So...Is Going to an Outdoor Range Risky? - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 03-29-2020, 09:32 PM

So...Is Going to an Outdoor Range Risky?

I really, I mean really want to go to my club. (It is open.)

Likely I would be one of 2 or 3 people on the forty acres.

The only thing I wold touch that wasn't under my control is the range sign in book. And the wooden table.

I dunno. It seems ok.
Old 03-29-2020, 09:41 PM

Nothing is absolutely safe.

But a trip to your club/range, as you've described it, seems to me as being far safer, not even a close comparison, than going to a grocery store.

Sensing your enjoyment of your range/club, I think I'd give myself that one pleasure during these difficult days.

But follow the well-known advisements about hand washing and not touching your face. Be sure that you're not violating any local emergency ordinances as well; now is not the time to be stopped on the road.

"Freedom is only a temporary thing unless it is backed by the blunt capability and willingness to fight back against evil with sufficient arms." -- Myself

Last edited by chrysanthemum; 03-29-2020 at 09:48 PM.
Old 03-29-2020, 09:55 PM

3 people on 40 care is about as much "social distancing" as humanly possible....
I must study politics and war, that our sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy. Our sons ought to study mathematics and philosophy, geography, natural history and naval architecture, navigation, commerce and agriculture in order to give their children a right to study painting, poetry, music, architecture, statuary, tapestry and porcelain. ~ John Adams
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2020, 10:00 PM

My club is open also. As soon as some good weather and my time get together, I plan on going.

No reason to think its unsafe from a CV standpoint.
Old 03-29-2020, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldguy9 View Post
I really, I mean really want to go to my club. (It is open.)

Likely I would be one of 2 or 3 people on the forty acres.

The only thing I wold touch that wasn't under my control is the range sign in book. And the wooden table.

I dunno. It seems ok.
With only 2-3 people, and on 40 acres,,,dream come true. Bring your own pen,,use gloves for sign in. And let your finger get some well deserved trigger time. Or go to a BLM area,,no fuss no muss.

Thank you,

Henry

BUY AMERICAN.
Old 03-29-2020, 11:33 PM

Figuring out where to shoot right now is tough.

The shooting facility 10 minutes from my house main range is re-opening April 1st, they have 67 shooting tables around 6 to 8 feet apart...a little to crowded for me right now. Our league ranges at the same facility are closed, not sure when they will open those back up.

Indoor ranges I am thinking are a no go.

Next option is the desert, but with all the snowflakes with their new blasters figuring that might be more dangerous than the virus. But might try to truck in deep enough to find some open space.
Old 03-30-2020, 05:45 AM

As far a CV risk, outdoor range, as long as you have your own pit, it is very safe, you can put plastic bags over the shooting table if you want....

In my case though, because I am over 60 and on chemo, I have made the decision not to shoot until this is over. **** can happen when shooting, blow back, Glock foot, etc. We train and take precautions so these don't happen, but they can nevertheless.

Last thing in the world I want to do is to have to have contact right now with the medical establishment. I have to stay healthy, for myself, and more importantly, for my family obligations. If you have no choice that is one thing, but God Willing, I want to stay away from the medical establishment. The medical establishment people are all hero's in my mind working on the front-line to fight this war, BTW.

I dry fire 2X a week, once with my SIRT, and once with one of my many guns. It keeps your skills up. Not my first rodeo, I have been away from shooting for many months before, you get right back into it after a good shoot if you were dry-firing all along. Life and shooting will go on.
Ekeibolon - Jeff Cooper

Last edited by combat auto; 03-30-2020 at 05:52 AM.
Old 03-30-2020, 08:23 AM

As far as I can tell they closed all the indoor and outdoor ranges here in Texas. You would have to own a farm or ranch or a lot of acres to have your own private range to shoot on.
Old 03-30-2020, 09:10 AM

You should never go to an outdoor range, or for that matter an indoor range. To do so greatly increases the likelihood of getting shot by all the newbie gun owners.

