1911Forum banner

Whos got the Nastiest 10mm load??

61K views 47 replies 19 participants last post by  Colt1911a11 
#1 ·
Im not talking about over-pressure, but just the Hottest, meanest, fastest load you have, or have seen chrono-ed.
I like to use 165 Hollowpoints/ powerpistol myself, but without a chrono, I cant contribute any speeds or PF. :(

#2 · (Edited)
I don't like light bullets, especially in the 10mm so I use the 200 gr. XTP over the MAX charge listed for AA # 9 in Norma or Starline brass w/CCI 300 primers.

It is a healthy load to be sure and one that shoots very well in my custom Colt DE and also in a G20 that I once had. :rock:

Chrono results thru a 5" Bar-Sto bbl. in the DE showed the 200 gr. bullets moving at 1143.6 fps.

A MAX load of AA #9 with the Win. 175 gr. STHP thru the same pistol produced 12795. fps.

A MAX load of HS-6 also works well with the 200 gr. XTP bullet.

Consult your loading manuals for the exact charges.

#4 ·
not sure what yer askin', but I've been called nasty

My 135g/ 1800+fps?
My 155g/ 1600+?
My 180g/ 1500+?
My 200g/ 1400+?
My 220g/ 1300+?

I no longer load for or own a 10mm platform.

If you really want to buy ammo, look at BuffaloBore and CorBon and DoubleTap.

After you've broken your gun and wallet recommend investigating the Winchester 175g Silvertip load.

#5 ·
My 135g/ 1800+fps?
:eek::eek::eek:
Kule!!!

If you really want to buy ammo, look at BuffaloBore and CorBon and DoubleTap.

After you've broken your gun and wallet recommend investigating the Winchester 175g Silvertip load.
Funny, Ive got all that, Im looking forward to shooting the Buffalo Bore.
Now if I could ever get Fusion to give me back my parts, Ill go try 'em out.:mad:

#6 · (Edited)
I take it you're more interested in 'bragging rights" or some such thing rather than any actual performance failures of your present loadings?

Lighter faster rounds will induce 'snappier' recoil, heavier slower ones more of a push. All published 10mm loads taken to or at least near max should achieve acceptable results for either paper punching or self defense.

#10 · (Edited)
I take it you're more interested in 'bragging rights" or some such thing rather than any actual performance failures of your present loadings?
Yeah, thats pretty much it, braggin rights, I guess.
But Im also curious about the Downsides of any and all loads.
I hear about the 10mm being such a powerful cartridge, but nothing commercial seems to have anymore power than a hot .357...(other than some that were mentioned above) So, Ive just started trying to research the cartridge in general. I know about the Lighter/faster vs. Slower/heavier debate, and if I want uber-light/fast, I tend to grab my 9.
However, When I saw the 1800fps load, though, I was a little dumbfounded. It was more than what I had thought even the 10mm was capable of.

None what so ever and less wear and tear on your firearm.

Maybe a little off topic but them maybe not. I love to read about the guys who load to see how big/bright they can get their muzzle flash! :eek:
Oh, I can agree to that; and I already have my target/plinker load figured out (roughly). I was just curious who had loads on the other end of the speed spectrum. However, to play devil's advocate; If you arent really concerned so much with the speed of your bullet; Why exactly did you get a 10mm??......jussssayin.

Ive only fired 11 rounds through mine, then I dissasembled it, and its scattered throughout the country right now being re-done.
So, in the down time, I am mainly trying to find what people have done with all weights of bullets.

Thanks for all your replies, guys. Im really glad yer all here.:rock:

#7 ·
I've been loading the 10mm for 11 years now. Most people new to the 10mm find that the loads commercially available to are very anemic.

Unfortunately I fired up all of my original full power Norma 200 gr. loads a long time ago.

I personally witnessed two of the Norma loads fired out of a stock Colt DE completely penetrate a 1 1/2" 2'x3' sheet of Lexan that came out of a bank remodel job.

As far as bragging rights, no need here. I’m quite pleased with my 200 gr. XTP load on top of the MAX loading of AA #9 in my DE. I guarantee you; they will give you more than just a push when it comes to the recoil! They are however, no where near the full power of the old Norma ammo.

1143.6 fps = 576 ft. lbs. of energy rounded off.

The 175 gr. STHP load = 635 ft. lbs. of energy.

