Help. 22 conversion does not fit - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 03-28-2011, 08:55 PM

Help. 22 conversion does not fit

I purchased a Marvel Precision Unit 2 for my Dan Wesson Valor. The conversion unit slides on to the frame until the ejector and the slide meet. Looking at it from the back, it is at the inside face of the ejector/slide where contact is being made. Their seems to be enough clearance at the left side and the top of the ejector. I did send a mesage to marvel but I thought I would get some other opinions. I really don't want to mess with the ejector on the Valor because it functions perfectly. Is my only option taking material our of the conversion unit slide? I know a picture would help. Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Patrick
Old 03-28-2011, 11:28 PM

This is an old post and don't know if you have this resolved. But Marvel and the STI unit are the same. Kinda. If it will not fit then I would alter the ejector. It is the least expensive piece in the puzzle. I am sure you are only talking a few thousands of an inch or so? The ejector, when modified for the .22 unit should still work perfect other wise.
Old 03-29-2011, 06:20 AM

Not sure I'd take that path. Build a cheap frame for the upper if you really need a .22.
Modify a mid/upper level production gun to convert it? Nah.
Joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2011, 07:08 AM

What use do you make of the Valor. If it is either a CCW or a HD weapon, I would leave it alone & modify the Conversion Unit slide. Personally, having a qualified gunsmith modify the slide is an alternative you should consider. Just make sure they know not to modify the Valor.
Old 03-29-2011, 07:23 AM
Super Moderator

I wouldn't do any mods to anything until I heard back from Marvel. Email might work, but a phone call usually gets info more directly. There might be a problem with the slide/ejector interface, but maybe not. The Marvel Unit is designed to work with most 1911 frames.

NRA Life Member
Old 03-29-2011, 09:18 AM

Thanks for your responses. I will wait until I hear back from Marvel. The Valor is strictly a range gun as all my guns are until our state allows CC. Oddly enough I did install it on my Les Baer PII with no problems. The only difference between the Valor and the PII is the thickness of the ejector. The Valor ejector looks to be the same thickness as the PII only at the rear of the ejector, at the leading edge the Valor ejector could possibly be twice as thick. I did not put calipers on it but visually you can see the difference. I guess this leads me to my next question, I always assumed that ejectors for 45 ACP would all be the same dimensionally.

I don't feel quite as bad know that I have a gun to use it on. I was just planning to use it on the Valor.
Old 03-29-2011, 05:15 PM

I had the same problem years ago with a Marvel and a Colt. I slowly filed the right side of the ejector until the Marvel slide cleared the ejector. The Marvel worked fine and there was no effect on .45 operation with the Colt slide. I use this set-up weekly.
Old 03-29-2011, 05:20 PM

I think this is the type of thing that has strayed me from getting one of these and asking my wife to just go ahead n get me a true/dedicated 1911-.22 platform to plink with at the range with her n y lil ones. For about 300-350 i think theres a RIA that has been nothing but great according to their owners. I k ow of 2 personally and they run great. But then we only use CCI non HP's and they must be Copper tips. Think they r called CCI Mini-Mag 40gr. But i dont like cheapo .22t-bolts like the remington stuff or AE. I hope ur sysyem gets fixed. I know its fustrating as hell when ya know something isnt 100%. Keeps me up at night.
S/A 1911-A1 "Ultra Compact" {Load'd & Mod'd}-S/A 1911-A1 MilSpec {Mod'd}-S/A XD.40s&w (Svc), Glock-19&21, S&W Model 41&22-A, Beretta .22, S&W M&P .223&15-22, Savage 10FCE .308, Mossberg 500-A(Tac).12ga.
Old 03-30-2011, 08:23 AM

Thanks juleslewis,

That is what I intend to try tonight. It is barely catching and there is plenty of material there for the ejector to do its job.

Tacticool1

I was struggling with the same question, Buy a dedicated 1911 22 or the conversion kit. I ultimately choose the conversion kit half expecting that I may need to spend some time with it to get it to function properly. From my research it also seems that Marvel has great customer service and will be ther to assist. My decision was based upon what platform I would prefer shooting 22lr with. I choose my VBOB because of the bobtail frame and sweet trigger.
Old 03-30-2011, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pat3172 View Post
I purchased a Marvel Precision Unit 2 for my Dan Wesson Valor. The conversion unit slides on to the frame until the ejector and the slide meet. Looking at it from the back, it is at the inside face of the ejector/slide where contact is being made. Their seems to be enough clearance at the left side and the top of the ejector. I did send a mesage to marvel but I thought I would get some other opinions. I really don't want to mess with the ejector on the Valor because it functions perfectly. Is my only option taking material our of the conversion unit slide? I know a picture would help. Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Patrick
Patrick;
.22 Conversions are a huge part of my work;
I have found, that many shooters tend to go cheap on the 1911 frame, and suffer endless problems with feeding. A lot of the less than stellar frames on the market are not suitable. If the magazines do not seat properly in relation to height, and fore/aft positioning, feeding problems are inevitable, and difficult to eliminate. Not to demean your Dan Wesson, it fits a specific niche in the market, but it is not a frame I would recommend for a serious .22 conversion.
Good luck
Jerry
Old 03-30-2011, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Keefer View Post
Patrick;
.22 Conversions are a huge part of my work;
I have found, that many shooters tend to go cheap on the 1911 frame, and suffer endless problems with feeding. A lot of the less than stellar frames on the market are not suitable. If the magazines do not seat properly in relation to height, and fore/aft positioning, feeding problems are inevitable, and difficult to eliminate. Not to demean your Dan Wesson, it fits a specific niche in the market, but it is not a frame I would recommend for a serious .22 conversion.
Good luck
Jerry
Haven't heard this type of comment about DW before.

What frames would you recommend for use with either of the Marvel conversions?

This is curiosity, not a challenge.
Old 03-31-2011, 12:09 PM

Update

The fact that I could not get the Marvel Unit 2 to install on my VBOB but work on my Les Baer led me to try it on my Dan Wesson RZ Sportsman in 10mm and my Dan Wesson Guradian in 9mm. Surprisingly it fit on the Guardian with not issues, on the RZ it was a tad too tight on the inside face of the ejector. I know that DW uses excellent internal parts, so I don't know if the pin location for the ejector is slightly different on each DW gun or if the ejector varies for each DW gun. I will have to try and put calipers on the ejectors and check them out. The ejector used on the LB is a completely different design.

Ill keep you posted if anyone is interested. I am just being curious as to why the differences.
Old 04-04-2011, 08:40 AM

As a follow up, i think the ejectors used on all of the DW models I have are EGW. When I put a caliper to them they all varied in thickness, Ironically the thickest one was on the VBOB (45 cal) the next was the RZ SPortsman (10mm) and the thinnest was on the Guardian (9mm). I think this is just coincidental and is not caliber specific.
Old 04-05-2011, 10:12 AM

My experience with Marvel, Ciener, Jarvis and Tactical Solutions 22 conversion units indicates that they fit on some 1911's and not others. Some frames are tighter than others but most frequently it is related to the ejector. The Marvel unit has been the most interchangeable amongst my 1911 frames.