1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 03-02-2010, 06:14 PM

Breech Face Width

Hi all,

I have a new 9mm slide that has a breech face width of .407" measured with a 'very near' caliper. This width is .013 wider than the nominal rim dia of the 9mm case. My trusty old 40 S&W breech measures .407" which is .005 over the nominal dia of a 40 rim.
This extra clearance has me worried a bit. I'm afraid I may have issues with a fired case slipping out of the extractor hook.
Does anyone have a feel for what the max allowable clearance should be?
Old 03-02-2010, 08:49 PM

Somethings wrong with the 40S&W dimensions , but understand your concern. However that doesn't mean there is a problem. The extractor is all that contacts on the extractor side and pins the case on the opposite, tension wall. The location of the tension wall in relation to the chamber center would be the important point.

LOG

Old 03-03-2010, 05:13 AM

breech face width

I believe one of the major mfgs used the same breechface diameter for the ,40 and the 9mm at one time.....(maybe Springfield?).

I have a slide that I opened up the breech face to accomodate the .40 and the 9mm, yet I use the 9mm most of the time, and shoot the gun in action shooting competition. My 9mm gun works great, with excellent reliability. I hope yours will too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2010, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by log man View Post
Somethings wrong with the 40S&W dimensions , but understand your concern. However that doesn't mean there is a problem. The extractor is all that contacts on the extractor side and pins the case on the opposite, tension wall. The location of the tension wall in relation to the chamber center would be the important point.

LOG
Log,
Your like my x,,,,,,,,,, always right The difference is you back it up with facts! I did type the wrong number for the 40 breech. It's actually .428".

After doing more research you guys are right on. No need for me to worry.

Thanks for the info,
Old 03-05-2010, 07:29 PM

Kimber used (or uses) the same breechface diameter for their .40 S&W and the 9mm 1911's. I have a Kimber that started life in .38 Super to which I fitted 9mm, .40 S&W, 10 mm, 9x23mm, and .357 Sig barrels. All worked fine.
Old 03-06-2010, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richpetrone View Post
I believe one of the major mfgs used the same breechface diameter for the ,40 and the 9mm at one time.....(maybe Springfield?).

I have a slide that I opened up the breech face to accomodate the .40 and the 9mm, yet I use the 9mm most of the time, and shoot the gun in action shooting competition. My 9mm gun works great, with excellent reliability. I hope yours will too.
I'm interested in this, my .40 Beretta almost blew up due to bad ammo and I'd like nothing more than to convert it to 9mm. If a barrel only is doable that'd be great!

Seriously....

Last edited by JeffC; 03-07-2010 at 08:14 AM.