Hot enough for my DE. :rock:

#11 ·
i also began loading 10 mm about 5 or so years ago.mostly just plinkers along with a couple of boxes of hunting ammo every year.i prefer the 180 and 200 grain weights as i don't take shots over 100 yards with my handgun.

i have shot a couple of cases of double tap just to see what the fuss was about.

i too use aa#9 and a max charge under a 180 or 200 grain jhp.they seem more than adequate so far.I've read that 800x is the way to go if you want to push the limits but personally i don't need that.
pete

#13 ·
However, to play devil's advocate; If you arent really concerned so much with the speed of your bullet; Why exactly did you get a 10mm??......jussssayin.
Because I shot my first 10mm years ago in the form of a Colt DE and loved the gun/round. That was with the original Norma loads. That was when they busted thru the Lexan!

I saw the potential to play with a new caliber but in the 1911 format which is one of my favorites.

I had a G20C and my Brother a G20. We loaded and experimented with all sorts of 10mm loads in the Glocks. I still like the G20 pistol but no longer own one.

As I stated right off, I don't like light weight bullets so the 10mm with a 200 gr. bullet at the "normal" 10mm velocities appealed to me. The lightest that I will load is the 175 gr. STHP.

At one time I had two DEs but sold one to fund the custom work that I had done on the other by EGW in PA when George Smith was turning out his very fine pistols.

I have very nice 1911 platform and a powerful ctg. to use out of it if I want to take advantage of all the available power. I don't usually use my full house loads thru it however.

#15 ·
I'm surprised that Weshoot gets 1800 f.p.s. out of a 135gr in 10mm. That's what the .40 Super factory loads ran at. Don't know that I ever saw anybody publish that they were able to do that safely with 10mm.

#17 ·
It seems the responses all end up the same way. No posting of a particular bullet, powder, and weight with the performance data. I don't go beyond the maximum listed in published data. But I can see where it would be fun to see others (don't know if they are smart or not) push to a point I tend not to got to. The OP asked for loads..... does anyone want to suggest some specifics?

#18 ·
This is what I posted at the end of one of my posts:

A MAX load of AA #9 with the Win. 175 gr. STHP thru the same pistol produced 12795. fps.

A MAX load of HS-6 also works well with the 200 gr. XTP bullet.

Consult your loading manuals for the exact charges.

The reason, liability, especially when it comes to MAX loads and how someone else reads what is posted. ;)

#19 ·
I’ll post some info
Everyone wants data but no one seems to want to work for it anymore
I have been loading the 10 since the mid 80’s

From my experience the powder that has the highest velocity potential has been No.9
It’s burn rate and configuration using very small dense ball powder are a plus here.
While this would not be my accuracy pick for all if not most loads, it will get about all you can get out of the 10MM and still keep parts off the track.
Anything much slower and you just can’t get enough of the stuff into the case to get the pressure up to develop the highest speed .
No.9 like No.7, Power Pistol, V-V N350 in the 10 has always been easy to work with for me and with little surprise. Very forgiving as you work them up the power scale
I probably burn more No.7 and N350 than anything in the 10 for a combination of accuracy and power. PP would be a close third.

Some faster medium burn rate powders like Power Pistol, V-V N340, 800-X, HS-6 are great powders and most likely will have an accuracy advantage over No.9 and will run the 10 fast.
But…. are a bit too fast to get the “highest velocity” from them.
At least in any of my testing.

For top accuracy I have had great results with powders like Titegroup, N320 (wildcated)
231 (can be monster accurate) UNIVERSAL (a real sleeper).

Since I recently had such good results using Longshot in my 9x23 Winchester loadings I am starting a whole new load work up with it in the 10, It may prove to be a nice compromise between power and accuracy. Time will tell.

Below are some “Nasty” 10MM load data and speed-readings I obtained using AA No.9
To get these results most if not all the load data is in excess of most if not all published data you would find for the respective loadings.

Rather than risk a problem for someone using equipment I have no idea about.
I have listed the charge weight grains red with a (+) to indicate this load is in excess of the stated load weight and published data
THESE ARE NOT STARTING CHARGE WEIGHTS, but the used charge weight “plus” additional weight.
This way as you are working the loads up you can use your chronograph readings for comparison.
These are not loadings which I would operate on a sustained basis.
ALL of the firearms used are either stock or modified using Fully Supported Ramped Barrels.
I would not attempt any high performance loading in ANY gun or ANY caliber the case is not fully supported.
This data is for comparison use in similar guns or platforms

Good Luck (Zoom, Zoom) :)