At least if they have to stay six feet away or more, this might slightly increase your odds of getting out of there alive.....
Old 03-30-2020, 09:43 AM

I've been shooting skeet throughout the Covid-19 crisis and so have 90% of our club's usual skeet shooters, about 20-25 people. We use only 2 shooters to operate the bird throwing remote and they use hand sanitizer before and after exchanging the remote. We stay at least 6' from each other and drive there in separate cars. I shot skeet yesterday and plan on going again today.

Some may say I'm irresponsible, but I say that this "crisis" is way overblown, that it's no different than the Hong Kong flu, SARS, the Asian flu, and every other flu I've lived through in my life. Common sense must enter into the equation at some point.
Old 04-01-2020, 06:39 PM

And they just closed one of the largest shooting facilities in the country to the public:

https://www.azgfd.com/shooting/shoot...CND9gvJgneAm54
Old 04-02-2020, 10:15 AM

I have access to two outdoor private ranges that are both open, they just canceled all organized events. As soon as it warms enough to melt the snow we got last night, I will head to the closest one. Trigger therapy is what I need right now.
Old 04-02-2020, 01:58 PM

our club is open (outdoor range) and I plan to go tomorrow. I don't think it's any less safe that any other flu season. Transmission is the same, so keep your hands clean and don't touch anything you don't have to. Maybe take a small bottle of hand sanitizer with you if it makes you feel better. Me, I'm just gonna go shoot!

Joe
NRA Benefactor Member
"Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat"
Old 04-02-2020, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joepilot View Post
our club is open (outdoor range) and I plan to go tomorrow. I don't think it's any less safe that any other flu season. Transmission is the same, so keep your hands clean and don't touch anything you don't have to. Maybe take a small bottle of hand sanitizer with you if it makes you feel better. Me, I'm just gonna go shoot!
‘Transmission is the same’? You know that how?.........
Old 04-02-2020, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TominMO View Post
You should never go to an outdoor range, or for that matter an indoor range. To do so greatly increases the likelihood of getting shot by all the newbie gun owners.

At least if they have to stay six feet away or more, this might slightly increase your odds of getting out of there alive.....
My gun club has never had a firearm injury in over 35 years. We screen & observe all our new member prospects before accepting them as members. No reason to believe that would change now. I would shoot there anytime. Unfortunately, my club has decided to close anyway or, I would be there.
Old 04-02-2020, 04:44 PM

The club I belong to has not closed yet and I have gone a few times in the last week All in all it has been prety quiet, yesterday I had the range all to myself. Picked up 1K of 9mm brass so I was very happy.
Old 04-02-2020, 06:41 PM

Public Restrooms are the risk. I doubt every user will/would effectively meet the cleaning protocols.
Old 04-02-2020, 08:02 PM

My IDPA club has suspended all matches until farther notice.
Old 04-03-2020, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter59 View Post
‘Transmission is the same’? You know that how?.........
Information from the CDC.

Joe
NRA Benefactor Member
"Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat"
Old 04-03-2020, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank in Arkansa View Post
My IDPA club has suspended all matches until farther notice.
Yep, our club has suspended all organized matches too. We're only open for individuals to shoot, so long we we practice the appropriate "social distancing" as called out by the state and federal guidelines.

Joe
NRA Benefactor Member
"Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat"
Old 04-03-2020, 10:53 AM

Probably depends on the distance between people.

I used to go to the range about twice a week, now I've remained at home for almost four weeks now.
Old 04-03-2020, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenring1911 View Post
And they just closed one of the largest shooting facilities in the country to the public:

https://www.azgfd.com/shooting/shoot...CND9gvJgneAm54
The public range close to me in Tucson,AZ is open. My buddy lives in Phoenix and is bummed about Ben Avery closing since he was planning on going this weekend.
Old 04-03-2020, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbaza3 View Post
The public range close to me in Tucson,AZ is open. My buddy lives in Phoenix and is bummed about Ben Avery closing since he was planning on going this weekend.
Tell your buddy to come out and practice on Thursday nights, if he likes it can show up at some sanctioned matches as well.

https://www.cactusmatch.com/
Old 04-03-2020, 09:32 PM

Do the people you shoot with, practice safe handling skills?

Than it's NOT risky.