Treasure found after 48 years - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 07-28-2018, 03:29 PM

Treasure found after 48 years

My father bought me a Winchester 67A in .22S, L, and LR in 1962 when I was 6 years old. It's a single shot, bolt action rifle with a 20" barrel. The last time I remember seeing that rifle was sometime in 1970.

Through the years I've wondered what happened to my first firearm. So many rounds put through it, so many fond memories.

Well last week in going through my father's closets helping him clean out his home I found it.

The bore is in pristine condition, and the walnut stock is in excellent condition. As you can imagine, the bluing isn't so great having not been stored in a soft rifle case, but there is no surface rust, but what I would term, a patina coating on the barrel. The chrome bolt shows no signs of rust.

The action was a little gritty, but after a thorough cleaning, and oiling, everything is back into pristine condition.

This gun was manufactured in New Haven, CT when the real Winchester Co. still existed.

As you can imagine, I was so stoked finding this childhood firearm, with all it's fabulous memories.

Last edited by Mike_Dee; 07-28-2018 at 03:35 PM.
Old 07-28-2018, 03:40 PM

wow, lucky guy!

I'm still searching for my grandfather's Ranger 22 bolt action....
Around 1970, I borrowed it and refinished the stock and touched up the blueing.
Then I gave it back to him. He was so happy to see it all nice again.

After he died, it disappeared. I think my cousins or uncle took it and a lot of them are dead already too. LOL
Old 07-28-2018, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfut808 View Post
wow, lucky guy!

I'm still searching for my grandfather's Ranger 22 bolt action....
Around 1970, I borrowed it and refinished the stock and touched up the blueing.
Then I gave it back to him. He was so happy to see it all nice again.

After he died, it disappeared. I think my cousins or uncle took it and a lot of them are dead already too. LOL
Bummer.
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2018, 04:17 PM

What a wonderful story, and great find. These kind of things stir the emotions and memories we all have. A fine old rifle. Congratulations!
Old 07-28-2018, 04:28 PM

cool

That is so cool that you found it after all this time!!!
Old 07-28-2018, 04:40 PM

I fully understand why you are stoked.....I still have my first .22 rifle, and it could not be purchased!!
Old 07-28-2018, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Dee View Post
Bummer.
===========
yeah, too bad about my grandfather's rifle.
But I'm happy for you and your "new" found gun. It's always great to discover old family treasures.

But on the plus side, I did take possession of my other uncle's 22 rifle and also refinished and reblued that. A Winchester 52A. That is an heirloom to be passed on the most deserving child.

You got kids that want to inherit your stuff?
Old 07-28-2018, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfut808 View Post
You got kids that want to inherit your stuff?
I do indeed. I have my first grandson who will be one year old next month.
Old 07-28-2018, 06:09 PM

Nice.
Old 07-28-2018, 09:14 PM

Yeah, that's a treasure.
Old 07-29-2018, 08:21 AM
Administrator

That is so cool! Congratulations.
Old 07-29-2018, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Burke View Post
That is so cool! Congratulations.
Thanks, it was really exciting to reconnect with my first childhood firearm.
Old 07-31-2018, 01:03 AM

Wow.
Old 08-01-2018, 03:24 PM

Made before serial numbers were required some impossible to date.
Old 08-01-2018, 09:59 PM
Administrator

Cool story, and congratulations on finding it again. No doubt it brought back a flood of memories. I'm not too proud to admit that I still have some of the toys I played with as a young boy. I wish I had somebody to pass them down to, but I guess when I'm ready to let go of them I'll have to donate them to some church group at Christmas time. As far as guns go, I still have my Daisy 880 that I've had since my early teens, and of course I still have all my dad's REAL guns that he owned before I even came around.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 08-01-2018, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
Cool story, and congratulations on finding it again. No doubt it brought back a flood of memories. I'm not too proud to admit that I still have some of the toys I played with as a young boy. I wish I had somebody to pass them down to, but I guess when I'm ready to let go of them I'll have to donate them to some church group at Christmas time. As far as guns go, I still have my Daisy 880 that I've had since my early teens, and of course I still have all my dad's REAL guns that he owned before I even came around.
I gave my step grandson my boyhood Crossman BB gun a few years back.