Bullet NOS 135 JHP (Accurate no longer recommends using No.9 with this bullet) I still use it though
Powder 17.0 + grs. AA No.9
Primer Fed. Large
Case Winchester
COAL 1.250”
Gun Smith 1006
Chronograph 1522 fps

Bullet NOS 150 JHP
Powder 16.0 + grs. AA No. 9
Primer Fed. Large
Case Norma
COAL 1.255”
Gun Para-Ord
Chronograph 1473 fps

Bullet REM 180 JHP
Powder grs. 14.0 + grs. AA No.9
Primer Fed. Large Match
Case Federal
COAL 1.255”
Gun Colt DGC
Chronograph 1308 fps

Bullet HDY 200 XTP
Powder 13.0 + grs. AA No.9
Primer Fed. Large Match
Case Norma
COAL 1.255”
Gun Colt DGC
Chronograph 1213 fps

#33 · (Edited)
Everyone wants data but no one seems to want to work for it anymore
No, I am merely trying to see what people are doing with their 10s. If the recipe is included, it is much the better for me to try to work up to something similar, but without a chrony of my own, Ive no way to tell what I have. Im not about to start at max loads, much less so at loads posted here; and I pray that noone here is stupid enough to do that.

I have the PP already, so thats nice; maybe time to pick up some AA7 or 9....(starts thinkin)

Also, everyone cool it. No needs to start the pissing match on whats supposed to be a light-hearted thread.

#20 ·
Bullet HDY 200 XTP
Powder 13.0 + grs. AA No.9
Primer Fed. Large Match
Case Norma
COAL 1.255”
Gun Colt DGC
Chronograph 1213 fps

This load flattened primers (CCI 300) and enlarged the primer pockets in both Norma and new Starline brass in both my G20C and Colt DE after only two firings.

#34 ·
God Damn right those primers flattened and those pockets opened up
They better if you’re loading over twelve and a half grains of No.9 under the 200 grainer
Can ya say “giddy up”

I never stated I recommend these loadings, only that over the last twenty five years loading the 10 I worked some powders up a time or two

By the way, for the new or uninitiated in loading the 10MM
You can and will see flattened primers using pedestrian loadings, it’s just part of the breed.
But the loose pockets that Jim mentioned is a sure sign in the 10 (most any loadings or calibers) that you are pushing way to hard.
Good Luck :)

#21 ·
My impression of the average attention span and attention to detail of a minority of folks makes we worried just posting 'published, safe' loads, let alone those that are clearly over max.

Nobody reads the fine print, often new reloaders too, and guaranteed 'somebody' is only going to read Gerk's posted data and have a problem when they go over his published numbers, if his published numbers don't kaboom their handgun in the first place.

Maybe I'm just being overly anal this morning?

#26 ·
MasterSmith, nor did you. I was actually trying to help the OP get loading data by posting. I don't have any over max data, do not advocate such reloading, and would caution anyone in doing so. I don't have any equipment that would verify such a thing. But the OP asked specifically for loading data and many people only reponded by not giving a specific load. Read my original post. If you want to answer the OP's question then do so.

#28 ·
For the biggest muzzle flash, I prefer Power Pistol. To me, if you want to put on a show, that makes more sense than stressing the pistol with max loads. I mean, what are you shooting at? Unless you're plinking at discarded armored vehicles, the target's not going to know if it got hit at 1150fps or 1250fps.
I've used only AA7 for max loads, and it's my understanding that AA9 will top out at lower velocities than AA7, as 9 will fill the case before you reach the same velocities that you get with less 7. Ramshot Enforcer is "supposed to be" AA9 by another name, and I have used that powder with success, but not for full-power loads (135 @ 1450 apparently not being full-power . . .).
Col. Cooper's intent for the 10mm was 200gr @ 1050fps ("1000fps impact velocity"), and magnumizing of the round was essentially a mistake that was not corrected before Norma started cranking out ammo.

#29 ·
Hmm....kinda like how the 41 police was magnumized by S&W/Remington. Figures.

To the original poster or anyone interested in full 10mm loads...

With that in mind...a lot of manuals have watered down loading data for the 10mm...some worse than others. Pick up a copy of Pet Loads by Ken Waters..it will explain the best method shy of actual pressure testing equipment to determine if your load is pushing the pressure envelope too far. You can also head over to glocktalk.com and hit up there 10mm reloading section...Mike McNett posted a lot of worked up loads that went above and beyond what manuals said was max -- Be weary of duplicating these loads, for one they are over manual spec and two most of his info was posted several years ago....powders, primers, etc all change over that time.

