mm. Before I knew that, I put a 9mm top end on a 45 Combat Commander and it would feed fine.

Government models use different ejectors for 45 and 9mm. 45 slides can be modified to work with 9mm ejectors. 9mm ejectors are also longer and may present a problem try to clear a loaded 45 round.

I don't know if all 45 frames will feed 9mm or not. Maybee I just got lucky.

USPSA A-27738

Allan
Old 04-05-2011, 04:35 PM

So how/why did Colt market this conversion?

I'm talking about one like this:

http://www.gunsamerica.com/976933339...ERSION_KIT.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2011, 06:23 PM

I don't know how that kit works. It may be possible that the conversion slide will work with the 45 ejector unlike standard 9mm slides.

Hpefully someone will answer that for both of us.

USPSA A-27738

Allan
Old 04-05-2011, 09:31 PM

Gentlemen,

I am by no means an expert on the Conversion Unit, but I have been building one up after acquiring an '80s vintage slide for use on a Cobra GCNM look-a-like. I'm almost there.

These 9mm Conversion Units came with the slide (which was always Series 80), barrel (which was heavily tapered; unique to Colt 9mm 1911s at the time), a barrel bushing (collet-style for the '80s guns), slide stop, magazines (two or three, I believe), and an ejector. Also came in its own box with literature on care and use.

Slides are marked "COLT MK IV -SERIES 80-" with the prancing horse on the left side, and "9MM CONVERSION UNIT" on the right side, beneath the ejection port. The ejection port is lowered, but not flared.

The slide looks very much like a Gold Cup's, right down to the raised rib and highly polished flats. However, they all used the Accro sight instead of the Elliason, and I believe (I may be mistaken on this) that they all used a solid pin for the sight instead of the roll pin of the Elliason.

Barrels were marked "CAL. 9MM LUGER -PARABELLUM-". Why Colt decided to use both Luger and Parabellum on the same part is anyone's guess. As stated before, barrel has that interesting taper to it, which was called for in use with the collet bushing, but odd in how heavy of a taper was used. I don't know if this taper was still present on the post collet-bushing produced kits (last run of these units was made in 1997, if memory serves correctly). Since the slide was modeled after a Gold Cup's, the barrel is a thin-hood type.

Beyond that, pretty standard fare. Slide stop and ejector are obviously designed for 9mm, and you needed to use both of these to have a working gun.

All of these units were blued carbon steel. I don't know of any in stainless or nickel, and I don't think those exist.

I really don't know how reliable they were, since I haven't talked to any owners out there who've shot theirs'. Since they were intended to be a universal conversion unit, I would surmise that reliability would be literally hit or miss, and would probably require attention on a case-by-case basis. I would guess they ran okay with ball nose for the most part, but probably refused to run on hollow point, given the weirdly shaped ramp formed by the meeting of the .45 frame and 9mm barrel, and the fact that Colts were infamously picky with many hollow points of all calibers back in the day. When I get mine running in a few weeks/months, remind me to give you guys a field report.

I don't know how many of these were made, but they are very rare to come across. They were made at random points in limited quantities throughout the '80s and '90s, and are not serialized. My guess is probably around 2,000 units total, but that's a very rough guesstimation on my part.

I hope that Colt will do another run of these someday, along with another ACE Conversion Unit. With ammo so expensive these days, these kits would make a lot of sense, and probably be far more profitable nowadays than back then.

Paradiddle, if I were in your shoes, I'd snatch that gun up in a hurry if the price is right, if for nothing else but the Conversion Unit itself, assuming its in good condition and has its original parts. Like I said before, it would probably take some massaging to get it to work reliably depending on what lower half you'd be using it with, but it would be really awesome to have a dual (or triple, of you also have an ACE Unit) caliber 1911.

I hope I was able to provide at least some useful info. Good day to youse.
Old 04-07-2011, 04:45 PM

At one time both Colt and Springfield Armory marketed 9mm conversion kits for .45ACP pistols. I have one of the Springfield kits. To ensure more-or-less reliable feeding, the 9mm mag used a follower that "presented" the cartridge at just the right angle to the barrel throat. The bullet passed over the feed ramp on its way to the barrel.
Old 04-07-2011, 05:33 PM

I have 2 of the Springfield Armory conversion kits for their 1911a1 .45ACP pistols. As was stated above the ejectors are diffrent. I have left the drift pins out of mine to ease the caliber conversion process. The run and shoot fine, Have also used the Colt units with out a problem.
The soul is dyed the color of your thoughts. Think only on those things that are in line with your principles and can bear the light of day. The content of your character is your choice, Day by day, what you choose, what you think and what you do is WHO you become. Your integrity is your destiny, it is the light that guides your way.