I'm giving my grandson my prized boyhood Matchbox collection for his first bday this month. Matchbox when they were made in England. I hope he gets as many hours of enjoyment out of them as I did. His mom (my daughter) is a UC Berkeley graduate, so I'm not to sure about passing on my guns to him. We'll see how that goes LOL.
Old 08-03-2018, 11:24 AM

Awesome find!!!! Congrats!

Quote:
His mom (my daughter) is a UC Berkeley graduate, so I'm not to sure about passing on my guns to him. We'll see how that goes LOL.
Just live until he's over 21 and then she can freak out, without recourse!! Just be sure to teach him about the guns and shooting before you kick it. ...lol
Old 08-03-2018, 06:39 PM

I have the very same rifle model. It was my Dads when he was a boy. One day I will pass it on to my Son (or future grandson if I don’t get board with it sooner).
Old 08-04-2018, 06:57 AM

Winchester 67A .22

I had the same model rifle when I turned 13. I bought it pretty cheap from a teen age friend, since he had gotten a new semi auto .22.

I used it for hunting rabbit and squirrel with excellent results. Since it was a single shot, I knew I had to have a good shot. This taught me patience to wait for a good clear shot and take dead aim. I only shot .22 long rifle, since I was told it was the more accurate and powerful than shorts and longs.

I eventually traded my single shot Winchester and a single shot 12 gauge shotgun for a Savage over/under .22/20 gauge shotgun. This was a great gun for hunting small game like jackrabbits. If I walked up on one and spooked him into running, I had a better chance of a hit by shooting the shotgun as it ran.....after about 40 yards, if I missed with the shotgun, they would often stop and look to see if I was chasing.....and I wasn't. I clicked the trigger to the .22, took dead aim, and nailed them at the longer shot......

Last edited by Rwehavinfunyet; 08-04-2018 at 06:59 AM.
Old 08-06-2018, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwehavinfunyet View Post
I had the same model rifle when I turned 13. I bought it pretty cheap from a teen age friend, since he had gotten a new semi auto .22.

I used it for hunting rabbit and squirrel with excellent results. Since it was a single shot, I knew I had to have a good shot. This taught me patience to wait for a good clear shot and take dead aim. I only shot .22 long rifle, since I was told it was the more accurate and powerful than shorts and longs.

I eventually traded my single shot Winchester and a single shot 12 gauge shotgun for a Savage over/under .22/20 gauge shotgun. This was a great gun for hunting small game like jackrabbits. If I walked up on one and spooked him into running, I had a better chance of a hit by shooting the shotgun as it ran.....after about 40 yards, if I missed with the shotgun, they would often stop and look to see if I was chasing.....and I wasn't. I clicked the trigger to the .22, took dead aim, and nailed them at the longer shot......
The model 67 is an incredibly accurate single shot. So glad I found it. It's priceless to me.
Old 08-06-2018, 09:46 PM

Great story. I've still got my first, a Remington Model 514 (bolt action, single shot, .22 short/long/long rifle, 24 " barrel, walnut stock). I got it when I was 14. It's more that 60 years old and still fun to shoot.
Old 09-08-2018, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluzman View Post
Great story. I've still got my first, a Remington Model 514 (bolt action, single shot, .22 short/long/long rifle, 24 " barrel, walnut stock). I got it when I was 14. It's more that 60 years old and still fun to shoot.
What a treasure. Post a pic if you can, I'd like to see than rifle. There's just something about a single shot long gun that slows me down, and let's me enjoy the shooting experience that much more.
Old 09-08-2018, 06:40 PM

Quote:
What a treasure. Post a pic if you can, I'd like to see than rifle. There's just something about a single shot long gun that slows me down, and let's me enjoy the shooting experience that much more.
Here ya' go.

Old 09-09-2018, 09:56 AM

Nice that you found it again. I had a .22 Win Single shot for many many years. My mother bought it used for me with I was around ten years old. I used it for hunting and plinking for many years too. I got talked into selling it years ago and I still regret it.
Old 09-09-2018, 10:29 AM

Not sure if mine was the exact model but it looks like my first .22 I received as a 12 year old. Seems like the bolt would come unscrewed sometimes. There wasn't a "jack" within miles that was safe from young "John Wayne"! By the time I was 16 car insurance was more important than culling rabbits and sold it along with a new Ruger 10/22. Some 40 years later I was on a "check the welfare" call and found both in a gun cabinet still owned by the guy that bought them from me! (He was OK too!)

Life goes on......