1911Forum banner

NICS to "temporarily disable" 3/30/2020

5K views 33 replies 21 participants last post by  brickeyee 
#1 ·
I got an email from NICS this afternoon. They will be "temporarily disabling" the NICS background check system Monday March 30. No doubt they have been overwhelmed, and they are short staffed. That said you can't buy a gun from a store without passing a NICS background check in most states unless your concealed permit allows to do so.

So no way to do a background check means you can buy a gun but you can't take it with you.

A right denied? Defacto gun control?

#2 ·
This is something POTUS needs to address. Someone needs to start one of those WH petitions they have to answer after 100k signatures (or whatever the number is).

Sure seems like a federal attempt at gun control across 50 States. There are ways to plus up federal staff to avoid short staffing.

#4 ·
This is exactly what we were warning about back when waiting periods and such were first enacted in 1993. All it takes is for the government ot be unable to process checks and suddenly nobody in this country can legally buy a gun.

#7 ·
NICS has had computer issues for ENICS since inception, and the call center has issues from time to time. They have had short interruptions in the past but always came back in service after a prescribed time.

This is something different, no time frame given, just "temporarily".

Given current events that "temporary" time frame sucks.

Well if anything the liberal commies that want to buy a gun now can get a taste of what all their BS legislation throughout the years have cost us.

Reap what ye sow commietards.

#6 ·
Pennsylvania has a PICS system which is tied into NICS. I recalled getting notices they would be down periodically for ''system maintenance and upgrades'' , when I was in the business.

#13 ·
Very bad precedent. :barf:

It's really troubling when persons in government roles decide that the Constitution no longer matters... except when they want it to.:barf:

The Constitution was not written and enacted as a menu of options.

#18 ·
More B.S., I didn't get any such e-mail. Why do you guys start this B.S.? I did a background this evening, took about 5 minutes, no backup.

#20 · (Edited)
More B.S., I didn't get any such e-mail. Why do you guys start this B.S.? I did a background this evening, took about 5 minutes, no backup.
It isn't Monday yet, genius.

#23 · (Edited)
@ contender85: Thanks for the clarity provided. Perhaps the OP got these emails too, but misinterpreted them?

@ glider: Your comment was still irrelevant since you bought a gun on Friday, even before this new info about the weekend. No thoughts on why you didn't get the emails.

#24 · (Edited)
Here is what the word "temporary" can mean:

WW2 temporary barracks still around at Fort Lost in the Woods, MO. In 1983 at Fort Bragg, NC our company used these temporary barracks as our HQ.

#29 ·
Just to clarify, there's a difference between "temporary " and "life cycle". Speaking for the FT Bragg barracks and work space, they were built in the early years of WWII. They were designed with a 25 year service life. My grandfather lived in one in 1942, have a picture of him, with the building number. In 2003, I lived in one of those buildings for 2 months- as fate would have it, the SAME buildings that my grandfather lived in back in 1942.... i worked out of one in 2007.
They're all gone now.... but they did outlive their programmed service life....

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.