1911Forum banner

SIG GSR Revolution

50K views 36 replies 24 participants last post by  cliffspot 
#1 ·
A local gun store sells SIG 1911's and they call them "GSR Revolution". I heard early SIG GSR's had problems, is the Revolution the newer, improved version? I've owned a number of classic SIG's and love them but I've never done much looking into their 1911's...

#3 ·
The SIG 1911 was originally called the GSR Revolution and the slide had Sig Arms stamped on it. SInce the company is now Sig Sauer, they dropped the GSR for some reason. Now they're simply called Revolution. Initially they had some QC issues, but if you stay with serial #'s above 12xxx you'll be fine. They're an excellent shooting, very accurate pistol. Even if you have an issue they have a lifetime warranty and a good customer service dept. especially if you talk to Victoria. I have a GSR Compact stainless that is 11 months old. I've put 6,200 rounds through it and had an ejector loosen up on me. They got the gun on Dec. 15 and I had it back in my hands on the 18th. You may hear people on the different forums that bash Sig, but some of them have never owned a GSR. Most of the people who own a GSR love them. Good Luck on your decision.

#8 · (Edited)
This contains some incorrect info. The initial SIG 1911's were simply called GSR which stands for Granite Series Rail. The "Revolution" series is post "man hole" slides when SIG brought everything back in house and made them complete instead of just assembling with little finishing. The current GSR's are indeed all "Revolution series" pistols, in late 08 they changed the rollmarkings so they no long say "Revolution" on the slide. Serial numbers to look for are 7xxx and above.

I do agree that they are quite excellent and very accurate. I carry mine 4 days out of the week. I have owned and currently own several style 1911's, while the SIG is non traditional with its external extractor and SIGesque slide, it is every bit a 1911.

#5 ·
I have two Sig 1911's, both of them are post "Revolution". Both are excellent
pistols. I've spoken with two highly experianced pistol smiths, re: bad reputation of early Sig 1911's. Both told me the same thing.. that is, 'they were no better and no worse than any of the other semi-custom limited production 1911's.'

#6 ·
Sig GSR

My Sig GSR nitron rail is my duty weapon with which I depend on daily. It is dead accurate and functions flawlessly. I could not have bought a better pistol at four times the price. Mine is a June 2007 manufacture. I think the GSRs are the best deal in 1911 pistols hands down. For under $1,000 you get a forged stainless steel weapon that is hand fitted with no plastic or MIM parts that will shoot super tight groups. If only I needed or could afford another one. Hey, maybe it is time to start saving for that GSR RCS!

#7 ·
My Sig GSR nitron rail is my duty weapon with which I depend on daily. It is dead accurate and functions flawlessly. I could not have bought a better pistol at four times the price. Mine is a June 2007 manufacture. I think the GSRs are the best deal in 1911 pistols hands down. For under $1,000 you get a forged stainless steel weapon that is hand fitted with no plastic or MIM parts that will shoot super tight groups. If only I needed or could afford another one. Hey, maybe it is time to start saving for that GSR RCS!

These are both all stainless. The Nitron finish is the best of all my Sigs (ever). Mirror polish on feed ramps and barrel throat. slide champhered where it meets the frame, flawless checkering, ZERO malfunctions of any kind. 3 dot night sites. Lanyard MSH. They came w/ 3, 8 rnd mags. these were $1029.
stainless from here in Az. the Nitron from Ohio. Note the grip safety is a STI type (Slightly different upon side by side comparison).
When Sig wants to, they can build a pistol as fine as anyone. These are my proof.

#11 ·
Higher serial # guns are rock solid reliable. The early SIG 1911's suffered from almost too much love. Too many high end quality parts that didn't work well together coupled with Caspian frames and slides and SIG really didn't have the experience to integrate all this "goodness" into a reliable 1911.

I have a 5" SS that I use primarily as my competition gun and it has been extraordinarily reliable. Trigger breaks like a glass rod with no discernable creep or take-up.

Now if I could just live up to this pistol I would be a Grand Master. Like that's gonna happen.

RMD

#18 · (Edited)
As I already explained earlier, the compacts have altogether different serial numbers. Such is the case with any other manufacturer with variances of frames. For example, Glock G17s and G19s do not have the same serial number sequence as they are two different guns.

