1911Forum banner

SW 1911 First Range Trip

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  ron556 
#1 ·
Well... took my new SW1911 Model #108285 to the outdoor range today... put 150 rounds of Federal American Eagle 230gr FMJ through it without a hitch... only problem was that it was consistently shooting to the left... target was out at 25 yards... thought that it might have been me since it has been a while since I have been to the range... borrowed my friends Kimber Series I Custom Target and put 5-for-5 in the shoot-n-see paint (that Kimber of his just loves hardball)... so, I guess I need to take it into a gunsmith with a rest and have him get the sights adjusted... sure is sweet shooting a 1911... at least the 9 o'clock position was all pretty tight... will report back after the adjustments are made... thanks, POA.

#2 ·
The only way to adjust the sights is for you to shoot the gun and adjust the sights accordingly. I am not familiar with the S&W 1911 but on any gun move the rear sight the direction you need the bullet to go.

If it is adjustable sight turn the windage screw in the direction that says"right or R". If it is a fixed sight, use a small brass punch and drift it slightly to the right. Of course if it has an allen screw,loosen that first.

Then shoot it again and adjust as needed.

#3 · (Edited)
glad you liked your S+W. i got an S+W SC [commander length] a few months ago [on an "impulse" purchase].:D ironically enough, it's the only smith i own. anyways, i was impressed with the feel and boy, was it stupidly accurate. i've run several hundred rounds through it [winnie white box, american eagle, GA arms, etc.] w/o a hiccup. also ran a box of 230-grain hydra-shoks, as well; swallowed it all with no problems.

excellent weapon, very light [which can make the hot stuff unpleasant], but i was really satisfied. good carry piece, too. i trade between that and my kimber nowadays [do i want aluminum or scandium today? ah, decisions!]:biglaugh:

if i could only keep my eyes off of those GSRs... man, i need another 1911 like i need a hole in the head.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.