The fastest load I've chronographed so far was double tap 200 grain XTP that is 5 years old. Advertised at 1200 from a 4.6" barrel it went 1149 from my 3.78" barrel. Lately though it seems none of the doubletap loads are putting up the numbers they claim, something has changed drastically.

#38 ·
and I wish to add

While my post was intended to show the full potential of the 10mm from autoloading pistols, I must stress that those results came from ammo loaded well over SAAMI specifications, and those loads --any of them--WILL INCREASE WEAR and DECREASE SERVICE LIFE.

Perhaps radically and immediately.

For those wishing to explore them, and are willing to potentially destroy their gun doing so, e-mail direct.
I hope my message is utterly clear.

#40 · (Edited)
There may very well be some better edge using the Accurate powders. I use as a max. 12.6 grains of Blue Dot under a 155 grain Hornady XTP for about 1,350 fps. This is published data from either Lee's Reloading or One Book One Caliber. I haven't noticed any problem case splits or primer pocket enlargement though I've only used the same cases 3 times in my DW PM-7. I'm not confident to go over this loading in Blue Dot.

One Correction: the One Book One Caliber states that max charge for 155 Hornady XTP, is 12.9 grains Blue Dot for 1450 fps. with OAL of 1.260 in a Colt Delta Elite. I have not tried this load.

#41 ·
It’s not that there is some “inherent advantage” to using Accurate powders over any other with the exception that Accurate handgun powders meter and flow as good as any and in most cases better than any I have ever used for the applications I use them in.
It really is what your gun and load combination likes

People are always asking me why I burn so much of No.7 and No.9 in my 9MM, 9x23
.44 Magnum and 454
In the 44 and 454 with 300-grain bullets No.9 while not the fastest is the most consistently accurate. I can count on it
Sometimes using H110 or 296 things can move around a bit
If I new I had a reliable supply of N105, N110 and N120 things might be different.
(My .357 Super Mag loves N120)

The other main reason (and this almost never gets appreciated) is AVAILABILITY

There is no sense in doing all the development working up a nice load and then have problems getting the powder.
I have never had a problem obtaining No.7 or No.9 or for that matter BULLSEYE, CLAYS, Titegroup, WST, 231, UNIVERSAL, Power Pistol, Longshot, H110 or 296 so these are some of the powders I base my development on.
This has not always been the case with say N350 or N105 and some other powders like 7625 that I worked with and liked but could not always find available.

So part of Handloading successfully is sometimes being pragmatic
You have to have the juice to make it go

As far as BLUE DOT goes I have used it with some success but between availability and the fact that the large flakes can meter poorly, when I have loaded it in the 10MM when working at the upper end of the scale I found it to be somewhat erratic.

The data you posted from the Load Book looks like it was taken from Hornady manual, they the list the same data
Good Luck :)

#43 ·
And rightly so, Alliant makes great powders.
It is easy to become “brand loyal” if the powders are working for you.
But I always would suggest testing the waters with other manufactures to see what magic could be discovered.
Sometimes it really is out there.

I use several Alliant powders that are just great.
I have several BULLSEYE loads in 45ACP, I use Power Pistol in 9MM, .38 Super and 10MM
(I plan on doing a string of testing using PP in the 9x23 as soon as I’m done testing in Longshot with it)
I was a pretty fair user of 2400 in .44 Mag and 454 until I found No.9 was more consistently accurate so I switched.
I still would use it if No.9 went away
For big booming in the hand cannons it’s H110
When you load a lot of calibers it helps to narrow down when you can.
All endeavors by human beings require some level of management to be fully successful

RL-19 is MOA or better in my 7MM WSM
I use RL-22 in my 7MM STW and it’s like shooting a straight line out to 300 yards
Just freaking amazing. This is a perfect powder for the STW overbore case.

A hunting partner of mine wanted to hunt deer in the “copper only” zone last year with his .270 WSM and didn’t want to spend 60.00 for a box of ammo so I made up a batch for him using the Barnes 130gr. TSX bullet.
All copper but has a very respectable B.C. of .431 so it fly’s well down range.
The first batch out of His Browning Stainless Stalker were sub-MOA using RL-19
I don’t chalk this up to anything special I did, I’m sure the RL-19 did more of the job than me.
Over the years Alliant has been “berry berry good” to me. :)

#45 ·
+1 to that.:biglaugh: My work car has gone from my V8 cougar, down to a Geo. The ride IS a lot more fun in the V8, but the "practicality" eventually gets to most every man....
...Just like in firearms.:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.