#23 · (Edited)
It's easy to see how we could all get confused on the generations and markings of the SIG 1911, as they seem to change about as frequently as most of us change our underwear!:biglaugh: My SIG stainless carry states on the box that it was made in November of 2008, and it simply states "GSR Sigarms" on the left side of the slide, and nothing on the right side. It's serial number is GSC011XX. At lease Sig marks on the plastic box the production month/year of production which is more than some manufacturers do.:)

#27 ·
My 2008 Revolution STX has serial number GS148XX. There is no 1911 in the number. I looked at all of the ones at the gun shop a month ago and they all had Revolution on them, but I do not know when they were made. Although my slide to frame fit has a little play, mine will put 10 Bullseye loads in under a inch at 25 yards off of a Ransom rest.

#28 ·
In the beginning there was the SiGARMS GSR (Granite State Rail)...even the ones that came later without the rail...

Then came...the SiGARMS GSR Revolution...the first major change...

Now there is the SiG Sauer 1911...what they're called now...SiGARMS is gone and no GSR or Revolution name...

Bill

#29 ·
SIG dropped that model

Sig dropped that moldel all together! They are now calling it the RCS Nitro. I had to return my GSR several times before they said they would replace it. I'm glad they are standing by thier guns and they would not say the GSR had problems. Check out the SIG web site and see. One thing I could say positive about the GSR, is the one of the most accurate 1911 guns I ever bought! I'm hoping the new RCS is just as accurate and troulble free! Hope it helps Steve

#30 ·
Years ago Sig hired a BEAN COUNTER for their CEO.

My opinion: after that, things kind of went off the rails. For instance, during the Obama craze they started shipping pistols with one mag instead of the two they used to ship with. That's just piss-poor business practice, and taking advantage of a volatile situation.

I don't like Sig or their business philosophy "the most amount of money, with the cheapest parts, in the quickest time to build" their quality control has suffered, again, this is my opinion and I'm sure I will be attacked for speaking my mind, (per usual on these types of forums).

So let it be known: I'm not subscribing to this topic so don't waste your time berating me for my opinion, I won't see it.

#32 ·
Years ago Sig hired a BEAN COUNTER for their CEO.
You mean the ex-MIMBER boss??:biglaugh:

Actually the whole board of directors are ex-Kimber.

#31 ·
Ok a little bit off the OP but anyways, im paying off a Sig 1911 Target Stainless on the GS19xxx range and wanted to know is there is a drop in full length guide rod that i can install on it. I know, i know that is blasphemy but just fly with me on this one:biglaugh:. Now about the random out-of-the-blue comment by patsfan. They had heavy QC probs. with the GSR series at first, and presently there are "reports" of the 220 line also having troubles out of the line.THIS REPORTS COME FROM THE INTERNET SO THEY MUST ALL BE TRUE This fire is further fueled by the fact that the newest sig 238 had a recall. Again they solved it. IMHO no gun is 100% reliable no matter how much it costs. A 4000 dollar gun can fail the same as a 100 one. The odds of it may be lower but we are still talking about machines here. When companies launch a new product no mater how much in house testing they do, the true reliability test (in this case) will come in the form of a lot of people buying it and having it work or not. No such thing as perfect ****.

#33 ·
I bought one of the first GSR's off the line. Boy were they a pain the ass. From trigger problems to grip safety problems to dead night sights to cracked grips to slide galling to sticking mags to thumb safety problems to sloppy frame to slide fit to bad barrel lock up to jams to fail to load to fail to extract to broken extractors and etc.

I experienced all that. Exchanged with Sig Arms 6 new guns. All had varying problems. Finally got their GSR line Manager to refund me my money. Bough a Colt XSE and have had zero issues since. Cept the sharp edges on the frame issue, but I can live with that.

#34 ·
I have a SS 5" model with rail, man cover and all, Ser # is 008__ I believe. I'm happy that this gun has been good to go. Few problems right out of the box but all went away on there own in the first couple hundred rounds. It's now my house gun with light attached.

Some were just fine, IF I would have read all the Blank blank I would have passed on a great gun.

I'm now looking at C3's if I can't find what I want used.... Hope it is just as good.

Tony

#35 ·
I have a non-railed, serial number GS04XXX that has the "manhole cover" and is marked SIGARMS GSR Revolution. Which has never given me problems (other than the front tritium sight going out).

My point here is that Sig has been so squirrelly about the markings on these guns, you can't really go by that.

Really good gun, just wished they'd offered the adjustable sights, ambi safety and magwell from the factory when I bought mine.

#37 ·
Got one the other day!~Granite Series RAIL

My friend that sold it to me printed up a little history about it. Here is the WIKI link
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SIG_GSR
and here is the Gunweek write up
http://www.gunweek.com/2004/feature0310.html
The originals have ambi safeties.My guns is so tight.....I think the previous owner shot MAYBE a box of ammo! Gotta shoot it this week! My friend thought the manhole cover was a firing pin lock for California sales!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.