Problems -- Multiple FTF's with new TacSol .22 conversion - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 10-31-2009, 08:59 PM

Problems -- Multiple FTF's with new TacSol .22 conversion

Recently I bought a new Tactical Solutions .22LR conversion unit for my 1911's. I researched this quite a bit, on this forum and others, and the TacSol unit kept coming up (along with Marvel) as a leading choice. I also checked with TacSol, and folks here on the forum, and everyone seemed to think the unit would fit just fine on my Springfield 1911's, but today I tried it out for the first time, and had major problems.

Here were the issues I saw:

* The mags would not fit in the mag well. On both 1911's, the mags were so tight that you had to force with all your strength to get them in, and you were almost afraid of damaging them. One mag wouldn't fit in, period. The other would go in with great difficulty, but there was no definitive "click" where it felt like it was seated properly. It would either go in too far, or not far enough, and you just had to slide it to the right position where the ammo would feed correctly. If you were slightly off either way, you'd have constant FTF's.

* Frequent failures to feed and failures to extract. I had probably 20 out of 100 rounds fail to feed. This was because of the mag positioning problem mentioned above (the mag would not seat itself properly). Also had probably half a dozen failures to extract or slide failing to lock back on empty (which it is supposed to).

I found that when the mag was occasionally positioned just right, the conversion unit fed and fired beautifully. But that was rare, and because the problems with the mags are so extreme, I cannot see really how this problem could easily be fixed. I don't really want someone to customize my mag wells on my 1911's, as they fit normal 1911 mags just fine. I suppose I or someone could custom-fit the TacSol .22 mags to my magwells, but that will probably get fairly involved, and I'm still not sure how we would get around the issue that they don't seem to seat properly or lock into place at any point.

Aside from simply returning this unit to where I bought it, does anyone have any suggestions of what I might do to get this thing working? I'd really like to have a .22 conversion unit for my 1911's, and I think the TacSol unit itself would work great, but it looks to me like the mag problem is quite a mess. I'm not sure I got defective mags either, I'm concerned that these might just be perfectly standard mags, and perhaps they just aren't going to work given the tolerances on Springfield mag wells. Looking for suggestions!
Old 11-01-2009, 02:03 AM

I am not very familiar with that unit, are the mags aluminum or steel? If they are the aluminum ones like the ceiner I would look on the mag to see where the scratches are, if it does go in the frame we are talking about a few .001's somewhere. If it is on the sides you can put the magazine flat on some fine sandpaper on a very flat surface and attemp to take an even amount off both sides. Or you can try magazines made by kimber or ceiner.
Old 11-01-2009, 09:01 AM

I have both the TacSol and the Marvel conversions. The base of the TacSol mag is 7/8" wide while the Marvel's is only 1/2". The TacSol mag base may be hitting your mag well before getting fully seated. I tried my TacSol mag in several 1911's a got "interference" and failure to lock in. Fortunately, the TacSol did work with a Kimber with a wide extended mag well. You may need to shave your mag base to fit. Also, I did run into a failure to feed problem with some ammo. May TacSol has a very tight chamber and some brands just wouldn't fit. I took the barrel out, held it muzzle down, and tried to drop the rounds in. I was surprised at the variation. My TacSol likes the Winchester SuperX HV roundnose. It barely works with Minimags.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2009, 09:58 AM

The Tacsol mags are made out of aluminum. When pushing them into the mag well, they are tight all the way in, there is resistance from the initial point that you push them into the mag well, and all the way up. And there is quite a variance even between the two Tacsol mags: one will at least go in (though still too tight to eject and fit well), the other won't go in at all.
Old 11-02-2009, 09:23 PM

To bring some closure to this story: Found out today I have a couple of good options for resolution. I can either return to the place I bought it for a refund, or, TacSol will fix it. Tacsol was extremely cool about it when I called them. They said they believe their unit is still the one I will be happiest with, and they will ship at their expense the unit, plus one of my 1911 frames, back to them and they will custom fit the conversion unit and mags to the 1911.

So, I have to decide whether to get a refund or let them try to fix it, but hey, either way those are great options and you have to appreciate their customer service. They are sure going above and beyond to try to correct things. I think I will probably let them try to fix it, I have to believe after all the good things I've read about this unit, that I just got a rare fluke, and it should be possible to get one that will run well. If they fix it, I'll update the forum with the results.
Old 11-02-2009, 10:14 PM

i have to say that tacsol customer service when i needed it - and i needed service for a freak occurrence which tacsol had no responsibility in causing - was outstanding! i basically called them to find out if my problem could be fixed and not only did they say it could be fixed, they fixed it. went way out of their way to help me out with a situation they had absolutely no liability in. i have no doubt they will have a solution for you as well, and i hope you are as happy with yours as i am with mine.
Old 11-03-2009, 12:03 AM

BTW, I mic'd the TacSol magazines tonight, and they were WAY thick compared to my "standard" Springfield and CMC Power mags. When I mic'd the thickness of the mags at front and rear, the TacSol mags were 0.003 to 0.004 thicker than my other mags. That alone would be enough to cause most of the issues I had.